z

Young Writers Society

Pastels by the Pair

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 pm
Via says...

Woo! Pastels! Oil, of course.

First one: a copy of something I found on the internet, though not 100% carbon copy...I kind of made it my own a little. But, I was just trying to get the feel of the pastels again so it was good for that. Thing I already know: lips are a little too pertruding.

Second one: a scene from "Castle of Otranto". Pretend that it's not Belle, that it is infact a lady named Isabella who is running down the stairs from a guy that is trying to attack her. Things I already know: her eyes are freaky.

My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:31 pm
Twit says...

I like the first one. The eyes are really nice, and her (its? lol) hair is crazy.

With the second one, the dress is good, but the face is weird, and the background is a bit boring. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm
Rydia says...

The first one is uber abstract which isn't usually my style but I kind of like it. The use of colour is great though perhaps some careful smudging and more gradual tone changes could improve it. Also, I think the eyes and hair are fantastic but a little over the top with the long neck, the blush and the lips.

In the second one, I love the dress and great work with the lantern but I think the hair needs a little work and the shading could be improved. Oil pastels aren't great for minor detail so you've done a good job with the chosen media and I love the pattern in the bottom right corner. Maybe angle the stairs a bit though so they don't just look like lines on the wall.

Generally, both very nice. Good work.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 am
Alteran says...

The first is very vibrant. It makes me think of a Picaso, but it has a bit more smoothness to it. It is bold and has some great mixing.

The second one is nifty. I like the dress, but I think you could have shadded it more, added some light and dark places to really add dimension to her dress. The lantern could really give a cool lightning effect as well.

Over all nicely done, just needs a little more detail I think. What kind of paper do you use? I use roofing paper when possible with pastels. It has a nice effect.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:39 pm
Via says...

Ha, thanks Adam. Yea I think I may add a few shading details before I turn it in for the scene (yellow dress, not crazy girl). I use pastel paper? Like, literally there is a specific pack of "pastel paper" that I use haha.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:36 am
Wolf says...

Wow, Via!
The first one is my favourite--I love the abstractedness, and the eyes are amazing. The lips do protrude, well, a lot, but you have a disclaimer for that one. :P

The second one is cool but the background is a tad dull. But her dress is really cool! 8)

Cheers,
Ayra :D
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 am
Gwenevire says...

I think I like the first one better.
Maybe you should stick to abstract. =]
Your second one is nice but I think the face and the upper body needs improving... As well as the lamp.
Bells surroundings are some what plane and boring. I think you should add some fancy expensive looking things. To the background.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 am
Teague says...

Whoa. The first one is creepy. The good kind of creepy, though. I love the colours and the bright happy vibe I get from it. And at the same time I'm freaked out and wondering what kind of LSD you're on. xD

(and she kind of looks like a giraffe. xD)

The second one is wonderful, with the exception of her face. Looks like Cogsworth superglued himself to her nose or something. She's got a huge nose and has a facial expression like "What the..."

But that's my only complaint there. Well done!

-St. Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:33 am
chocoholic says...

The first one is funny. The lips are like, huge! And the colours used were really bold and vibrant.

The second one looked like a Disney princess. I don't know which one, I don't really watch Disney movies. But it was good.

I wish I could draw like that.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:38 pm
Sohini says...

Good, but I have seen better pastel works.

The first one is very arty and I love its vibrant hues.

The second one, well, the details are missing.

And what's Mac Donald's "GOlden Arch" doing above Belle? (just kidding)
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke