z

Young Writers Society

Ask a question here (or start a new topic!)

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:18 am
JabberHut says...

sarahjane97 wrote:I'm new to the Photography forum on this site and I have a question. Are you not allowed to post photos of people here? The reason I'm asking is because all the photos I've seen are of inanimate objects, so...

SmylinG covered most of it! Basically, yes you can. However, make sure you get permission from your subjects. Some of them may not be willing to have their picture posted online. But as long as you took the pictures, then by all means! :D
I make my own policies.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07 pm
emilybwrites says...

ok, um i am new to this site and it says i can earn points by reviewing other people's work. so i left a "reply" on someone's piece but i didn't get any points...so how do i "review" someone's work?

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 pm
SubjectBlue says...

You haven't?! weird, perhaps it was too short?
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

emilybwrites wrote:ok, um i am new to this site and it says i can earn points by reviewing other people's work. so i left a "reply" on someone's piece but i didn't get any points...so how do i "review" someone's work?

Hey Emily, and welcome to YWS!

The reason you didn't receive any points is because your review was too short! A review must have at least 250 characters to give you any points, and you won't get the full 50 points for a review until it's around 1000 characters long! That's nothing to worry about, though, because there's always a ton you can say about a work--always lots of improvements and suggestions on how the author can tweak things and make it more interesting. If you'd like help learning to review, you can check out The YWS Critique Sandwich (By: Nate).

Hope this helps!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 am
Starhunter says...

Speaking of points, what are they for? And are there other ways besides reviewing to get them?
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:29 am
SmylinG says...

Points are used mainly to post new works. It costs 100 points to post a new literary work. But you can also use them to buy things if you have enough of them, like bookmarks and stickers I think, and send gifts to other users. :smt082

You can earn points by reviewing mainly. But I think you can also earn them by welcoming new members in the Welcome Mat or by posting in the Writing Tips forum as well. At least, this is what it tells you by clicking on the little icon that reads how many points you have in the upper right hand corner of the page.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm
Starlight9 says...

I want to know how to attach images to the wall on my profile. I can't find an attachment button so can anybody help me with this?
★L9

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 pm
snowberry23 says...

How did you find the pieces to put in the YWS book that just came out on amazon?
When nothing goes right, go left

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 pm
Kamas says...

Starlight > you'll have to use an image program on the web like tinypic or imageshack. Once you've uploaded it, get the direct link and copy paste into the textbox. You then surround the link with BB code so that it looks like this:

Code: Select all
[img]link here[/img]

Snowberry > I'm not sure what exactly you're asking but if you're looking to submit pieces to the YWS Literary Journal, it's already been published and nothing can be added to it. If you're asking where to find it, you can find it here where you can then purchase it to see the pieces inside.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm
Justagirl says...

snowberry23 wrote:How did you find the pieces to put in the YWS book that just came out on amazon?

Well, snowberry, every year (I think) - since, like, 2008 - Nate has a place where you can submit a few pieces (I'm not sure if you can do more than one, I think you can) and then he (I've no idea if anyone else selects them) looks through them all and chooses a few to go into the Young Writers Literary Journal for that year. Usually, I think the selection happens earlier in the year and we've already done the selection for the 2011 Young Writers Literary Journal. It's a really great read and I recommend buying it.

Hope that helped you!

-Just
Last edited by Justagirl on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 pm
marielaurent2223 says...

I know there is a blog on here but what goes into a blog on here i have never put a blog post on here. Since i do not understand what to do or how to write one on here to post. Because i do not know if its a story posting blog or a blog on my thoughts can anyone explain it to me please?
"I looked out over the horizon seeing the city in rubles through my hideout made me realize i am not at home." ~Christine Winters from A Watcher in the night (Dark retold novel of Red Riding Hood!)

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 pm
SmylinG says...

marielaurent2223 wrote:I know there is a blog on here but what goes into a blog on here i have never put a blog post on here. Since i do not understand what to do or how to write one on here to post. Because i do not know if its a story posting blog or a blog on my thoughts can anyone explain it to me please?

Your blog is just that, Marie, your blog. :mrgreen: If you're that curious or unsure about what different users post in their blogs, you can simply browse around here at recent blog entries. You can really post anything you'd like on it though. Whether it be thoughts on a certain matter or just a recollection of your days activities. Though, most people do use their YWS blog as a sort of personal blog. To talk about school or how their writing is going, to post a weird survey, or just to rant to the world. You have the freedom to do what you please with it. For me personally, I make posts when I have something I want to share that I figure someone might take an interest in reading. Just recently I posted a blog on my trip to a candy store where I found a giant box of nerds. o.O I added pictures and wha-laa. I have a blog post. Feel free to think of it as a tool for your voice.

I hope this helps answer your question!

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:01 am
sweethearts says...

hi guys, i was wondering if someone could help me out...if you reply to someones short story, is that reviewing? because i reviewed to posts and my coins have stayed the same. i am stuck on 50 coins. please help me.
from, sweet<3 :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Hi sweetheart!

No, a reply doesn't always count as a review. On YWS we differentiate between comments and reviews, where a comment is a short response that just says a few things like 'I love this' or 'I think you did a good job with the characters but the dialogue sucked'. Those don't earn you points.

For your reply to count as a review, it has to be a longer response. You should aim to tell the author what you liked about their piece and why. And then what you didn't like about their piece and how they can improve it. A review should be at least two or three paragraphs in length.

Also, don't forget to use capitals! This is a writing site and we like to see good grammar in our forums :D

Hope this helps, pm me if you have any other queries,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:22 am
sweethearts says...

hey guys, i was wondering if YWS is only for a particular country or is it global? sorry, just curious!
from, sweet<3 :)

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451