z

Young Writers Society

Character Doodles #1

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 pm
View Likes
Fan says...

Haven't drawn in ages and now I suck. So I'm doing five minute sketches of the characters from a manga I'm making. This is the protagonist, her name is yet unnamed for now. They're only doodles really (and it's crazy), so there's no need to crit, though if you can, a few pointers would be nice. Oh, and the guy on weed in the corner is me.
Last edited by Fan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:05 pm
Aedomir says...

Whats a manga? Shes pretty cool actually, I like the far right one. Pretty good drawings!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

161 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm
Fan says...

manga: Often called a style of drawing, though actually, its any graphci novel made/published in japan. I think.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:17 pm
Aedomir says...

I think i've herad of that actually lol
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 pm
Via says...

They are interesting, that's for sure! Haha.

But they are very...sticky. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for ..manga? But that annoys me. And yes, the legs need some definite work. Remember people have knees and calves and thighs.

In the one to the right the creases in the shirt are very good, but try to add some shading. Also, watch how angled you make the breasts.

Happy editing!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:43 pm
scotty.knows says...

Yes, I agree with Via, right now they look like heroin addicts.

Manga people do tend to be a little leaner than most "real" humans, but this is cutting it kind of close.

The girl on the left's legs are too short and the girl on the right's legs are too long.

I did catch the "RRRGGHHH, I hate legs" comment.

One thing you might want to do- it really helped me with drawing people- is to look at pictures of bodybuilders and then try sketching them. It really helped me- especially with legs. Like calves. Calves were the one place I had a really hard time. But lo and behold, sketching bodybuilders helped me with that.

Of course, now all my drawings look like they're of fitness models, but aren't most cartoon characters that way?

Anyway, keep up the good work.
'Merikuh!

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:44 pm
lakegirls says...

Hi,
Wow these are good drawings, your really talented. I really liked that pic you took too, the on from camp was it?

Love,
N
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

161 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 am
Fan says...

Yes, I do indeed hate legs. I've been thinking about takign figure drawing classes to sort them out. I'll take your tips to hand. And my people do come out rather thin, don't they? I draw rough guidelines, which I then preceed to ignore because I feel they look to fat. And thanks for the compliment lakegirl, I thnik you meant mean the picture before the parade.

Don't gobblefunk around with words.
— Roald Dahl