z

Young Writers Society

Likes?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm
Storygirl95 says...

So, just curious, what's an average number of likes? Because once I got one like and then another time I got 13(joyous day. :D) So now I don't know haha.
Something in the middle? Three? Four? Nine hundred?
Is this like the owl and the tootsie pop?
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:58 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

I'd say that four or five likes is about average for poetry and short stories. The average is understandably lower for novel chapters. Shorter, well-written works usually garner more likes.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Chaser's kind-of right. But ultimately the Like system is similar to the one on Facebook. Generally it's an arbitrary thing that increases as your friend base does, but that's not ALWAYS the case!

The intended purpose of likes is to reflect the quality of the work and how it spoke to and appealed to the readers. There's no real quantifiable average (though there really is one somewhere in the massive amounts of data we collect), but you can look at the Top 100 to see what extreme likes look like!

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! I'm more than happy to answer. :]
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:28 am
Kale says...

In addition to what Lumi mentioned, works that get featured tend to accumulate a lot more likes simply because enough people liked them that other people want to check them out.

Featured Works have to get a certain number of likes-per-hour to remain featured, so it can change a lot in a single day.

I'm also moving this to the Questions and Answers forum, which is the place for site-related questions. Writers Corner is the place to talk about/advertise your writing projects. And if you have any questions about writing specifically, the Writing Tips forum is the place to.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Moo.
— Cow