z

Young Writers Society

How to Resize an Image

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 am
Elinor says...

Being a frequent reviewer of Art & Photography, I often come across images that have been scanned in to the computer and posted at actual size of a piece of paper. That's huge.

It's annoying for everyone, because it stretches out our browsers and we can't see the whole drawing or photo at once-we have to scroll. Secondly, these photos/drawings are often attached, so there usually is distortion in the image. I yell at people a lot for this, and then I realized that a lot of people don't know how to re-size images. That is why I've put together this guide for all of you.

This guide is based of photobucket, the image hosting site that I use. If you, for any reason, can't use photobucket or it is too confusing for you, picresize is a nice, simple site for resizing photos.

Upload your image to photobucket. To do this, log in. If you don't have an account-register quickly. Once you've logged in and gotten to the homepage, click on "My Home" in the top left corner. Once that is done, you should come to a screen with a big button that says, "Upload Images and Video".
Once you do that, scroll below and you'll find a tiny version of your image with three blue links above it, in order, "edit, share, delete". Click on edit.

You will be taken to fotoflexer, which is the editing software photobucket uses. There will be a few tabs of options. You should start out at the "General" tab, where a bunch of little buttons should be below. "Resize" is one of them. Click it.

Here you can specify a new size. If you're too confused to type one in manually, then click on the preset sizes below. You will be given several options: Large, Medium, Small & Tiny. Click on medium. It will be just the perfect size for forum-viewing; big enough to see but small enough to not stretch browsers. Ignore the dimensions; the images will not be distorted.

Voila, you are all done! Click, "save a copy." That way, if you ever decide you don't like something, you can go back an change it on the original. You will be taken to a screen with your image at actual size. There will be several tabs above the image, but ignore them for now. Follow the lefthand column, where you should come across a tiny box that says, "Share". There will be 4 codes; one direct link, one for email and IM, one HTML code, and on IMG code. Copy/paste the IMG code into the YWS text box, and voila!

-
I hope this guide helps people resize their images! Have a nice day.

-Elinor

P.S. Mods, if you want to edit anything in, maybe some pictures, feel free to. I was originally going to have screenshots to go along with this but my computer was having technical difficulties.
Last edited by Elinor on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 am
Kamas says...

I luffs you lots for posting this. People, you have no idea how much it chases reviewers away.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 am
Mo. says...

Just one question, is photobucket a 14+ thing or something? 'cause I can't create an account...

~Mo.
Mo. was here. :) mwahahaha

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm
Elinor says...

Yeah, it is. :(

I suppose you can try http://www.flickr.com , which is another good site. It runs through yahoo, which has an age limit of thirteen, I think.
I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how to resize images on that site but I'll soon find out and post a version for this guide for flickr.

-- Walt Disney

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

*whoot* I highly approve of this tutorial thingy! I myself struggled with resizing images in my day and a simply resizing makes it so much easier to see and appreciate an image online!

Definitely research and post the results about how to do this is flickr, just to open up options for people!

Yay! Exclamation points of approval, you has them!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:57 am
Elinor says...

[Will edit this post later with a guide for flickr users]

-- Walt Disney

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 am
Jennafina says...

This is good stuff. *stickies*
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 am
Silversun says...

Hey, for the photos I post I use:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
(This one didn't work as well, but it was still pretty to easy to us. My computer just didn't work with it very well.)

http://www.picresize.com/
(This is the one I really recommend, it really makes it easy.)

Just thought I'd add some more suggestions.
Have you ever smelled sunshine? Have you tasted the color orange? I know how you can... post880303.html#p880303

This is a gift. It comes with a price.
Who is lamb and who is the knife?
-Florence and the Machine

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 am
Elinor says...

I checked both sites out, and picresize looks like a really good website. So simple and easy to use! I don't think I'll need to write a guide for it, so I'll just edit a link to it in the main post.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:12 am
Lava says...

You can also use TinyPic. It's a super simple really effective software.

Get it here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tinypic.html
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:10 pm
TexanWriter says...

I use paint.net to resize my images. It isn't directly for that, but I'm never certain using sites to resize my stuff and I can just change the size as I'm editing photoes.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun May 09, 2010 10:52 pm
SammyMercury says...

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I have now started using picresize and at 10 to 15 percent, it works perfectly. Thanks.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss