z

Young Writers Society

Ho ho ho!

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:41 am
murtuza says...

This is the picture I took for submitting in the Christmas photography contest. Let me know what you guys think!

winding-2.jpg
winding-2.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Spoiler! :
Edits made: Brightness/contrast ratio and lens vignetting.
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 pm
Blues says...

Murtuxa!
Submitting for the contest too? Hehehe. May the best (wo)man win!

Anyway. I really like this photo! Definitely fits in with the theme. Is it some sort of ornament? I like how it shimmers (the wrapping paper) and Santa's expression. It's just... <3

I'm not sure if it's the vignette, but if it isn't, then my one critique would be if the photo was clearer because the ornament seems a little bit blurry.

But all in all, I love it!

Keep Snappin'!

Ahmadbro

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm
Rydia says...

Hi!

Okay so I like this but I wish the presents weren't quite so blurred as they're prettier than the ornament (which kind of scares me) and it would be great if those little twinkly parts were exaggerated just a little more and they became the focus of the photo. Actually, I'd have loved to see a downward shot from behind santa, on to the presents (and not just because he scares me, honest!) because that would have given you some great lighting and removed the issue of the background. Which is just causing issues. The tablecloth/ tea towels side isn't so bad but the wall in the top right corner really distracts from the overall composition.

Also, not sure if that's a cupcake or a santa sack or something, but that second ornament would have looked better from a different angle. It's very flat from the front and not very interesting.

Good luck with the contest!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

Hi!

lol, this Santa's pose is making me smile.

I really like this ornament :) I have to agree that the picture needs to be less blurry. It looks almost like you took the picture on an overcast day with no lights on inside the room, so everything is a little darker than it should be.

Also, fold down that lump in the tablecloth x) If it was flat, I really think Santa would look a little mightier and less like the tablecloth was coming alive and trying to eat him.

Best of luck in the contest!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 pm
Niebla says...

Hey Murt,

I love that ornament! I also love the idea of the picture -- it's very festive. I also love the individuality of it -- you don't see pictures of Santa pulling a face like that every day! :wink:

I do, however, agree with others that I think this photograph could do with being just a little bit clearer. It doesn't look like the lighting is as great as it could be.

Also, I'm not completely sure if I like the background. It's okay, and fairly interesting, but I think you could have found a much better one. Although the main object of the picture is fascinating and festive, the table cloth? Not so much. If you could have found a different background and made it as interesting as possible, as well as making sure there was just enough light to take a clear, good photograph, I believe that you could have made this photo a bit better. You also could have tried experimenting with the angle just a little more -- personally, I think many photographs work better if the subject is a little off centre. You could try taking photographs from lower down and looking up, or from a side view -- you get the idea. It's just experimenting, really.

All in all, I like this -- but I think that you could definitely make it better. Keep trying to! :smt001

~Misty~

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James