z

Young Writers Society

Designing Book Covers

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:43 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hi all :) I've been playing around with Photoshop lately, and I enjoy a challenge. If you want a cover for your book, feel free to ask. However, you must fulfil these conditions:

Pre-requisites:
> 10 Reviews under your belt (this tells me you're dedicated to YWS!)
> 10 Chapters of your story

Request template:
> Name of Book:
> Part of series?:
> Author:
> Blurb text:
> Other text (quotes, grabs):
> Description of what you want visually (dragon theme, red colour scheme etc):

Example template filled out:
> Name of Book: Forgotten Realms
> Part of series?: Book 2 of 3
> Author: Jadyn Thone
> Blurb text: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
> Other text: "Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur."
> Description of what you want visually: The main character is an old woman with a crooked back, I want her to look like she's fading into the background. The colour scheme should be dark green and witch-like.

Examples of my work:
Spoiler! :
Last edited by seeminglymeaningless on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 pm
Messenger says...

Hi, I may ask you for a cover sometime soon. I have lots of reviews, and several chapters of different books up. Do you make the cover entirely from scratch, or if i had a character on the front would you want me to send you a picture of the person, or could you add it yourself?

377 Reviews

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:58 pm

I get all my stock from Deviantart from appropriate stock resources. For example, in the Black Dragon book cover, I started with the stock of a male and then added the stripes, robe and changed his hair colour before completing everything else.

However, if there are particular images or stock you wish me to use, simply attach them to your reply and I'll see if I can incorporate them :) Hope to hear from you soon! ^^

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 am
Messenger says...

Well I haven't been able to find any pictures I like, but my book is ninja/Japanese themed, as well as European medieval themed. I would like to have a cover with two ninjas, both in white, one with gold sword straps and belt, and the other green. They would be fighting on a frozen pond. Like have the two men fighting in the middle, maybe swords clashing, and then sort of fade it out to black. An the title is Sons of Courage, Book 1.
If you could get it to be like this:

Sons of Courage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book 1

The titles would be whit. I'll let you know when I think of what to put on the back. Thanks!

377 Reviews

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:55 am

I'm eager to do this for you, but I need you to follow the template request format and fill out every field so I can work on it fully :)

Request template:
> Name of Book:
> Part of series?:
> Author:
> Blurb text:

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:56 am
Messenger says...

Alright. what is blurb text?

377 Reviews

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:01 am

blurb
/blərb/
Noun
A short description of a book, movie, or other product written for promotional purposes and appearing on the cover of a book.

So when you pick up a book and turn it over to read the back of the book, that text is the "blurb".

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 am
Messenger says...

Request template:
> Name of Book: sons of Courage
> Part of series?:Book 1
> Author:Malachi Lining
> Blurb text:The empire of Fangi rests in the balance as two ninjas duel for the future of it. When all looks safe and sound an unexpected turn of events sends the Saroo, wife of Kanufu, a warrior, running with a three-year old and a baby ready to come. Along the way she meets Tina, the daughter of the evil clan leader Omito, and the two escape to the safety
Will Fangi prosper, or perish?
I would like to have a cover with two ninjas, both in white, one with gold sword straps and belt, and the other green. They would be fighting on a frozen pond. Like have the two men fighting in the middle, maybe swords clashing, and then sort of fade it out to black.

Is that all?

377 Reviews

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 am
View Likes

How is this? :) I wasn't too sure about the back cover. I couldn't find any "white" ninjas. If you're not completely happy, tell me what you'd like changed. As per usual, right click and open in new tab to see it full size.

Spoiler! :

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

I personally like it.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

377 Reviews

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 am

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:46 pm
Messenger says...

Wow! That is awesome! Thanks a lot. I will have more later on as each book is written (there all about 5000 words) and let you now the details.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:08 pm
Cole says...

I have a book written (96,316 words) but I do not plan on sharing any chapters for safety reasons. Does that prohibit me from requesting a book cover? (I would enjoy seeing your interpretation.)

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:55 pm
Messenger says...

Hey, I realized when looking at it that on the back there is in the blurb text a "the" as the second-to-last word. That needs to be hopped out. My bad though:
) Also I like the back a lot. Thanks again, and I will be posting in a comment below the next cover. Great job!!

662 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 pm
Messenger says...

> Name of Book:Sons of Courage
> Part of series?: Book 2
> Author:Malachi Lining
> Blurb text: The king of Vindale was murder fourteen years ago, his son was drowned, and the kingdom is chaos. Three knights fight for the rule. In a monastery lives John, a boy who feels useless there, and dreams of having adventures. Finally, after being bullied yet again, he decides it's time to go. With the help of a monk he prepares to journey to a land far away where he has read of exciting adventures: Fangi. Little does he know what he is getting himself into.
> Other text (quotes, grabs):A king murdered; a boy hungry for adventure.
> Description of what you want visually (dragon theme, red colour scheme etc):I would like the cover to have the picture of a building burning in the background, the face of a boy with brown hair, preferably about 14 years old, and then the picture of a monastery somewhere. I would the background to be somewhat like the first, but this time dark blues and black mixing together.

Thanks again!!!!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx