z

Young Writers Society

Violin Cover: Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:02 pm
Carina says...

Click here to listen! (YWS doesn't support media files, so you'll have to download it.)

art (noun) : the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination

Although this seems out of place in the Art & Photography forum, music is an art by definition. :]

Anyways, I attached a violin/viola cover of me playing Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. The only mic I had was my laptop, so originally the quality was HORRIBLE. But then I used my program's effects (and by that I really meant I abused it) so it wouldn't sound as bad, though it's still not that top-notch. So excuse me if you hear a scratch or two. :9

Reviews/comments are welcome.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hey there! I love Imagine Dragons and violins so I couldn't resist reviewing this ^_^ I've only played a violin once, but I've been in an orchestra for four years and have played 8 years on the french horn so I know a bit about music.

I really love the sound of the violin with this song, it's a really great pairing! I was a bit confused in the first 30 seconds of the recording, the effects sound a bit odd and I almost didn't recognize the song. Then when you start playing I can tell the melody.

Did you record both parts on your own, the melody and then countermelody? I mean, record them at different times and then overlap them? The timing was a tad off at times so I was wondering, it might work better with a partner.

Overall you have a really great sound, the biggest critique I have is that you could use more dynamics, also the countermelody should be quieter so we can hear the melody line clearer. The countermelody is more rhythmic like a hearbeat so it should just kind of hang in the background while the melody comes through. In this recording, it felt like both parts had the same volume.

To make your version a bit more interesting, I would play around with the dynamics, make the first verse quieter and maybe build to the end. Put some crescendos/decrescendos into the phrasing to help it flow.

I'm nitpicking, I know xD You really sound great and I love the idea of this cover :) Keep playing!!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein