z

Young Writers Society

Is there a length limit/recommendation for a chapter?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 am
View Likes
DottieSnark says...

I recently uploaded my first chapter on the site, but it's kind of long. It's just over 7k words. This got me wondering if there was a limit or even recommendation for chapter length. I've seen a few times people posting their chapters in chucks. Is that what supposed to do if the chapter is exceptionally long? My chapter has six scenes, so that would be a lot of posts.

386 Reviews

Reviews: 386
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 am
Dossereana says...

Hey there @DottieSnark, I don't think that there is a limit at all, I went to check your chapter out, I did not read it, but I did see how long it was, it was not that long though. If you doubled that sighs then you mite have wanted to split it for its just long for another person to follow and read it, but really you can have it as long as you really like.

@Dossereana I hope this helped you a little
Have a great Day/Night DottieSnark :D
Oh you just have to wait, and peace will come to you!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 am
Mageheart says...

Hello!

There's no official word limit, but chapters are usually broken up into chunks for the reader's convenience. It's harder to read a lot of text on a screen compared to an actual book you can hold in your hands, and it also doesn't overwhelm the reader.

Some of the longest chapters I've read have been around 3,000 words, so a good way to break up your chapter might be going with a chunk around 3,000 and two around 2,000. You can also try breaking up the chapters based on the scene length and number of scenes - since you have six, doing two scenes per chapter part might make it easier for readers to read and review your work.

I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson