z

Young Writers Society

Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 am
AerozelFatalis says...

AquaMarine wrote:
What if you have an account somewhere else, like DA, and you put the same pic up on both? How can you tell if that's the case? Some people have accounts on both, just under different names.

That could easily be confirmed, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. :)

This is my picture from DeviantArt. I hope someone doesn't steal this one. I just saw this Dr. Phil show where these guys were conned out of thousands of dollars because they found some girl on the internet with the same picture. It turned out that the con artist was from Nigeria.

Reviews: 1
Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 am
View Likes
Monstrocker says...

Plagiarism really sucks.

During my AP class, I was with some group for a project. I cried so much when I got a low score on my group presentation all because some member in my team plagiarized. I got infuriated afterwards, since he something so low in a college class :/

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:48 pm
godlypopo says...

AerozelFatalis wrote:I hate plagarism. Someone's stolen from me before. I drew a picture on deviantart and then on some warrior cat site there was same picture with someone claiming that it was theirs. It even had my signature in the corner. People are so ridiculous these days. Just because you add some fancy filter doesn't make it yours.

Seriously, do your own work you pirates.

Deviantart has its works plagiarised all the time! It's so annoying :/
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:41 pm
OliverWilliams says...

I half-heard something once, I was wondering if anyone could fill in the gaps?

According to UK law, making three noticeable edits to a -photograph- makes it an "original piece of art", and would belong to he or she who made the edits.

Is this true?
Follow me on Twitter :D @TheOllieJames

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:30 am
Rook says...

@OliverWilliams
I don't know much about UK law, but I doubt that's true. (Also, since YWS is international, we have to follow laws in America, too, I think)
See the picture I attached? that was a photograph I made 3 edits to, but if I claimed that it was my art, it would definitely still be plagiarism.

I think what you might be thinking of is the 90% (I don't actually know the real percentage) change you have to make for words to not be considered plagiarized. My art teacher mentioned something about a percentage for art too, that you have to change a very large percentage of the artist's original work before you can even hope to call it your art. Basically, until if you were comparing the two pictures, you would just barely be able to recognize that one came from the other. But I have no actual evidence to support this.
I say, just stick to 100% original art, and you'll be okay. :)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm
View Likes
AlexNoelle says...

I hate plagiarism.
I've had my own art stolen before, it was terrible, people didn't believe it was mine and the other person got all the credit. But on the other hand, I myself have been accused of not actually drawing my own pictures, not because they had seen my art somewhere else or anything like that, no. They just decided in their own mind that "someone like me" can't "possibly that good at drawing." (At least part of that statement is a compliment) So I was forced to prove the fact that I made my own art, the art that I slaved over for hours just for someone to tell me that I was too dumb to make something like that and I must've stolen it. So as much as I hate plagiarism, you have to be careful when you think someone might have stolen art, and don't believe everyone that says another person plagiarizes.
Don't be so quick to call people out, it might turn out the person you thought originally drew it is actually the one that stole it.

Also, my friend wrote a story a while back, it was more like a book actually, and it got stolen and got pretty popular with someone else's name on it. It was so infuriating.

Don't plagiarize.

364 Reviews

Reviews: 364
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm
zaminami says...

what if I have a picture -- like an eye -- and trace it over like it's a template? If I change the skin to scales, the eye to a dragon's and purple, no eyelashes, etc., would that work?
tartaglia, they/he lesbian.
i also go by skylar and reginald!
First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 pm
Omni says...

@DemonGoddess if you're not trying to claim the artwork as your own or you're not trying to make money off of said alteration, then it's not plagiarism. For example, I use edited pictures for my Storybooks. Some of them only have text over the picture, but it's not plagiarism because I never said the pictures were mine nor was I trying to make money off of them.

If you believe that's still not enough (can never be too safe, y'know!) then you could always link the original picture and its creator in whatever project you're doing.

Now, if you're wanting to use this edited picture for a project you're wanting to make money off of, then that's a hugely different scenario, and you would want to ask the original creator for their permission.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:00 am
ZenobiaHaines says...

Emerson wrote:
Elinor wrote:Really people, you're just asking yourself for a permanent ban from YWS.

Actually, it is not permanent:

Kamas wrote:The length [of the ban] depends on the severity of the plagiarized material, usually two weeks. Other times, it can be longer.

All bans are considered based on the situation. Still, plagiarism is a serious thing and all members should know what they're getting themselves into if they plagiarize.

I agree that plagiarism is a serious thing. A plagiarism must be punished.

Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare