z

Young Writers Society

Zolens attempts to learn art so he can make his own covers

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:42 pm
Zolen says...

@Kyllorac Actually with a pencil I for the most part have mastered the art of smooth lines, however I have yet to figure it out when drawing with a mouse, which is what all of these things are drawn with. I don't know how I can feasibly draw smooth lines or control their weight with a mouse.
Last edited by Zolen on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm
Nelly101 says...

You should try the website- Dragoart my username is the same on that so if you would like to see my artwork go on there :3
Nelly aka. Neko

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:55 pm
Rook says...

What program are you using to draw these?
I also do my drawings with a mouse or a trackpad (which I find even harder to use than a mouse, but I'm drawing with a laptop while lying down... I ain't gonna use a mouse!) And with photoshop and some time I find I can vary the weights of my lines by just making them look different. Of course, I actually don't use outlines that much so what do I know?
I would understand though if you're using paint or some other inferior drawing program that it take WAY too long to try to make anything look really wonderful.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:21 am
View Likes
Kale says...

@Zolen

There are a few ways to get smooth lines with a mouse. The simplest is to zoom in and slowly freehand. The easiest is to use the bezier tool to draw curves, but slowly freehanding gets better results.

To get different line weights, basically you can make a really thick line and erase, or you can layer thin lines close together. I prefer the the erasing method, though others prefer the layering method.

Actually, the method I use can best be described as scribble-scribble-erase. I'll scribble a bunch of lines so that the lineart is dark, and then I'll erase the mess in a smooth sweep with the eraser. It's really time-consuming and a PAIN with a mouse, but I always get really smooth lineart with it.

I made these years ago with a mouse using the scribble-scribble-erase method, so you can see the results for yourself: Toned Dragon and Black Phoenix
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

110 Reviews

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:28 pm
Zolen says...

@Kyllorac Wow that's one of the most annoying ways to color that was ever invented, I am amazed you were willing to do it.

Hmmmmm, that is a tad long process of line art, and my goal is to create something both high quality and can be done quickly, because one of my goals beyond cover art, is to try my hand at web comics, I need something nice as well as quick. With that method it would take me a day just for the line art.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 pm
Kale says...

@Zolen

Then the bezier tool will be your best friend. However, lineart takes a long time to do with a mouse whichever way you do it. If you really want to go into webcomicing, I'd recommend investing in a graphics tablet. Wacom makes a good entry-level tablet called the Bamboo for about $80. It has all the features you need like pressure sensitivity and a pen stylus, so it's great for someone just starting out with digital art.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

110 Reviews

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 pm
Zolen says...

@Nelly101 joining 50 websites won't help me improve any in art, writing seems to be best to have a lot of people reading to help improve, art on the other hand seems to improve best (at least for me) under the supervision of those better then me, rather then random thoughts, a skilled opinion seems to fit better.

@Kyllorac there are some very sexy graphics tablets (I am a tech nerd) that I have wanted to buy, but collage so far has made me too too poor to buy any. Also, I worry that since I am so used to coloring/drawing at this point with a mouse, I might have to relearn quite a bit to match the quality I have now.

Hm, however I found one as low as 60 though googling....
Last edited by Zolen on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:13 pm
deleted5 says...

Zolen I know what you mean by "sexy" technology :P
Alienware laptop!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

110 Reviews

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 pm
Zolen says...

Alienware is pretty awesome, however I find the sexiest computers are ones people built themselves. (Built myself a gaming rig)

110 Reviews

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:29 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

My first attempt at making a personal symbol for my drawings:

You might be asking yourself "what is that ugly mess" the answer is that is what happens when you take a perfectly smooth icon and try to turn it into a brush in gimp. I am going to see about vectoring a remake of it in Inkscape I guess.
Attachments
failed icon.png

110 Reviews

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:38 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Well I am working on a post card, yay for pictures
Attachments
surprise.png

110 Reviews

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:45 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

110 Reviews

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

I secret santaed someone planning to draw, sadly ending up on one of the few people I know for sure I am not as skilled as in the slightest.

So I looked and saw she did a lot of poetic artwork, and liked lizards.

Twas prepared with the option to have a albino dino, or color it yourself.

110 Reviews

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Ultra Old stuff that I made or took a long time ago

110 Reviews

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:19 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

random fun fact, at one point I was going to make a texture pack for minecraft, and then my hard drive died and I lost all of the work when I was almost done. So I never bothered again.

Only thing left are prototype images

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher