z

Young Writers Society

A graveyard's colours

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 am
View Likes
emilybrodo says...

Went on an excursion to a graveyard for school. Reviews would be awesome!

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

The game

Free reviews here

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:55 am
tr3x says...

What sort of camera did you use? A DSLR?
While the polaroid or negative effect is eye catching, it ultimately makes for bad photography. When overused, the effect these filters produce is a kitschy one. In a graveyard you want to go for a more morose atmosphere, darker and with more tension around the edges of the images.
The first image has too little contrast between the cross/headstone and the background (except the sky) so all the small details that compose the image are lost. The tilt of the cross is nice, but you need to be able to see the detail of the flowers and vines on it.
The second image just looks bad - the colours clash horribly, the field of view is bad and you need to get a better angle.
The black and white image again has lost all of the detail required to make an image. It is harsh, with no middle tones, only dark and light.
Your composition would be improved if the angel was more to the center of the image, and this picture is overexposed as well.
The final image should has once again lost all the detail on the headstone. Also, the angle isn't interesting enough. You could try going low, but centering the headstone in the viewfinder so it appears to tower over the viewer.
Drop the effects, they never work.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm
tanya98 says...

I'm really sorry, but the effect of your photo isn't really that good. It isn't very attractive, in any way. The angles aren't new, it look's like something you've gotten from some Indian ghost flick (trust me, aren't scary). You should have tried to edit them on some site or something. When you go for a graveyard, it's suppose to be a dark,eerie, smokey look or feeling. But this isn't any of that, keep trying though. Someday you'll get what you want.

-tanya98

P.s. : can I ask why did your school take you to a graveyard for an excursion? :?: :smt017
It's not gravity that's tying you to the earth but that one person - Jacob Black

46 Reviews

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 pm
emilybrodo says...

We went to a graveyard for religion, kind of weird I know. My camera's just a cheap little thing, I didn't really put much thought when I took these photos. Call me crazy but I was looking out for ghosts ha ha. I was trying to put colours into these photos, my friends seem to like them but I guess since they are cheap then they must look it. I think perhaps I'll just keep to writing.
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein

The game

Free reviews here

Reviews: 1
Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 am
View Likes
narniej says...

emilybrodo: Don't let people's negative reactions put you off photography. To be fair, the previous posts weren't trying to be mean, they were meaning to be helpful and got carried away.

From a non-photographer perspective, I rather liked your images. I thought the negative effects and the absurd colors gave the graveyard a ghostly effect. I think the negatives on the second picture are a bit overdone, but I really liked the first one. It may make for bad photography, as the others claim, but it's eye-candy for someone like me. I just thought it was fitting, all the bright, eerie colors and the tombstones.

But my main point is: when people give you reviews that are less than what you are expecting, don't take it as a hint to back off. From personal experience I've had some critiques on this website that really turned me off and made me feel like I was wasting my time, but I encourage you to continue with your photography, and writing both. Don't let the heartburn-like hollowness that grows inside you when you get an insensitive review eat you up. Say, there are no professionals on here. This is simply one person's opinion, and it doesn't match up with mine, but that's okay. I'll try again tomorrow.

If you post any other photography or writing, do let me know and I'll look at it. :)

Sincerely,

Narnie,

a kindred spirit
quicksilverwriter.blogspot.com
new short story every week
read OR send me a picture :)

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:42 pm
View Likes
Paracosm says...

I liked the color changes, they look awesome! Everyone who's reviewed this has said, "This is supposed to look like such and such." That's not true. It's supposed to look how you want it to look. I thought the effects were nice, and even though the finer details were lost, that's fine.

Have you ever watched a good horror movie that lets you see the monster right off the bat? No. Everything is dark and spooky and looks just off enough to grab your attention. The finer details are lost in all the spooky-ness, and eerie stuff. I thought that's what these effects did. Good job! Keep it up!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm
Learner1 says...

emilybrodo wrote:We went to a graveyard for religion, kind of weird I know. My camera's just a cheap little thing, I didn't really put much thought when I took these photos. Call me crazy but I was looking out for ghosts ha ha. I was trying to put colours into these photos, my friends seem to like them but I guess since they are cheap then they must look it. I think perhaps I'll just keep to writing.

Ghots? Did you just say ghots? Did you catch any on those photos you took?
Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, so get out there and do it!

46 Reviews

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 pm
View Likes
emilybrodo says...

Nah, didn't see any and I haven't seen any in my photos, but you never know! A ghost might turn up!

The game

Free reviews here

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 pm
Learner1 says...

That is so true!

46 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 am
View Likes
emilybrodo says...

I'll let you know if any do turn up!

The game

Free reviews here

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm
View Likes
Learner1 says...

That sounds great! ; )

You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle