z

Young Writers Society

What is the limit on how many works I can post in one day?

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:34 am
Atticus says...

I've been working on a short novel (10,000 words), and I have some of it ready to put up. I would like to get some of it up before Review Day since I think it's the best opportunity to get reviews, but I don't know if there's a rule, official or unnofficial, that you can't post more than this many literary works in one day. If someone has an answer, it would be most helpful if I could get it tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks!
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 am
Mea says...

There's no hard-coded limit other than the number of points you have, nor do I think we have an official rule, but it is a bit rude to post more than 5-10 works at a time. If somebody were to post 20+ works at once we would probably as moderators tell you not to do that again.

I don't know that you're going to have a problem with that, though. You only want to post 10,000 words, and a good length for works on here is 1-2000 words, so that would put you at 10 works at most, and I think that would be okay, though maybe space them out over the next two days.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 am
Lavvie says...

This is a good question! I may be corrected by someone else more knowledgeable, but from my understanding the points system is in place to somewhat limit the number of works a user posts. However, for people like yourself who have collected a great deal of points, this doesn't work well.

Think of it this way: it is probably more beneficial for you and your story to not post all chapters at once. If someone reviews Chapter 1, you might realize you need to change something that happens later in your story, or decide to tweak the rest of your story. Posting everything at once doesn't give your story the possibility to be gradually enjoyed and reviewed, and for you to learn and grow. Also, it would be greatly unfair to swamp the Green Room with your story.

If you want to have your short novel read in its entirety, I would like to direct you to Novel Workshop, where you can have willing members read your novel as a whole and give you feedback suited to your needs. (Be sure to read the Instructions there.)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:48 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It's allowed, but not recommended.

I try to keep 2-3 chapters posted at the same time. For Review Day, you often notice sometimes 10+ chapters of the same work lingering in the back, just because the commitment is fairly heavy to read a multi-chapter work in a day to review it.

It sounds strange, but fewer chapters up at once can get you better reviews!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

561 Reviews

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 am
Atticus says...

Follow-up question if anyone's still on:

Is it better to split it up into bigger chunks? Normally I feel like it's considered rude to post more than 2,000 words, so most of mine are about 1,000, but if other people feel differently, I'm more than willing to put them up longer chapters.
[he/him]

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 am
Virgil says...

@MJTucker Putting up longer chapters isn't rude! 2k-3k is still pretty short, though note that the chapters might take a bit longer to be reviewed, though the Will Review For Food forum is great for requesting reviews.

Breaking this into parts of 2.5k or so might be a nice compromise being a nicely sized chapter. I don't see why you can't post chapters that are longer, just know the pros and cons of doing so. Spacing these out as @Mea said also makes this a softer blow than posting the short story all at once. Ultimately your choice.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

1272 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:00 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Fun fact: there used to be a suggested limit on YWS for chapter lengths, and that suggested limit was 1,500. I personally still try to keep it around there, but I'm fairly old school.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

561 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm
Atticus says...

Thanks @Rosendorn! I know as a reviewer I prefer shorter chapters, because then I can be more specific and point out more than just the broad things, but that might just be me.
[he/him]

1272 Reviews

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

That's exactly why there used to be an old limit lol 1,500 words is a good chunk for an in-depth review.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss