z

Young Writers Society

A fish

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:38 am
NewWriter says...

This is a random picture I took at my aunt and uncle's 30th wedding anniversary reception right after I found out it was real fish in the bowl. It turned out better than I expected. And yes, that is a wineglass in the upper right. It is not mine. And I really wish I had taken it with a smaller resolution. Sorry if (like me) you have dial-up or slow internet and it takes a long time to load.
Attachments
Fish.jpg
Fish.jpg (623.97 KiB) Viewed 719 times

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 am
Areida says...

It looks really cool, except that it's kind of a strange angle on the fish... like staring at its butt or something. Do beta fish have butts?

Seriously, though, I would crop this to focus in more on the fish. The things in the periphery are just distractions.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 am
scotty.knows says...

I like the green bowl, it's pretty.

The only problem is that the Beta is facing the wrong way. I'm afraid I can't seem to come to appreciate it as fully as I might as if the Beta were facing towards the camera.

The solution: go back to your uncle's 30th wedding- thirty times is a lot of weddings- and take the picture again. (J/K)

Welcome to YWS. I like your name.

And I was only kidding about the thirty weddings.
'Merikuh!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:43 am
Snoink says...

Hehehe, the fish has a look on its face that says, "I'm too good for your camera!" Which is slightly funny. But still... this came out pretty good for an animal picture! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:58 pm
Myth says...

Compared to those green pebbles that fish is tiny! And very pretty pretty colours. I'd suggest cropping it so you don't really see anything outside the bowl.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:22 am
Monki says...

I wish you would've taken it from a different angle. I, too feel like I'm staring at a fishes butt. Lol. It's awkward. The angle ruins the picture... Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:07 pm
Via says...

It really is pretty cool...but it is odd that we are staring at the fish butt. A sideview would have been better?

I'd definitely crop it, but it doesn't have to be completely cropped to where the bowl is in dead center...leave a little on the outer edges.

Did you use a flash or that the glare off the bowl from something else?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Kadie says...

I really love the contrast between the green-ness of the bowl and blue-ness of the fish. Beautiful colours.

Yes, the angle is a little...awkward...but what the hell, you're not a professional, this is how you learn. Trial and error baby. Keep at it :)

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:15 pm
MidnightVampire says...

I really like this. Just because the fishlooks unaware, then there's the light shining in. Then maybe the fact that the bowl is green just helps out a lot. looks like the type of photo I would take.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Twit says...

I'm looking at the pebbles and going, "Oooh, pretty, pretty, pretty green!" Only after gazing in raptures at the pebbles for five minutes do I drag myself away and look at the fish. There is a short blank in my mind, then the old cerebellum points a doubtful finger and murmurs, "Fish. Is its tail made of string or something?"

Of course you can't change it now. If you wanted to get a picture of the fish, then make the background less busy. If you want a picture that you can look at several times and enjoy with each fresh glance, then keep it as it is.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:21 am
~Volant~ says...

Why, yes, it is a fish. In a bowl. lol

Hey, that's really cool! I love all the color. The only issues I have are the cool greens and blues right next to the warm oranges, pinks, and creams. It doesn't really match.
Where are we going?

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:03 pm
NewWriter says...

Thanks, guys. I will try cropping it. (And I'd love to go back and take it again.) *sighs* Oh, well.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:09 am
Jennafina says...

The way the fish is facing away from the camera is somehow unsatisfying. I want to see its face!

I really like the whirl of colors inside the fish bowl, but the pine cones are distracting, and don't seem to go. I'd crop them out as much as you can. Another thing that I think would add to this is a thin, black border all around the picture.

Anyway, great job. It must have been a hard photo to take! Thanks for posting.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:08 am
gracenicole14 says...

Nice! I like the way the bowl bends the light a bit. The background distracted me a bit though. I do, however really really really like the colors! Great job.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm
cat4prowl says...

I like the pose of the fish but, as i believe was mentioned before, the stuff on the outside is distracting. Really distracting. Other than that good job i like the colors!

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White