z

Young Writers Society

Publication Question

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:55 am
gabbicalabrese says...

I'm really afraid to post stories on here because I'm afraid of losing first publishing rights. I'd really like feedback, but I don't want publishers to deny my work because I posted it on this website. Is that something I should be worried about?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:03 am
birk says...

No, it is not something you should worry much about.

Once you have received the appropriate feedback you're looking for, you can simply choose to unpublish your work again, and it will only be visible to your eyes on the site. You can do this in the 'edit works' section once you have published it.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:05 am
Aley says...

Any time you provide access to your work on the internet it is considered published before, but one of the ways that I've found around this is to take it down when you want to publish it, and update it before you send it in.

You reserve all rights to your work always on YWS so you won't lose anything by publishing aside from the fact that it is now a "published work" according to some presses. What you can do is you can publish it, get the reviews, make it a draft so it's hidden, or "unpublish" it and then make significant updates and changes to the work to submit it as a non-published work.

Does that help answer your question?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:49 am
Iggy says...

You can take a look at our copyright policy as well. :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss