z

Young Writers Society

Firnath the Dragon Blade

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm
Gladius says...

This is a picture of a drawing (very indistinct, I know) I drew of Firnath the Dragon Blade. I say it now--it does make an appearance in one of my stories. Two, actually. Not telling which up-and-coming ones they are, though. ;)

Any crits would be appreciated, especially if you know anything about swords!
Attachments
Dragon Blade.jpg
Dragon Blade.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 719 times
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:09 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...

I can't really see it, but what I do see looks pretty cool. Very symetrical.
Be obscure clearly - E. B. White

Got YWS?

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 am
canislupis says...

Try scanning your drawings instead of taking pictures of them, if you can. It works a lot better and gives us a clearer image. What we hae now isn't very easy to comment on. ;)

111 Reviews

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:16 am
Gladius says...

The only problem is, I don't have a scanner. I can try to get a better image...the lighting wasn't all that great at the time. I should have another one in just a minute or two...

EDIT: Let's see how this works.
Attachments
Dragon Blade 2.jpg
Dragon Blade 2.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 807 times
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:47 am
~Volant~ says...

Much clearer.

That is a wicked blade! If you bury it in someone to the hilt, the spikes on the hilt stick in them....was that on purpose? that's really cool!

One thing: what's on the side of the blade? I can't really tell
Where are we going?

111 Reviews

Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm
Gladius says...

Yay!

Actually, the points weren't 100% intentional--they were made to mimick a dragon's wings (hence the name Dragon Blade). I guess they could impale the enemy, though. :twisted: It would make it really hard to draw from the body, though... *just had a great idea for the story this blade's in* :twisted:

On the side of the blade? That's suppposed to show the part of the blade that can be sharpened. Basically, there's more area to be sharpened at the midsection of the blade than if it normally curved to a point. I don't know if you get what I mean, but...yeah. ^^;

And on the broadside of the blade, where the little square is, is its name in my own little written language. ^_^

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:16 pm
Meep says...

It looks really short for a sword. Really, really short. In fact, it looks more like a dirk than a sword. (Guessing from the size of the grip, I'd guess the blade itself would be no more than a foot or so long.) See the difference in the blade:hilt ratio between the two links? The cross-guard looks really wide. I would keep it that wide if you were extending the length of the blade to make it more sword-like, but it still might be pretty ungainly, as weapons go. (This image is a pretty good reference for the parts of a sword and their relative ratios to each other. Of course, different styles will have different sizes, but they're all about the same, when you get down to it.)

I used to draw swords a lot - mostly the Sword of Martin, from the Redwall series - and most of the swords I drew had the same problems I see in this. (Which, of course, is why I see them.)

edit: eh-heh, yeah ... somehow, I could've sworn you'd said "sword" somewhere, but apparently not. Disregard all of that if it is, in fact, a dirk or a dagger. *fail*
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

111 Reviews

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:40 pm
Gladius says...

No, Meep, you've got a point. I tend to have problems with that. I draw the blade first, then the hilt, but I always draw the hilt too long. And the crossguard too wide. ^^; So...yeah. I've still got it, I'll see what I can do and update it. I'm really better with dragons, but even then there's a LOT that could be improved upon.

EDIT: Actually, it looks a lot better on paper than in the photo. My phone stinks when it comes to good-quality stuff, especially if I have to zoom in. >.<

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:36 am
MadHatter says...

Wow, that's a really good sword. My swords tend to become lopsided and sort of stupid looking. The one complaint I have with this piece is that it's drawn on lined paper. Lined paper is never good to draw on if your intending to show it off. It takes away from the piece by having all those blue lines thru it. You might want to re-do it or something to make a bit more advanced looking.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:25 pm
Blue Fairy says...

great sword.
I looks really neat.
what colours would it be?

nice handwriting as well.

Random avatar

Reviews: 196
Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:57 pm
Lady Sydney says...

Wow. You've got some amazing talent! It would be better had there been a little color somewhere on the page (either in the sword or in the background) just to brighten it up a bit. ^_^ The detail is very nice, so... wonderful job!

~*Syd*~
Formerly known as Silly Sydstix... as well as Aquarius Angel.

111 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 pm
Gladius says...

Hmm, color...um, well, I hadn't really decided yet. And about lined paper--I have a bad habit of drawing on the back of any sheet of paper I happen to have to hand (cause sometimes my sketchbook is way over on the other side of the house or something), so--yeah. ^^; I can try to photoshop it or something and get rid of the blue lines. *sigh* The only problem with trying to redraw it when you've already handdrawn it is that no two pieces ever come out the same. :( I can try, though...

Thanks for the comments, everybody!

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:44 am
Alteran says...

I think it looks good for line art indeed. The blade is a bit short but that is easily fixed so no worries there. I think you could do some shading on a later version to add some depth. Overall a nice looking sword and the lettering is well done too.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee