z

Young Writers Society

So I happen to be new...

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 pm
erinasher says...

I joined about 20 minutes ago (well, I set up my account about 20 minutes ago) and I need someone to tell me /everything/ about YWS.

Courtesy, how writing works, critiques, membership.

GO!

(thanks)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:07 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

HI! 8D

Welcome! It honestly takes a really long time to learn everything about YWS (people who've been here for years don't know everything!) but I can give you a quick rundown!

Submitting stuff!
Look at the black bar up top and see "publishing centre". Click that and follow the steps! If you ever mess up the second step, just click "edit" on your submitted piece, then hit "submit" on the text without making any changes, then click "set options for this work". That lets you redo it!

Points!
So you'll notice that when you submit stuff, it costs you points. YWS lets you have one free work, then you have to go out reviewing to earn points to post.

It's minimum 250 characters for a review. If you review something in the Green Room (works with under two reviews), you get more points than if you review something with 2 reviews already.

The maximum number of points you can get for a green room review is 150, with the max outside of the green room being 100. This takes 1,000 characters to achieve.

My biggest tip for how to get there is to say why you feel that way. That gives the author feedback for what they're doing right and wrong. More tips here!

Blogs, Clubs and Storybooks!

That article explains those three.

The people tab!
This is where the status updates of people you follow show up. To follow somebody, go to their profile and look at the far right for a "follow user" button. You should already be following Big Brother!

Following them also gets you their new works posted, blog updates, and threads they like.

Chat!
There might/probably is a post cap on this. I think it's five posts. So once you've posted five times, you can enter the chat room! Once inside you can talk to lovely YWSers in there and be horribly confused at five conversations going on at once! Just pounce on whatever topic you want and go from there.

I swear I'm not normally this excited! Honestly, lol Old habit to greet people with as many exclamation points as possible. There's a little more to YWS, but that's the basic gist of it. :) Courtesy things include giving reviews back, helping out around the site, and avoiding chatspeak because not everybody understands it!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria