z

Young Writers Society

Ronan and Shoba - Original Characters

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm
View Likes
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

So I started drawing Ronan sometime last week. When I began drawing I didn't have any special ideas for it, but I started getting all kinds of cool ideas for a cape and stuff so it kinda transformed while I was working on it. It took a while for me to get the design down right, I wanted something simple but cool enough for a main character lol.

I thought up the name by taking the Hebrew name Onan (meaning strength) and playing around with it. Still don't know if it quite fits though, let me know if you have any suggestions.

I drew Shoba last summer, but I had this weird feeling that he existed in the same world as Ronan so I found the old sketch and cleaned it up so I could post it again.

I actually really like his name, I took it from a the female name Shobha (which means brilliance in Indian) and changed the spelling so that it looked like it could fit a boy. I imagine he would be one of those smart villian characters x)

Sorry about all the rambling, but that's a little background on who I thought these guys were ^_^

Please review!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 pm
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

Ahhhhhhh oh my god you're so gooooooooooood.

I'll start with Ronan, since he's the first picture XP
First off, I would just like to point out how FREAKING AMAZING he looks. Seriously, I took one look at him and he's now my favorite OC anyone has ever had ;P he's just adorable and cool looking. One thing that I's like to say is that the mesh of different textures with the pencil as well as the digital painting is interesting. I'm not sure exactly if I like it or not.... one the one hand, it makes the pants and inside of the cape look really good and like real fabric, yet on the other hand, it seems almost to clash a little with the digital aspect... I don't know, for now I'll say it has a 50/50 affect on me.
Now on to the clothes. I LOOOOVE this cape he has. It's just so totally epic that I can't get enough of it. I love it so much! I like his gloves, too. They have kind of a batman-ish feel to them XP I think his whole outfit just works together perfectly, and I love it. The only thing I have to call to your attention is that the part where the jeans and t-shirt meet is pointed awkwardly. It's fine for the shirt, to be pointed out like that and all, but pants don't usually go outward like that, they usually turn more inwards with the hips.
P.S. I LOOOVE his name. I love love love it. Keep it! Keeeeeeeeep ittt!!! ;P

Okay, now for Shoba. I can't really picture him as a villain XP I don't know, maybe it's the light hair, but he looks like he'd be on the same side as Ronan. Jeez, you're so good at wrinkles >.< I really don't have any nitpicks for Shoba... I think the only thing would be that his chin is leaning kind of to the left, so it's a little lopsided, but I myself just noticed that so it's not a hugely problematic thing. Gosh I love how you draw hair :3 how many times have I said that now? XP I think I've lost count. Anyway, I just like how you add so much detail with the strands of hair and such. It looks very flow-y.

Looove itttt
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:52 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Three words:
W, O, W!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:01 am
hudz96 says...

alfredsymon wrote:Three words:
W, O, W!

Three Letters...

W.O.W

Three words...

Absolutely.Amazing.Artwork
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm
Snoink says...

Hi! Okay, your first picture is really cool and professional looking, plus I love the cape. So kudos for that!

My only real comment is that the second picture, he looks like he has a female breast. So, a little weird.

Anyway, good job!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:41 am
hudz96 says...

Black Sheep about Snoik's comment i think its because of the shading, maybe you should alter the direction of the shades.

Hudz
X
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am
Payne says...

Impressive! There's a lot to look at here...as usual, I am in awe of your talent.

Ronan (I agree, good name): His expression is great, but I'm a bit bothered by the way his lips almost don't meet in the center of his mouth.
Also, the fork of his legs is oddly curved. It should be more...well, fork-y.

Shoba: That face! I can see him as being perhaps a sympathetic villain...lot of sorrow visible there. His chest does look weird, though, as well as his arms. They seem freakishly muscular in comparison to his slender face.
The detail on the cloth around his neck is fantastic; the designs are an excellent touch.

Micki gushed on the way you draw hair, so I shall gush on the way you draw eyes. They are simply dazzling...I just want to stare at them. Like, for an hour or two.

Keep up the great work!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina