z

Young Writers Society

Pencil Drawing - face in half profile

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:29 pm
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

So I drew this a few weeks ago but I've been so busy that I haven't had time to upload it until today. Anyways, I took my time on this one so if you find any mistakes please point them out to me so I can improve!

I actually modeled this person off of a video game character, but the end result looks nothing alike x)

The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 pm
View Likes
Daisuki says...

Oh my goodness, I feel awful :( I haven't reviewed anything in a really long time. I think the new layout of YWS really freaks me out, and there's no notification, so I dunno... Just a obsessive thing I guess.

So! Your drawing! The first thing that really stood out to me was that your shading has improved to the point that it is...is... I can't find a good word. Amazing? Stupendous? Absolutely stunning? Anyways, the shading is really good. And the hair, as always.

The shape of the nose is beautiful, but I think that the line, especially at the very top where it's near the eyes, is too hard. It gives it more of a 2D look. Maybe if you smudged and kind of softened the shadow at the very top where the connects near the eyes, and at the very bottom where the nostril is on the other side, then it might let the face kind of continue unstead of being cut in half by the heavy shadow. I'm not sure if I'm expression myself properly...

The above the lip where it connects to the nose could use some softening, I guess. And maybe it shouldn't be so long? I don't know. The lips seem full, but they're very smooshed, too. Maybe they could be a tiny bit wider next time? But then again, that could be a style thing, too.

Where's her left shoulder? Even if it's just not in the drawing, it might be nice to have it there, so it doesn't look like it's behind her and then the angle of how she's twisting is too extreme.

Sorry if I'm rambling and making no sense, but really this is so amazing. The shading is ultra smooth and the lines are perfect and the shape of the head is very natural. And the hair, as always, is the best :) Gasp! And the eyes! How could I forget them? I like the style you're using for the eyes and they way you shade them. They look shiny :D

First review in a while, soory.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:00 pm
View Likes
murtuza says...

The eyes. The hair. The shading. Lykohmygosh. So much love for this drawing. ^.^

*is sorry this isn't a proper review*
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 am
View Likes
laylaflame says...

ITS LIGHTNING! (i could tell by the hair..)
This is really good:D Though there is something about the face, I think it may be that the nose is a tiny bit too short and the mouth should be moved down too (ONLY A TINY BIT!) or maybe its just the shading on the chin making the angle look a bit different to the rest of the face. Yeah.. I think it might be that second point.. Besides that, no, even including that:p I think you've done a great job. WellDone:)
ps. if I was comparing it to the Lightning picture, I would say the chin is too sharp, mainly its just the jaw line doing that to it.. BUT, Im not comparing it so happy days:)
“Love is the answer
At least, for most of the questions in my heart, like
Why are we here and where do we go
And how come it's so hard”
― Jack Johnson

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 am
View Likes
Pilot says...

Wow, that's really good.

And by really, I mean extremely.
I don't always write on forums, but when I do, I prefer YWS.

Sharpen your pencil, my friends.

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe