z

Young Writers Society

Hobbit - character sketches

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 pm
View Likes
TheSunChildren says...

Here are five sketches i recently did to celebrate the coming of 'The Hobbit' Four of them are my own versions of limited edition posters released on the opening night, and another is purely from a previously released photo.

First was Bilbo Baggins. He took between 40-50 mins to complete and immediately i found him to be the best portrait i had perhaps ever done. I enjoyed drawing him so much in fact that i went onto my second drawing.

Gandalf. This took 40 mins also, but was quicker than Bilbo. I felt that this was stronger than the first in terms of quality, especially with Glamdring (the sword) but also the shading around the brow.

Thorin Oakenshield came next. This was also the first time i recorded myself drawing. (yes there is a video of it sped up) it took 2 attempts to complete him, this being the second go. Orcrist (the sword) certainly came out better than i had hoped, as did the hand. This took around 1 hour 30 mins to do.

Gollum was more challenging. His toning was in much higher contrast to the others, and unlike the others i had to add shading around his head to amplify the strands of hair. Nonetheless it was the hand that was most challenging.

Lastly, Thranduil. Although he only appears in the first film for a matter of seconds i still felt him an important and interesting character. This was the only one of the five not on a film poster, but was actually based off a photo i had to greyscale to get the shading right. I was honestly surprised by how he came out (particularly the hair and crown) and to be honest he was my favourite. He took exactly one hour to the minute to drawn.

There are three videos of me drawing the last three characters (so 3 videos) but anyway - enjoy! Is it obvious who's going to watch this on the 13th December?

BILBO.jpg
GANDALF.jpg
THORIN.jpg
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

9 Reviews

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 pm
View Likes
TheSunChildren says...

And the last two!
GOLLUM.jpg
THRANDUIL.jpg
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 pm
Messenger says...

Those are beautiful!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 am
thebatman says...

Dude those are amazing!
"Some day you will be old enough to believe in fairy tales again" -C.S. Lewis

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm
Holysocks says...

@TheSunChildren that's pretty awesome!

How did you like the second one?
100% autistic

9 Reviews

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:48 am
TheSunChildren says...

Hello! :D personally i love the second movie, much better than the first. Has a much darker and exhilarating feel to it which i love. And who could forget Smaug?! Just dont ask me to draw him ;) I cant say i'll do any more drawings, university and writing takes up all my time now, but luckily i have to watch a load of films, so hobbit ahoy! :D

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 am
Holysocks says...

That's cool, I like the second one a lot better than the first one too! I just saw it this Sunday, so naturally I'm in the stage were I want to see more of the darn thing! :P Which is probably why I'm talking to you about it. :D
100% autistic

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:20 am
eldEr says...

Aaaaaaah! Bilbo and Gandalf and Smeagol are all definitely my favourites. (That's like three out of five I know but whatever)
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 am
Ningy says...

Oh my Gosh....*is wishing she could draw like that* I love them! Those are flipping epic.

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners