z

Young Writers Society

Genre addition

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm
Octaclepassing says...

I was wondering since I was going to publish a short of mine, but the genres here posted on the site weren't exactly describing that I had in mine. The closet I can think of is a narrative, but that's too generic. I was wondering how a genre could be added here in Young Writers Society. The genre for my short is experimental. So if any person here could tell me how that could be a section of it's own that'll be great.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon May 11, 2015 5:52 pm
Iggy says...

Hey!

I'm gonna move this to Questions and Answers for you :)

You could always post a topic in The Lounge and see how many people would agree with you with wanting an "Experimental" genre, but to me, it seems like something that A) would fall under Sci-Fi, or whatever sort of genre the world is set in, and B) wouldn't be used very often. But then again, you never know!

So if you get enough people wanting this genre, and you politely PM Nate, he might add it for you. :)

Does that help?
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon May 11, 2015 7:56 pm
Octaclepassing says...

Thanks for the help, I'll check The Lounge. I have other stories to submit that are under some genres so I'll being doing that first. If you want to know that my story has involved with Kafkaesque elements, not at all sci-fi and it's also minimal in descriptions so the world isn't really that much filled in. If you heard of Modernism then perhaps it's somewhere along there. Also who is Nate, he is in charge of this?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon May 11, 2015 8:14 pm
crossroads says...

Nate is the founder and the owner of YWS. I doubt he'd add the new genre, though - thing is, there's many genres out there and many stories mix a bunch of them, and listing them all would be both cluttering and nearly impossible. That said, if you do find more people who agree with you, and call it something like experimental/alternative, I'm sure Nate will hear your arguments and won't just say no without thinking about it.

There's "other" option, and "literature" option - they feel general enough to not be wrong, at least, which isn't as good as being completely correct, but it's an option. You can also note its real genre in the description - people will see it on the homepage and when browsing Lit works, so they're bound to notice.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 pm
niteowl says...

Hi there and welcome to YWS!

Honestly, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what genre something is under when looking for something to read, and I don't think I'm alone in this attitude. If I were you, I would pick a broader genre choice (e.g. "General", "Narrative", maybe "Literature" since this is more literary), and then put a more detailed genre description in the description and/or an author's note.

Yes, Nate is the founder/admin of the site, and he could add genres, but I think he would want to see substantial demand first.

EDIT: Aria beat me to it.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon May 11, 2015 9:56 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

niteowl wrote:Honestly, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what genre something is under when looking for something to read, and I don't think I'm alone in this attitude

I have this same attitude as well. (@niteowl) I usually don't look at the genre really that much, I just read the story and judge it from there.

Honestly, I'm also sometimes too lazy and I just check general and literature for the things that I publish,and it works.

You can have a story that isn't one specific genre(that's why there is an option for two on YWS) but that is just up to the content of your story.Every story is different and unique,just like every snowflake is different. You just have to evaluate your story and put it into one category.

Genre-a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

That is the definition of a genre that I found on Google.
As the others said, I don't think that Nate will add another genre here,just because we have 28 genres of short stories currently on, and that's enough of a number of itself.

I hope that this post helps you answer your question.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

My tongue must tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart, concealing it, will break...
— Katherine, The Taming of the Shrew