z

Young Writers Society

I Just Joined YWS

Reviews: 4
Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:21 pm
Birdy says...

Ok.
I just joined the YWS and am super hyped about being here! It's the feeling one gets when they open their Christmas present and see the one thing they've been begging for all year. Hopefully I'll be able to spend a fair amount of time on here, as I don't have much else to do. My goal is to review and be reviewed, gaining experience as a writer and an editor for later years in life.
Now, my question isn't a question as much as it's a topic; yet it's a question nonetheless. Are there any "hidden" features you wish you had known about when you first signed up? Or even anything you'd like to share, anything at all. Any bits of knowledge would work for a newbie like me.
Thanks! ^~^
"Just because I am alone, does not mean I am lonely. I am not you."
- Tsugumi Ohba

"Being alone is better than being with the wrong person."
- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 pm
Mea says...

Welcome to YWS!

If you look down at the bottom of the site, there's all sorts of nifty resources that you won't find out about if you don't look. The name generator is particularly helpful.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:45 pm
crossroads says...

Welcome aboard! I love the enthusiasm. This place is surely the right place for you, I dare to say - we have some great writers, great critics and great critiques, and you sound like you'll fit right in.

What kind of stuff do you like writing? What kind of stuff do you like reviewing?

If you have any questions or concerns, feel more than free to message me (or any other mod - person with green or red username), I'll be glad to assist you.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:34 pm
Birdy says...

AriaAdams wrote:Welcome aboard! I love the enthusiasm. This place is surely the right place for you, I dare to say - we have some great writers, great critics and great critiques, and you sound like you'll fit right in.

What kind of stuff do you like writing? What kind of stuff do you like reviewing?

If you have any questions or concerns, feel more than free to message me (or any other mod - person with green or red username), I'll be glad to assist you.

I hope this is how you reply. It's taken me a good 10 minutes to find a button similar to anything I've seen before...

To me, it doesn't really matter what I write as long as I feel somewhat connected to it. Fiction is my go-to genre in most cases, and I often get my inspiration from seemingly meaningless things. It just pops up out of nowhere and I decide, "hey! Why not write this down and use it someday?"

I also don't care too much about who or what I'm reviewing. I enjoy reviewing poetry, but I'm no poet so I often just leave some spelling and grammar tips.

Thanks for replying to my post!
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 pm
Birdy says...

Meandbooks wrote:Welcome to YWS!

If you look down at the bottom of the site, there's all sorts of nifty resources that you won't find out about if you don't look. The name generator is particularly helpful.

Thank you! I would have never noticed that area for a good while.
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

1085 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 pm
Mea says...

How to reply without quoting: at the bottom of the thread, right below the last post, is a blue "Quick reply" button. You can use that for fairly short replies. Next to it is a full reply button, which you use for long answers with coding and stuff.

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm
crossroads says...

Post buttons! Right under your post, you should see the quote button (little quotes, you figured that one out), and the report button (the ! sign - it will ask you to note the reason for reporting first, but even if you send an accidental report, all that can happen is that you get a message from Big Brother* or one of the mods to check if it was accidental or not).

* Big Brother is a joint account used by Global Moderators and Administrators (dark green and red names) around here. If you ever need mod help and don't feel like messaging any specific person, you can always direct your messages to BB and one of us will get to it c:

You can tag people by using @ - like this @Birdy, and you can mention them like I did BB by using [user][/user] tags.

Another useful thing is that the forums have autosave feature, which means everything you type as quick reply will be automatically saved periodically, so in case your browser crashes or your tab reloads or something, you'll have at least most of your reply saved.

I can take you to a way longer tour around if you wish, but I'll stop here for now xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Hey there, and welcome to YWS! ^_^

One of the things that I wish I had known when I first joined, was about the "is this a review?" button when you're getting ready to submit a work. First of all, remember to press the "yes" button when you're submitting a review ( if it is in fact a review you're doing and not a comment ), and secondly, remember to press the "yes" button! XD When I was first starting out I thought that review boxes were set to automatically have your message as a review unless you said otherwise... because right after the "is this a review?" question, the button says "Yes", which to me, indicates that in fact, it already going to be listed as a review.

However I'm making this sound rather complicated... And always remember: If you forget to list your review as a review, or make a mistake with the button, you can always ask a mod to list it as a review for you, and of course they're really helpful. :-P
100% autistic

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:54 pm
Birdy says...

@meandbooks Ok, and how do I choose who I can reply to? Or do I have to tag you with the "@" sign?
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

1085 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:18 pm
Mea says...

Well, usually you just want to reply to the thread in general. If you're talking to someone in particular, then yes, you'd use the @ sign to get their attention. Unless they're the creator of the thread, then they get notifications if anyone replies to it, as I'm sure you've already seen.

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 pm
Birdy says...

@ariaadams thanks for the info! You don't have to take me for a tour, that's okay. I don't want to waste a bunch of your time. I appreciate the offer though.

So when writing a quick reply, do you have to quote someone? Or can you just use the "@" method like I did? Perhaps, does quick reply shorten the quote?
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 pm
View Likes
Birdy says...

@Holysocks I really appreciate it, thanks!
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:48 pm
Birdy says...

@meandbooks That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
- Tsugumi Ohba

- L (from Death Note)

Moimos. @.@

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:25 am
Pretzelstick says...

Hello and Welcome YWS and I hope that you enjoy your time and stay here. One tho that I would want to know is how to do quotes in review to get more organized. Here is how you code it.
[*quote]Put your text[/*quote]
So here is how it would look like:
Put your text here

Hope that this helps!Sit down,buckle up,and enjoy the ride
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:20 am
FireBird99 says...

Welcome aboard! You'll love it here =).
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

I'm not quiet. I'm just plotting.

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42