z

Young Writers Society

A Christmas Wreath

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Hi all! This is for the Christmas contest. I thought I missed it, but Lumi said they extended that... so I'm submitting this!

Thoughts and reviews appreciated! :) (Double click it to make it larger)
Xmas Wreath very small.jpg
Xmas Wreath very small.jpg (253.86 KiB) Viewed 190 times

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm
Niebla says...

Hey PinkBlues,

This isn't bad! It's a clear, good quality photograph, and I like the subject. It's very seasonal. However, I do think that there are some points which could be improved on.

1) The angle. If you experimented with the angle a bit more, I believe you could make this a lot more interesting. At the moment, it's dead in the centre, which does bring a very clear focus to the subject, but doesn't do much to add interest. Experimenting with the angle might also change the lighting -- I think the photograph could be lit just a bit more brightly, although I understand it's hard to do.

2) The background. If you moved the christmas wreath somewhere else, it might add a lot more interest to the photograph. At the moment, the background is just a little bit dull -- a plain door. It's not too bad, but again, I think you could make it a bit more interesting. Perhaps you could try laying it down on some interesting fabric of some kind?

3) Adding a few other bits. By doing this you could make the wreath look a bit moe interesting. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by "other bits" but something small would do, like glitter or sequins or buttons, or even flower petals. Something which would distract from the main subject but would add interest.

I think that's about all! This should give you enough to think about before taking your next photographs. :wink: Keep practising, I'd love to see your photography as it improves.

~Misty~

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 pm
murtuza says...

Ahmadbro!

So you finally went ahead and crossed over to the neighbor's side and snap one, did ya? ;)
Well, the wreath does look lovely and is an inspiring Christmas decorative ornament. There's much you could have done with the photograph. But I do understand that you wanted to leave it unmodified to match the rules of the competition. And Misty above me has given a lot of great advice.

To make this picture a bit better, I would have suggested you try to make the colurs more vibrant and outward. The ribbons and the green-ness of the leaves could have been amplified to be more appealing and inviting. Since you were aiming at taking a simple photo of the wreath, the camera angle for it is just fine. But in order to truly have captured its essence, you could have kept the wreath in a more symmetrical position (See how the ribbon on the bottom isn't straight). It's seems a little angular and thus, it looks a bit odd since it's the main subject matter. But that's just me being too picky on the details. And I'm sure it'd be appreciated the same just the way it is too ;D

I'm sure that you could have cropped out a bit of the top and bottom of picture. The length of the entire picture as a whole would be better streamlined. Also, there were a couple of details that you could have omitted.

The peep-hole could have easily been covered under the upper ribbon had you taken the photo from a right angular side. The peep-hole does come in the way of the beauty of the subject since it's smack in the middle of the frame. So by avoiding that and snapping it at the aforementioned angle, you could have made the picture look a little more artistic and avoid any hindrance towards your main subject.

This was a great effort considering that you had to quickly snap one while your neighbors weren't noticing. Ever think of becoming an espionage agent? You could totally take pictures of all the wreaths on every door! And make them look good while you're at it. 8)

Keep clicking. I want to see more photography from you. I'm already pretty sure that you're an excellent author. Now I want to see some photographic genius as well. So I'll be looking forward to it.

Murtuza
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman