z

Young Writers Society

Planet

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:22 am
Doctor Kitty says...

A basic planetscape made in Photoshop. Planet and starfield all made from scratch.

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:10 am
Gwenevire says...

Wow!
That took my breath away. That is really good!
Oh my god I just fell of off my chair.
The stars look like they are shining and the planet looks like it is moving.
Didn't this take you hours? How did you do it?
My only suggestion would be to put some dents into the planet. Make it have craters and stuff. I dono. It just looks a little to perfect XD
Keep doing what you are doing!
Genevieve

PS
Would you mind telling me how you are so good at this? :lol:

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Yeah, the planet itself is my least favorite part of the picture. Something doesn't look right to me; it's lacking closer detail, but I'm proud of the whole thing for the most part.

It took about an hour and a half. This is the first one I've done, so hopefully they can only get better. :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 pm
Firestarter says...

That is really quite stunning. I agree the planet perhaps needs more detail to look more realistic, but it still looks great right now .
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 pm
Palantalid says...

If anything at all I'd just suggest that the contrast between the really bright stars (they would look like a nice little galaxy by themselves) and the brownish planet (I'm just giving feedback- the colouration and the halo effect all around the planet dont fit with the outside starfeild) might be the problems that you need to address. It looks fantastic the way it is.....great job.
What syllable are you seeking,
Vocalissimus,
In the distances of sleep?
Speak it.
—Wallace Stevens, “To the Roaring Wind”

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:23 pm
chocoholic says...

This is truly beautiful.

I didn't really like the colour of the panet, but the rings around it were lovely, and I loved the stars.

Brilliant picture!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm
ennui says...

That came out really, really nice for your first try.
How'd you go about making it? It seems too intricate to be a vexel.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:22 am
Stockmar says...

if you look at planets in our own solar system, many have color variations such as Jupiter or Saturn. you might want to experiment with different colors for the plant to contrast with the background.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:51 am
Teague says...

Yeah... it might help to not have a monochromatic planet. Other than Neptune (Or Uranus, I can't remember which one, the pure blue one), most planets have multiple colours.

But! The stars and the rings look brilliant. I envy those with good Photoshop skills. ;)

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 am
scotty.knows says...

Yeah, if there were just a few different shades it would look better.

But other than that, it's really top notch!

It doesn't even look that bad. The star field and the planet's halo are so amazing it totally drowns out the negative aspects of the work- like the bichromatic nature. *Pats self on back for using big fancy words*.

It might look better if you added some craters... unless it's a planet with an atmosphere.

Other than that, it would make an excellent cover to a sci-fi book. All it needs is a big, groovy-looking font that says something like, "Voyage to Bragnoonadon" or "Star Quest".

Keep up the good work.
'Merikuh!

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 am
MidnightVampire says...

The stars.... actually look like stars. I have not seen that. Ever. Except, of course, in reall life. The way the planet is tilted actually makes it look likes its moving. Great! Amazing! And whatever sinonims there are for those 2 words!
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:40 pm
Myth says...

My first thought was a childish: Oh wow! But this is really beautiful, I love anythign to do with space and planets though I think you have too many stars, but it still looks great.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 196
Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:23 am
Lady Sydney says...

That's so cool! :shock: I could so see that as some kind of poster. Lol Very nice! ^_^

~*Syd*~
Formerly known as Silly Sydstix... as well as Aquarius Angel.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 am
Samantha Eliza says...

I really like this! I wish I had some kind of talent with Photoshop, but sadly, I'm horrible at editing programs. I like how the planet looks, because it seems to have some texture to it, you know? Like the areas of land (or whatever they are) are raised above everything else. Kind of reminds me of earth except... brown.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 am
Alteran says...

Great job Dr. I know how you made this and I still need to do the planet part myself. The planet itself needs some blue or something. The glow around a planet is based on the reflections of light that are bouncing back into the atmosphere. That is why the earth has a bluish hue to it when the sun catches the atmosphere.

The star field is very good, you did a great job varying the sizes of the flares and gave it a great deal of depth. I love the colours too, they're very elegant. Very nice job, keep practicing.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand