z

Young Writers Society

Reach for the Sky

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:53 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

I just discovered how easy it is to create clouds on my new drawing program so I made an art just for it ^_^

It was originally going to be 'reach for the stars', with the sky at dusk, and rocks in the water, but that idea got changed when I found out how much fun it was to draw clouds, lol

The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:25 pm
LemonyIce says...

Hey Sheep!

I like these pictures! But I think the second one looks better, really. In the first one, the water looks very... solid. It doesn't look like it's flowing very freely or, well, like water. And the legs of the boy look like they're growing out of something, like a plant. Maybe if you add a little effect around the legs it'll look better. But you could add some view of what's underneath the water, so it looks more transparent.

In the second one, the rocks could be a little bigger and you can try to add some effect around them too. But, they look good otherwise.

In both the pictures, I love how you've made the boy's back. The details in the hair is what I loved the most. XD It's really beautiful, though.

Great pictures!
~HPR~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Cadi says...

Wow.
Ok, first: these are both awesome. I love the clouds, and I agree, clouds are super-fun to draw, aren't they? I also think the character's hair is done brilliantly - hair is one of those things that evades me at the moment.

If I could make a suggestion, though, I'd say that the water could do with a bit of a reflective quality; water is shiny, so it would perhaps look a bit more natural in the colour version to have a bit of a reflection of the character. If not, a bit of shadow would work, too - the surface of the water at the moment isn't 'reacting' to having the person standing in it.

Apart from that, I love both of these pictures. I hope you keep making awesome art with your new program! (I'm currently arguing with mine, sadly.)
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hello.

I rather liked these. But a few complaints:

1- His arm has a very long upper arm. If you bend your elbow so your wrist is nearly touching your shoulder, you'll find it's doing just that: nearly touching your shoulder. There isn't that much difference between the length of a forearm and upper arm. On both your images, although on the coloured one it's more pronounced, you have a far greater difference than that. A quick measurement revealed that the upper arm is nearly half a cm longer than the forearm and hand combined. This is a pretty big difference that makes the arm look out of proportion for me.

2- You're missing his reflection in the water. With the light source the way it is, you'd be able to see at least patches of colour that reference him.

3- His hands are a bit blobby. You can barely see his little finger on his outstretched hand, and the hand beside his body looks curled up in a rather awkward way (twisted around with a bent wrist and fisted). This, however, is only on the coloured version. The lineart has rather nice hand definition, and makes the pose look much more natural. I'd see about re-adding those construction lines to the coloured version.

4- From a coloured-only issue to a lineart-only issue: the curve of the Earth is reversed in this image. In order for that to be a sky, there'd need to be a straight or barely convex (bulging outward) line. That is a deep concave (inward).

I do like the image, though. It's a pretty concept and the sky is stunning. It just needs a little bit of construction work and some more finishing touches.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions/comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm
murtuza says...

Hey, Blacky! ^.^

You know how much I love viewing your artwork. This is a brilliant piece and I'm really impressed based on the first impressions that the image has given me. But on closer speculation, there are a few suggestions I would like to give you even though Rosey and Cadi above me have given some great advice too. :)

Firstly, I would like to point out the subject of depth in the water body. To me, it looks like the boy could be standing in any part of the ocean's shallow waters and I can't really make out whether he's closer to the shore or deeper in. The measure of depth isn't really well distinguished and I think that by adding those pebbles to the coloured image would give an idea and solve the issue.

Also, there could have been some nice rippling affect to the water along with reflections to provide for detail. Some subtle waves here and there in the distant would have also been a nice effect and added to the calm atmosphere of the image.

You're great with hair. The hair is just beautiful and wavy and I can almost see each and every strand. The line detail and outlining done here is very well executed. But on the rest of the body, it doesn't seem as well defined. The second image really showed us the creases of his pants and shirt but in the coloured version, it's non-existent. Adding that particular dimension to the body would greatly improve its appeal.

Also, you've drawn the scene out in a sort of angle. An the horizon is also well defined as well. So it's already understood that the clouds and the sky as a whole must also follow suit and be as much inclined as the sea is. The imagery would have been better if the clouds had more of a slant so that the angles of the horizon and the clouds match.

A bit of the sun's rays falling on the water through the clouds to create that 'heavenly' effect as the boy touches the air would have made this picture look even more beautiful. I can imagine it in my head and it certainly would provide incredible beauty.

I hope you liked a few of the suggestions that I made. Once again, you've managed to give me a thought-provoking piece that's so good, it's making me want to pick up a pencil and randomly scribble and draw things. (Most probably stick-men xD)

Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures. I really enjoyed it :D

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

739 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 pm

HarryPotterRocks wrote:Hey Sheep!

I like these pictures! But I think the second one looks better, really. In the first one, the water looks very... solid. It doesn't look like it's flowing very freely or, well, like water. And the legs of the boy look like they're growing out of something, like a plant. Maybe if you add a little effect around the legs it'll look better. But you could add some view of what's underneath the water, so it looks more transparent.

In the second one, the rocks could be a little bigger and you can try to add some effect around them too. But, they look good otherwise.

In both the pictures, I love how you've made the boy's back. The details in the hair is what I loved the most. XD It's really beautiful, though.

Great pictures!
~HPR~

haha, I would never have guessed the second pic would look better xP It was just the original outline. But I guess it includes details that the other doesn't.

I actually considered putting fish in the water, or some kind of plants, but in the end I wanted this to be a very simplistic drawing. Hm, maybe I should've added something x)

Thanks so much for the review!
-Chuck Palahniuk

739 Reviews

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Cadi wrote:Wow.
Ok, first: these are both awesome. I love the clouds, and I agree, clouds are super-fun to draw, aren't they? I also think the character's hair is done brilliantly - hair is one of those things that evades me at the moment.

If I could make a suggestion, though, I'd say that the water could do with a bit of a reflective quality; water is shiny, so it would perhaps look a bit more natural in the colour version to have a bit of a reflection of the character. If not, a bit of shadow would work, too - the surface of the water at the moment isn't 'reacting' to having the person standing in it.

Apart from that, I love both of these pictures. I hope you keep making awesome art with your new program! (I'm currently arguing with mine, sadly.)

*facepalms* I knew I forgot something! I bet nobody can see it, but one the lineart those little faint lines behind the character were supposed to remind me to make a shadow there when I colored... whoops.

This was really good advice! Thanks a ton :D
-Chuck Palahniuk

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith