z

Young Writers Society

Boston Massacre (Redrew the picture)

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:36 pm
Fishr says...

The first picture was my attempt after seven or so years being completely away from sketching and of course I picked something with a ton of detail - very much out of my range for now. Still, the first picture was terriable and I disliked it so much, I redrew the picture.

This was the picture I was looking at for reference.

The revised picture. I was putzing around, and I kind of like the slight blurriness. At first, I wasn't so sure but it seemed to grow on me at least. Opinions welcomed.

The original drawing, to compare. I believe the first was a vast improvement.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Fishr on Sun May 07, 2006 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 am
Jennafina says...

That looks nice for a first try in ten years or whatever, lol :)

My main critique is that everything looks really two dimentional. To fix this you could add some shading to the people and some perspective to the buildings in the back. Also, I think this would look better if you were to finish coloring it, and used a bunch of colors, not just red and blue.

The smoke looks especially good.

362 Reviews

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:09 am
Fishr says...

Thanks Jenna for the input. I think I will work on that, creating 3D and work on shading some more.

Also, I think this would look better if you were to finish coloring it, and used a bunch of colors, not just red and blue.
Possiably, but honestly I hardly use colour unless I have too. I enjoy black and white better.

The smoke looks especially good.
Thank you! :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:09 am
Sponson Light says...

Remember, the smoke is from all the gunpowder goin off.
First things first, the human anatomy.
*sigh* Id never thought Id say this, but find a few how to draw manga stuff online.
The proportion is horribly wrong in manga, but it serves as a basis for drawing human bodies.
For the eyes, just reference photos.

When looking at photos, remember to draw whats there, not what you think is there.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

362 Reviews

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:16 am
Fishr says...

Thank you, Sponson. I will try that. Magna, I think is a bit tricky, but I will get the hang of it. I like the tip of referencing photos, that is a good idea!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:11 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The buildings look a little tilted. You might want to use a ruler or some other straight edge to make them a little more level. CD cases work nicely.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:25 pm
Emma says...

It's nice for a first try. Yeah, I would use a ruler for the buildings and such. Also, the human anatomy really needs some help on that. So yeah, just listen to Sponson and everyone else. XD

362 Reviews

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:29 pm
Fishr says...

LOL, thanks guys. The people crack me up, though.

Eventually, I have people down. Just have to keep at it, and harness it again. :wink:

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:17 am
Elizabeth says...

it's cute... i always tend to copy things down and they look all weird... but this was cute hee hee :)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 am
Snip Snip says...

It looks really... different from the original drawing, but I still like it :D
so give me all your poison,
and give me all your pills,
if this is what you want then
FIRE AT WILL

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:10 am
Shriek says...

I have that picture in my American History textbook!
My only complaint is that there is so much gunpowder, and only two guns! (But the gunpowder looks cool, regardless.) Maybe add more men in so that it really DOES look like a massacre--and not a Hamilton/Burr shootout. ; )

Nice work!
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

362 Reviews

Sun May 07, 2006 3:25 am
Fishr says...

So, what does everyone think of the change? I slowed down and put more effort into round two. I know it's not perfect, and I'm gradually learning shadowing and drawing people again but I'll get there eventually. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 pm
Jayjoke1 says...

[quote="Jennafina"]That looks nice for a first try in ten years or whatever, lol :)

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White