z

Young Writers Society

Photos from the other side of the Earth

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:50 pm
smorgishborg says...

These are the best of the photos I took over the summer in Tibet. I didn't have a top notch camera (which I regret), but I think they came out okay. It was a pretty fantastic trip.

A Bhuddist Mantra in the water of Yilhun La-tso

Mountains meld into the clouds above the aformentioned lake. Can you tell where the picture starts?

Monks debating at the Karze Monastery, one of the largest in Tibet. This debate was part of ceremonies for the birthday of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Even Monks ride motorcycles.

Yaks being chased off the main street of Yushu, a large city of more then 100,000

A sad reminder of the realitiy of the nation of Tibet. This was in an orphanage in Karze.

PS: Free Tibet!
Last edited by smorgishborg on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:17 pm
Fand says...

These are gorgeous! I envy you your trip to Tibet--it would be awesome. A Buddhist monk is coming to speak at my college in a few days, and I can't wait... he's from Bhutan, though.

1. I really like the murkiness of the water, but I wish the upper and left edges weren't cropped so close to the rock.

2. I can only imagine what it's like to see something like that. The photo's stunning enough!

3. I like it, but feel like it's more of a trip-photo--you know, the sort you put into albums--than a real "photography" photo. It's good, but lacking.

4. I think it's my favorite. In fact, if you don't mind, I'm gonna steal it for my computer's wallpaper. ^_^

5. Great sense of motion. It looks like something you might see in a National Geographic.

6. Beautiful composition. I only wish those telephone lines weren't in the way! They make it look cluttered.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:34 am
MadHatter says...

Wow, I really like the second picture. Anything that has to do with mountains and snow just intriques me. The other ones are real nice pictures, but really don't do much for me. I'm glad you had a really great time and know you've got me wanting to go to Tibet! :)
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:43 am
Sohini says...

The first two pics are grand.

the third one however looks a little confused and messed up.

The fourth one is a marvel: the mountains, the monk the motorbike, it reall is a gem of a shot.

The 5th one too is good and dynamic. there's action in it.

The fifth one is a bit depressing and that's how it is supposed to be, so well done!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm
Someguy says...

I love the second and the last pictures. It is really awesome!
Look at my big shiny shell...

199 Reviews

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:20 pm
smorgishborg says...

Thanks a lot for the comments. Especially Fandilocks comment about using one of them as computer wallpaper. I am very honored.
Also I was grateful for the comments on the shot of the monks. My dad said exactly the same thing... I like it, but maybe just because I can connect photo to memory.

So, with that in mind, I was hoping to get opinions on several others, if people don't mind. I like most of my photos, but some of my friends don't like these two. So I'm curious to know what your opinion is.
One of three shots of different Tibetan children flying kites in Lhasa. I'm the only person who likes this one...

A boat, with the Yarlung-Tsampo (which later is renamed the Brahmaputra as it flows in Bangladesh) behind it.

Thanks for all feedback.
Last edited by smorgishborg on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:23 pm
Emerson says...

I love the monk and the motorcycle picture.

As to the new ones, [s]the first is too small[/s]. I like the shadows to the first one, and the child. It's a very "still life" photo, I like it a lot. I like the background in the second, and it's a good picture, but because I can't see the full of the boat I don't think it is as good as it could be.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:04 pm
Alainna says...

The second photo (of the mountains) is amazing.

The first photo of your newer ones is an excellent still life as Suzanne said. It's great at catching that moment in time and I like the fact that the boy seems unaware that his photo is being taken.

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:58 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

Not much I can say here that hasn't been said before... except that the second photograph was absolutely fantastic!! (!) (!!!)

So, yeah. Great job!

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:03 pm
Evangelina says...

Wow, it reminds me of mt native Taiwan. Beautiful!
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:06 am
thewonderworldofnight says...

aww, man, Tibet...can i come on your next vacation?!

my fav was definitely the monk and the motorcycle...the hills were nice...and just the idea of a monk and a motorcycle is pretty sweet :)

Wish I had something more constructive to say!

~Deoris
'"Many years ago, when I was young, I saw a fire, and what looked like death-- and beyond that, in the dark places, something...or some One, who knew me. Shall I at last find my way back to that wonderworld of Night?"'

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:26 pm
Gadi. says...

Wow.
That was awesome.

Awesome job.

I liked ALL of them.

Are you from Tibet?
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:36 am
Gwenevire says...

Those are really great! You went to Tibet? Lucky! XD
I love the one with the man chasing the goats! It makes me laugh.
But my favourite is your first one and the guy at the river bank with the motorcycle.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 am
Wolf says...

Wow, those are really cool! You're lucky to have gone to Tibet! :D
My favourites are the first two--so pretty! But as Gwen dearest said, the one with the goat is radical.
Cheers,
Ayra :) :P
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

199 Reviews

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:24 am
smorgishborg says...

Thanks for all the comments, as I've said it was an absolutely incredible experience. I'm not from Tibet, and had little connection to it until I met a counselor at a camp I once attended who was active in various "Free Tibet" movements. A very smart, and honest person. I went on the trip with Where There Be Dragons, a fantastic group which is completely unique, unlike all other summer programs I've ever encountered. I recommend it to all interested.

Someone said they were interested to see other photos.
Anyone interested in the Tibet question should check out Students for a Free Tibet and
Support Team Tibet!

Thats it for me. Thanks for reviewing!

EDIT: Oh, and they're yaks, not goats! :P
- Robert Frost

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said