z

Young Writers Society

Ask a question here (or start a new topic!)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:16 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Make sure you have cookies enabled in your browser.

Otherwise, the log-in details won't be saved.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I have another question,
how can I change the color of my username?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:51 pm
Emerson says...

You can't

Usernames are changed when you have certain...Roles?

Like I'm an instructor, so my user name is purple.

Jack's red (Thats Firestarter) because he's an Admin.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:29 pm
Firestarter says...

To elaborate on what Clau has said:

Username colours are for different roles/ranks.

Red = Administrator
Dark Green = Moderator
Light Green = Junior Moderator
Purple = Instructor
Orange = Mentor
Blue = Greeter

The bottom three are the only ones you can apply for (the top three you would be approached for if required). However, the Mentor group is being phased out in preference for Junior Moderators. Here is a description of the roles you can apply for:

User Ranks: No more VIP's. It was a silly rank that really meant very little other than a prestige sort of thing. Instead, there are three new ranks in its place: Greeters, Instructors, and Mentors. These three ranks each come with responsibilities of their own and you must apply for each. An explanation follows, and there is a more detailed explanation under "User Ranks" in the Information Desk forum:

- Greeter: These are people who greet new users to YWS and are the new user's first contact. They are expected to be very active in the Welcome forum and to be able to answer whatever questions a new user may have.

- Instructor: An instructor is someone who routinely publishes new articles on writing in the Writing Tips forum, or actually runs an online class here at YWS.

- Mentor: Mentor is just one step below moderator and, like moderators, is a representative of YWS. Mentors are expected to answer any questions from any user, to help maintain civil discussions, and to generally provide backup for moderators. In short, a mentor is a moderator, but without the mod powers of locking topics, editing any post, etc.

However, generally you should have been a member for a couple of months and posted at least around 100 times before applying to these roles. As you have only been here a week or so, leave that for a later date. If you can show yourself to be a helpful, friendly member of the community, though, these roles might be accessible in the future.

Hope that answers your question :)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:32 pm
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Oh okay I get it, thanks. :wink:

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:02 pm
Shine says...

Now there has been a little change in color though.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:33 am
View Likes
Seriena says...

How do post things in the lounge?
"There will come a moment when you have a chance to do the right thing."

"I love those moments, I like to wave at them as they pass by..."

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:35 am
Siam says...

How do you spend points?
"It is better to hope than to despair; To love than to hate;
To question than accept; To be strong than weak;
To do something rather than nothing; To live than to die;
To be free than be bound"
Yours truly, Siam

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 am
Meshugenah says...

All you have to do to post in the lounge is post! Same as the literary forums: reply or start a new thread. To answer Siam's question as well, you spend points in the Lounge areas, specifically the lounge forum and the randomness forum.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:53 pm
magiclukehutch says...

Is this site USA style? Is it USA Software?
Always happy to help!

488 Reviews

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:06 am
Meshugenah says...

What do you mean, exactly? Nate, the head Admin is American (then again, so are Bobo and I), but the site's open to anyone. I know American, Britain, Australia and New Zeleand are well-represented here. if that'w what you mean.

If spelling/grammar (if different) conventions, we go with everyone's native country.

That what you mean, or is there anything else I can answer for you?

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:37 am
Royboy says...

how do you turn htmls on in your signiture?

or how do you use html on this site all together? I'm a bit confused because I normally use < and > instead of the other brackets: [ and ]
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:48 am
Emerson says...

You can't use HTML on the site, which is < > you use the brackets. I forget exactly what its called though.

Like your link in your signature, would be written as such: [url=*url goes here*]Tenna Street[/url]

I'll try and find a link with how to code....

EDIT:

It's called BBcodes, and I found this site here that will hopefully help you figure out how to work it.

Available BBCodes You Can Use

Here is a longer, though less explained, list: Basic BB Codes

Hope that helped, g'luck.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:51 pm
blonde&confused says...

im wondering how we can copyright some of our stuff so that no one steals it?
H. Edwards

488 Reviews

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:13 pm
Meshugenah says...

Here's the board policy on copyright:
Any piece that a member posts on this board remains in total whole their work. No member relinquishes the copyright or any rights derived therefrom in posting their work on the forums of The Young Writers Society. YWS will not reproduce their work without the author's explicit permission to do so. If you are still concerned about copyright, please e-mail webmaster@youngwriterssociety.com or pm Nate.

Does that answer your question?

I <3 Rydia

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help