z

Young Writers Society

More model sketches- Please Review!! :)

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 pm
morgansboss says...

These are all practice sketches I did during my free time... I used reference pictures for all of these, which I found in the 'J. Crew' June 2011 store catalog. Every picture below was done using only a 2 HB pencil and my fingers for blending/shading. Please review! :)

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:02 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

Okay, Twink here to review! =) I will try to be useful here, even though that's hard since these are very good. I can still try to come up with a few good tips for your drawings. I might've been able to help you out more if I could look at the reference photos but anyway, here I go!

1. I love the eyes here the most. They're very pretty. you've done the hair pretty well too. the proportions are just fine. Nothing wrong with anything. You could just add a little bit more shading under the chin. And remove those lines. Try to do the shades with out the lines so it looks more realistic. Especially the lips. What I do with the lips is bend the pencil so that it's making an acute angle with the page and then shade light and dark areas accordingly, it works great that way.

2. Very awesome! I love the hair, the clothes. that scarf thingy around his neck. Your detailing on the scarf is amazing! Even though I don't know what the reference photo really looked like, I can tell you nailed it on the correct pose. What you can do here is shading one side of the folds so that it ooks more real, and 3D, you know what i mean. You did that on the shirt pretty well, Just need a little bit on the arms. Everything else is perfect. :) And I may be wrong about the folds because, again, dunno know what the real thing was like.

3. I'm in love with the hair, it's so real here. And it's dark so you could easily show the proper shades. The pose looks great! That shape of the arms, and the shades are at the right spot. Her shirt is somewhat baggy. You've succeeded in giving it that look. No complaints here. :)

4. Okay, wow! The first thing I noticed was that pattern on her shirt. It looks very detailed and pretty. It definitely looks real! Those folds have been well shaded by you. they look 3d here. I love the hat. The fingers are so tiny yet you did it. Usually people are unable to do hands propperly but I think you nailed it again! :D :D

Remember to keep posting more awesome stuff. I'm always glad to see it. =)
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 am
Chiridawn says...

I'm not sure if this is a stylistic thing, or you're attempting realism, if it's stylistic ignore me, but if it's realism, try not to use solid outlines and focus on shading to create more natural slopes in the skin (kinda like there are no sharp lines on the human body). And also if it's stylistic, you can ignore 80% of my comments below :D :D

1. The shading on the neck is really lovely. Try to tone the lips instead of marking them sharply, if you look at yourself, there is no line separating the lips from the face, only a difference in colour, and hence tone. And for the hair... you don't need to define every strand, by applying shading to the hair then worrying about each individual strand later, you can get a better sense of the shape and flow, instead of a block of lines.

2. I really, really love this one. The pose, and how her head is inclining towards her hands - and the contrast between the complex upper half and the plain white trousers. Just some issues with her right arm being too skinny.

3. The pose here is lovely as well... you did a good job for a tricky pose. I like the shading on the hair, but once again, the lips should be more toned in rather than lined. Also, watch the perspective. When people are looking up, you see more of their chin, upper lip, base of nose and their eyes curve upwards.

4. I love the hat, how it sits on her head, and the shading on the dress is very consistent with the entire image. Her hands are lovely - very delicate. Just need to watch the chin, her chin is very thin for someone who is looking up.

I like your style. :D

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Morgan! this is a bit of a late review, hopefully it can still help ^_^

you've really improved since last time, and that's awesome!

I really like the face in the first pic, everything is drawn really well and the picture is really clear. If I could suggest a few things I'd say the hair could be defined more, it looks a bit like it's still in the sketch stage and I would define the locks more. Also, keep experimenting with skin shading, you could probably go a bit darker around the browbone and chin.

second pic is my favorite, I really love the pose and hair and jacket around the neck. The hands are super well drawn, overall I think this is a wonderful pencil drawing and I don't think I would really change anything!

Third pic is also really cool, the only thing that bugs me is the teeth in the mouth, they look ginormous xP Personally I think I would go with a closed lip instead. The rest of the drawing is really impressive, I love the jewelry ^_^

Last pic, another pretty outfit ^_^ You so a really really good job on the outfits, it feels like you take them from a cool fashion magazine (reminds me of when I bought TeenVogue and Seventeen haha). The thing I'd fix here would be the nose, it looks almost too straight and long, I'd soften it a bit or work the shading more. something just seems off, but I'm not too sure without a reference xP

Keep drawing!!!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla