z

Young Writers Society

The Artificer's Angel

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:42 pm
ElizaW says...

Just looking for some comments before I finish this.
Attachments
Ess_WIP_by_ElizaWyatt.jpg
Ess, the main character of one of my two novels-in-progress. Painted directly into photoshop.
Ess_WIP_by_ElizaWyatt.jpg (296.85 KiB) Viewed 741 times
The first million words you write are for practice. It doesn't count. Practice getting rejection letters. Don't worry. It doesn't count. If someone accepts your practice novel, it doesn't count either. Practice cashing that check. (-David Gerrold)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:53 am
Via says...

This is a little too "Lara Croft Tombraider: PC game" for me. The flying man is very, very computer generated....I mean, it shows way too much?

The details on the mountains in the background could use a fine tuning, as well.

Maybe try drawing it out first and THEN editing it on the comp? I don't know if you can even do that, but if you can I'd try it! :)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:20 am
Sureal says...

I'm lovin' it. The only part that feels off is the brown boot things - they look rather flat in comparison to the rest of the angel dude.
I wrote the above just for you.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:11 am
View Likes
Alteran says...

That is really good. I use photoshop too, but i could never make something like that directly from it. My only concern is the darkness, it makes it hard to see the detials on the angel. I really like the sun shining through his wing. It looks like an oil painting. I like it very much. Yet another reason to hurry up and read your story.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:46 am
bubblewrapped says...

That's awesome!

I think a bit more detail and sharpness is needed in the foreground, but I'm assuming you'd do that already. I love the light on the angel guy's arms, but it needs to be carried through on the rest of the picture - I can't tell where your light source is coming from and it's bugging me LOL. Try to bring that through a little more, perhaps.

Overall, a nice pic. I'd love to see the finished product ;)

Cheers,
~bubbles
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:18 pm
Myth says...

I love the wings and his hair but the background seems so dull--I'd have expected a more dramatic scene--and his legs look awkward positioned in that way. Hope to see the finished version.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:47 pm
Rydia says...

I like this in general but I think the boots need quite a bit more work and I agree that it's very dark so there isn't really a lot of contrast and some of the detail is and to make out. Compared to the angel, your background is very simple and rather plain. Also, the sun/moon shining through his wing is a touch too circular. Try to make the shape a little less regular and fade it out further so it's more realistic.

In general, the figure is well detailed but a little stiff and he doesn't really seem to fit with the background at the moment.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:45 am
cynicalgurl says...

This is incredible. I would never have the patience to do something like this by hand, let alone on the computer. I have to agree, though. His boots do look flat in comparison to the rest of him. I love the light saber thing he's holding! Reminds me very much of Star Wars. :D

...But that's probably not what you're going for, so ignore me. I've been... what's it called... probed? No, but that'll work for now. I've been reading and watching a lot of sci-fi, so that's all I can think of at the moment, it seams. :D Again, this looks really cool. His wings are amazing. :D

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant