z

Young Writers Society

Practice in Profile

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

I was practicing blending again, and I tried a profile view. I don't think I'm that good at profile, but I tried anyway, and it came out better than I thought it would, which is good. It took me way longer to draw it than I expected though because I just wasn't getting it right. Took me about 1 hour to color it :3

You may have to just right click it and select "view image" because it's kind of huge ^_^"

If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm
Durriedog says...

Hey! If you think you're bad at drawing profile, well, you're not. This is actually really good! I've seen prize art students in Year 12 still unable to draw profile as well as this. Well done!

Your colours are very well-done, nice contrast. Your eye stands out very nicely too.

Anatomy-wise, you'll notice a person in that pose's chest would slope down less steeply. His chest shouldn't just drop off, it should come out again slightly. There are muscles and ribcages there. Men have breasts too. I don't think I need to tell you about the hands, the terrible arch-enemies of an artist's self-esteem (Irony? Since we get our esteem from drawing... with our hands... heh). All I can say is practice. Practice makes everything awesome!

If you ever want to try a different style or method of shading, drawing or hair, there are good tutorials released almost daily on DeviantArt. Just go to the Resources tab on the side and then down to tutorials. Just because it's interesting :D

Love, Durrs
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

hey
for some reason the hair reminds me of Zero of Vampire Knight but I might just be crazy.

Your coloring is really good on this picture. Are you still using Gimp? Or are you dabbling in SAI? Anyways, you are really on the right track with that. The only thing I would've done different is not make the outline of the eyes so dark. It's almost too bold and comes off as thick eyeliner (unless you wanted it that way).

I'm no expert on hands, so I'm just going to leave a few comments about the face. There's almost no chin on this dude x) Try to equal out your spacing between the nose, lips, and chin. The nose is a tad long and all the features get sort of smooshed towards the bottom.

This looks like it was a really hard pose to follow, so I think this is a really good effort ^_^
keep it up!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 am
View Likes
hudz96 says...

Wow, *Gasp*
And I agree with Sheepy there. Looks like Zero... I think its because of the way the hand is positioned :D By the way i love all your art ... sigh you and sheepy are both so GOOD!

There was just one thing its the head... its not proportioned properly... It looks like your handsome guy has a HUGE lump at the back of his head :D unless you want him to have been in a massive fight.. maybe you should try to reshape his head :)

Aaaannnddd i think thats all.... I cant say anything about the hands either... i spend HOURS trying to make the hands. Hope someone else can help more though.

Keep Drawing i love coming and seeing your art when im procrastinating. :P

Hudz
X
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm
Skittles says...

Alright, the first thing I noticed was the elongated neck. It's quite like a giraffe's but that is okay. Some people have big necks I suppose.... Well anyway, the shading was done very well and I like your rather sketchy style. I can see you're into anime as well with the over exaggerated eyes. That was done all very good. All I have to say is keep practicing, paying special attention to the neck and collar bone area. Keep drawing!
~ Skittles
When life hands you lemons.....stuff them in your bra...
Dear Edward,
Piss off you poser
,Dracula

Do you bite your thumb at me Sir?!
My mama used to say life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what ur gunna get...

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 am
Omnihat says...

Hi there.
This is awesome, the colouring is fantastic, and I love the shirt, it looks like soft and light and actually like material, something a lot of people (including me) struggle with.
Just a few tidbits:
1) The neck, like Skittles, the first thing that I noticed was that it is fairly long. That on it's own isn't a problem though because people can have long necks. But it looks a little... slouchy. Like it has folds maybe. I think this is because the collar bone is a bit too high.
2) the eyes. The iris and pupil are beautiful. Dark and intense and well done. The only thing I'm going to say here is that the perception is a bit out. They're too long, making it look a little like they're on the side of his head.
3) The hand. Hands are hard, everyone knows that. Here's a few tips if you would like to try edit it a little.
a) The wrist. If you look at your wrist, you'll notice there is a bump for bone, and then the wrist curves in a little, then up to the knuckles. Take a look at your hand, you'll see what i mean.
b) The fingers. They're a little splayed and bending the wrong way.And the pinky is a little thin.
I would like to congratulate you on putting the thumb on the right side, many people get it wrong.
4) The shoulder. It looks a bit like the arm is coming from behind him.

Aside from those easy fixes, a very excellent drawing, Micki. Loved it :)
Keep drawing.

Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything's different?
— C.S. Lewis