z

Young Writers Society

Painting of Annie Morgan - NEW/EDITED!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am
Tessitore says...

Just wanted to share the (maybe) finished painting of my main character in the vampire stories, Annie Morgan. This would be a picture of her going to or being at one of the vampire balls which come way later in the stories then the one I'm currently writing. I got the dress out of a bridal magazine (!Oh my!) and it seemed to simply scream "Annie!" at me. Now I want it...

I was doing this painting mainly for theraputic reasons, but I thought to share it anyway.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

I followed some of your suggestions and threw in some of mine. Mixed a lighter flesh tone then usual and went to work. I'll post the steps on the livejournal... when I get around to it...

I also added definition to the hair, and lowered it a bit on the head because she looked like someone straight out of the eighties (still kinda does) with the smaller facial features. Hope you like it!

You can view all of the steps here:

http://delladrago.livejournal.com/2007/10/15/
*******You will need to scroll to the second entry!********

Though you may have to click a bunch of links and that's never fun, but I'm trying to work it out to just be a bunch of pictures one-by-one. It's actually kind of fun to see the entire process, not just the finished product. I went through two other faces to get to that one, though I'm still unsure if I like it or not...
Last edited by Tessitore on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 am
View Likes
Via says...

The body is very good, the dress detail is exceptional. But, is she from the clan that doesn't shave her armpits or is it just a shadow? I would clear that up.

Also I think the eyes, both the outer shape and the eyeball itself, have larger features that needed for the face. It kind of gives her a lopsided appearance.

The dress, though, is awesome!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

103 Reviews

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:06 am
Tessitore says...

Thanks. Yes, that face has been giving me a boatload of trouble. I have not done a painting this SMALL in so long...

Anyway, yeah... I completley forgot to over the shading uner her arms like I did on the arm itself. Woops. Thanks for pointing that out, and for the review. =)
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:11 am
Teague says...

Her hair... :shock: *supresses bad memories of my oh-so-irritating Chemistry teacher*

Nothing on you! Just her hair reminds me of my Chem teacher. xD

Her dress and necklace are really pretty. Very red and sparkly. How long did it take you to do them? Seems tedious. xD

But yeah, the shading under her arm is definitely... odd. Definitely detracts from the whole thing more than anything.

It's purty, though!

-St. Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm
Rydia says...

I love the outfit! Your work with tone is very good in most places (though that shadow under the arm does need some fading out) and I think her necklace and dress are particularly beautiful. Most of the facial features are a little too large and I think the face is a touch orange for a vampire but I love how you've done the hair. Maybe a lighter background if you re-draw her so that it stands out more? Anyway, generally a very pretty picture, good work.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

103 Reviews

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:57 pm
Tessitore says...

kitty15 wrote:Most of the facial features are a little too large and I think the face is a touch orange for a vampire but I love how you've done the hair.

...she's not a vampire.

Her boyfriend is.

But thanks everyone for your suggestions. As soon as I get up the energy to re-do a lot of the features I will be doing so, including a lightening of the background since I want that hair to stand out a little bit more--I still want it to be dark because most of the story takes place... in the dark. o.o
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 pm
Shine says...

You brought out the character pretty well in the picture,nice!

And yeah the outfit is nice.:)
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:01 am
Gadi. says...

Amazing picture.

I looked at all the steps, and I have to say I am flabbergasted. WOW.

The eyes are a bit unrealistic, and the hair should be less empty, you know, with less holes...

The jewlery and dress are amazing...
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:56 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

This was good... her lips seem freakishly large, though. Is she from the Plastic Surgery Planet, or are her parents just kissing fish?

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:29 am
Gadi. says...

Ugh...
I have to say---

The old one was better.

The tan skin fit so much better with the red dress.

And the face didn't improve at all.

Otherwise, I still like it.

(Though the old one was much, much, much better. {This one wasn't that bad. It was excellent. But the other one was AMAZING!!!})
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

103 Reviews

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:43 am
Tessitore says...

EnchantressMuffin wrote:This was good... her lips seem freakishly large, though. Is she from the Plastic Surgery Planet, or are her parents just kissing fish?

:lol: If you can believe it, yes, she has Mick Jager lips. Her mother is Pacific Islander, though her skin and eyes take after her father more. Land of the large... erm... fish kissing people.

The flash from the camera made the skin look SO much paler then it is in person, which I feel the lighter background also contributes to.

Still, I'm now thinking of making the background purple, still dark... because I liked it dark. And shorten the top part of her hair a little more since her skull looks like the eggheads... a little.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:45 pm
Someguy says...

I really like it. The red dress is really good.
Look at my big shiny shell...

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:23 pm
Alteran says...

It looks way cooler now. You did a great job on the skin tone and her hair. Her right eye bothers me a bit, it looks a little to far in.

I like it very much, Way to use the suggestions to your advantage. :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 pm
Ego says...

Wow, Tess. Just wow. You've certainly left me in the dust in the art department. ;)

The brush stroke shading on her arm looks almost to be a mistake--to me, both lines look misplaced. Too low to be deltoid definition, curved the wrong direction to be bicep and tricep definition.

I love the face, especially. So full of character, very expressive.

The folds in the abdomen of her dress look a little overdone, but it's definitely forgivable.

Nothing in this screams FIX ME.

Very nice, Tess--welcome back.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:23 pm
Linden Dante says...

I love this panting it is very well done, I think the dress is beautiful it looks so realistic. I think her right eye is to far in and maybe if you add some color contrast in her eyes it will give her more depth. Other than that it's great. :D

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb