z

Young Writers Society

Ask a question here (or start a new topic!)

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Hey @RandomP4

1) You can look up all of the work by a certain person and they may have it in folders. To do this, just select the author and visit their portfolio, or, if you're on one of their works, and they have it in a folder system, then it will show up together under "Related Works" in the side bar beneath the user information.

You can also do a search using the search option in the black bar at the top of the page.

2) Chapters are updated in parts usually, but it depends on the users. Most of the time, they post new chapters as new works, and label them like Soul for Sanctuary Chapter 1 part 2/4. This means that you're on the second part of the first chapter because reviewing works is easiest on here when it's between 2,500 words to 5,000 words, and that could be much shorter than an entire chapter. Some people ignore that and post whole chapters together, in which case they would just post it up to the Chapter 1 part.

It's up to how the author wants to title their work honestly. It's author discretion.

3) Authors are encouraged to update chapter by chapter, or chapter part by chapter part because of the size of novels. We try to review everything on YWS through our system called the Green Room, where new works go until they get 2 reviews each. This means if you update in parts, small parts, you're more likely to get reviews, and, on top of that, you get more reviews the smaller the chunks are that you post.

However, each time you post, it costs points, which you get by reviewing.
Some users have posted entire books in one go, and that gets really long, barely gets any reviews, and isn't that helpful because we're trying to do reviews in about 20 minutes, and you can't read a book or hold your place on here in one sitting.

Publishing Center

The publishing system works by giving you space to post part of your work and name it. You have the option of coding with HTML, or using the buttons to code for you.

After you hit publish, you can label it under whether it's poetry, chapters, short story, etc.. On the same screen you add a blurb to attract attention in the Green Room, or on your profile [This doesn't show up on the actual work though, so don't put super important information in it that you need people to read, just offset that in the text as an author comment]. You can also label what rating it should be at so if it has mature content, like swearing, explicit scenes mentioned, etc. you can warn viewers and those warnings do show up at the top of the post. Once you finish that, you hit publish, it deducts the points, and you have a work in your portfolio on your homepage.

Every username gets a homepage, and on that page you have your portfolio, your trophies [badges that you win by participating in events like RevMo right now], and your gifts [which friends give you for 50 points a piece], as well as an 'about' section you can edit through settings, all of your reviews, and all of your posts, like this one!

So after you publish a work, it will appear in your portfolio which you can organize from the portfolio page and make folders for novels, put things in order by numbering them to go from 0 to 100+ at the bottom of the page [or they will appear so the newest work is at the bottom of the page if they are all at 0] and make things related to one another by putting them together in folders.

Reviews: 1
Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:12 pm
RandomP4 says...

*I really hope I can draw it out...*

So, when you are publishing a story, does it work like this:

Story A
|- Chapter 1
|- Chapter 2
|- Chapter 3

or:

Story A, Chapter 1
Story A, Chapter 2
Story A, Chapter 3

if you understand me...

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm
Iggy says...

Hi @RandomP4!

The best way to do this is when you're uploading each chapter of your story, make sure your title has the name of the book first and then the chapter number. For example, if I were to upload the fourth chapter of my novel, I would say "The Spark, Chapter Four".

Does that help? :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 2
Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:27 pm
PhoenixLaFay says...

Dumb question but how do I start a club and do I certain amount of points to do so?
If the sky that we look upon shall tumble and fall and the mountains shall crumble to the sea, I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear, just as long as you stand, stand by me.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm
Iggy says...

@mayalafay, no points necessary! Simply click the gear settings tab, then look for the "clubs" tab, then look at the left-hand sidebar for "create a club". :)
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 2
Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm
PhoenixLaFay says...

Iggy wrote:@mayalafay, no points necessary! Simply click the gear settings tab, then look for the "clubs" tab, then look at the left-hand sidebar for "create a club". :)

I see now. Thank you very much!
If the sky that we look upon shall tumble and fall and the mountains shall crumble to the sea, I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear, just as long as you stand, stand by me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 pm
flowerblossom856 says...

how do you earn points for publishing?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:33 pm
Iggy says...

flowerblossom856 wrote:how do you earn points for publishing?

You review! Click here to find a work to review, read the work, and then write a review for it. Talk about your opinion, point out grammar errors, offer ways to improve, and just generally give as much feedback as you can. You do need a certain amount of characters for your review to count, which is about four complete sentences. :-)

If you have any trouble reviewing, you can find review tips in this forum! :-)
- Lewis Carroll

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 am
Basil says...

I don't know if this is for a couple of people, or if it's happening to everyone, but is anyone else having trouble getting onto the writerfeed pad? I've tried on my phone and laptop, and it says the site can't be reached. Is it just me? Or is the site possibly down?
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am
Mea says...

@Basil - Several people reported it earlier in the Report a Site Bug thread, so I think it's a sitewide thing. It's not working for me either.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:22 am
Basil says...

@Mea Ah okay. Thanks ^^
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

Reviews: 4
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:10 am
rebelpilot says...

How do you link a specific post?
Lover of star wars that gives the underrated characters the respect that they deserve 8) :D :D :D

The series that I am writing -> The Beginning - Prologue and Chapter 1

#JusticeforDicer

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 am
crossroads says...

@rebelpilot - when you right-click on the date/time above a post, you get the URL of it.

Code: Select all
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=1057&start=825#p1348854

^ that, for example, will lead directly to this last post you made.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Reviews: 4
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:16 am
rebelpilot says...

@ChildOfNowhere thanks.
Lover of star wars that gives the underrated characters the respect that they deserve 8) :D :D :D

The series that I am writing -> The Beginning - Prologue and Chapter 1

#JusticeforDicer

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 pm
Valkyria says...

Hi, how do we start a portfolio about ourselves? I'm confused about that and I would like to get started please.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451