z

Young Writers Society

A few paintings

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 am
Payne says...

You can click on the image to see it bigger.

bluehat.JPG

This was done on request for my grandmother...not really my usual style, but it felt like a good way to get back into painting. I know it's not anatomically great...it's actually not one of my favorites, but oh well.
Done with my 'good' acrylic paints.

snowyowl.JPG

I used a reference for this, and the wooden post is my first successful use of a palette knife. Also done with the acrylic paints.
Last edited by Payne on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 am
SirenCymbaline says...

I love the eyes on the snowy owl. They're done very well, very accurate. Nice feathers too, I love detail!
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am
hudz96 says...

Hello Im hudz nice to meet you.

My Favorite is the OWL!!! stunning really i love the way you made the eyes it looks like you used gimp!!! The corner of its head is a little out of proportion though, dont you think? Im going to print that image off.... (this is me asking permission) Its going in a personal book please!!

For the first Image... im going to agree with you. maybe get her hair to come in front a little, or sway in the wind. If you will ever do another duplicate of the image again how about some jaws ;)

Love
Hudz
XXXX
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hi! You always stop by and review my arts, so I'm glad I can return the favor ^_^

I like both these pictures! The owl is my favorite, it reminds me of Hedwig :) For a second I thought it was an actual photograph and not a drawing, so kudos! It definitely looks realistic! You're really talented with mixing paints and finding colors. I've never actually used acrylics before x)

For critique, there's nothing obvious that needs fixing. I would suggest darker shading in places under the wing or under the neck so that we could see the form of the owl better and it wouldn't look like one solid white shape.

I like the first pic too. I think the background color and the blue colors on the hat are really pretty. Maybe if you added a bit of a smirk or some kind of expression to the girl it would draw us in more. I think the head looks a little round, so I would pay attention more to the angles of the jaw or cheek and edge those out a bit. Maybe you could bring her hair over her face a little, too.

Overall, these are so cool :D I really have no experience with actual paints, so this is all impressive to me ^_^
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:32 pm
murtuza says...

Please do the whole of humanity a favour and keep posting more awe-great paintings like these. This is awesomeness on canvas. :)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane