z

Young Writers Society

Character drawings...

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:47 am
KingKamor says...

Just some random drawings based on two characters from my romance story, "Rain."

( 08/06/07: Scroll down to the bottom of this post to find the next two.)

((If you'd like to read the story, you can read it here: viewtopic.php?t=13668&highlight= ))

First drawing of Craig. This is the first-ever rendition of Craig Selva. At the time, he had no last name, no trench coat, and no background story. I drew this almost a year ago, so the concept of "Rain" hadn't yet been established. He's poor, smokes, drinks, etc.

First comic-esque drawing: I drew this as I tried to flesh out the storyline and, frankly, it didn't help me much. I Still don't like the profile drawings of him at the end, and I never will, but I've been working at getting better at those kinds of drawings. Actually, the only frame that I like is the one where he lets out a sigh. All the rest suck, sadly. Oh, and I used my own jacket's sleeve as reference when I drw his arm in the third panel
(( and if you can't read it, it says: "In this city, with it's faceless skyscrapers and endless rain... is where I learned to love this world... That's right, this miserable little world."))

Possible cover idea. I drew this out of bordom, and decided to work on different angles on the paper. This drawing is particularly better than all of the drawings prior, and I'm pretty proud of it. I just wish that my scanner had better quality. By this time, I've already decided to make Craig's trademark the lock of hair sticking up on his head. The girl is Amelia Regenen, a rich girl. More on her in the story.
(I like Craig's shirt, don't you? XD)

New as of 08/06/07

Another idea of a cover/title: I drew this at work on a piece of reciept paper.... I was bored! XD

Chapter 7 building:
I drew this one a few months ago, but only just now applied it to an actual scene and spruced it up so that my scanner could read it. This is from the Friday Night Music scene in chapter seven of Rain.
Last edited by KingKamor on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:27 am
Rydia says...

I think Craig's neck is a little long in the first and his head is a touch small. Also, the arm holding the cigarette is too thin but you've done a great job with the hand and his hair and face are simple but good.

The first pannel isn't bad but he should take the cigarrette out of his mouth before he sighs. That or it should fall out and you could have him frown. The close up of the arm is great, some really good detail there and I like the view of the city at the end.

The characters on the covers look nice but the girl is too stiff and you need more of a background as well as possible ideas for where the title and such will go. I like it though.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

76 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:07 pm
KingKamor says...

Thanks for the feedback, kitty15. I'll be taking notes. =3
"Don't we all."

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

I guess they're alright. I mean, they're better than the stuff I can draw. I drew the characters in one of my stories once, but once I looked at them I was like, "...eww."
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:34 am
Alteran says...

A helpful tip when drawing people is go around with a camera and snap pics. All angles of anyone and everyone. The go back and try and draw the people.

It'll help you learn how the porprtions of a person are set up. I have a sketch/workbook from art class that has all sorts of lessons in it. I'll try and PM some of the portrait section to you if I get a chance.

Not bad, you just need some polishing. :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

76 Reviews

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 am
KingKamor says...

@Dynamo: I'm sure they weren't as bad as my drawings from seventh grade! D>

@Adam: That'd be great! Thanks in advance for the help. I'll try that photograph thing, too.
"Don't we all."

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm
Elizabeth says...

Very Manga-esque :P
I liked it... though I thought Craig was a bit tall, but he reminded me of a Craig I knew who was really tall and thin. Which is a good thing, I like to relate. Makes me feel wanted :P XD

Nice art

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 pm
View Likes
Via says...

The bottom girl is the best, in my opinion. But, all of them have a very "beanstalk" like figure. Everything is so straight and there is a serious lack of body curves on any of them...just seems a little weird. We all have curves (even the skinniest of people) so the characters should as well.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

76 Reviews

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 am
KingKamor says...

@Elizabeth: Yeah, Craig's a really tall guy, so I'm happy that you noticed.

@write me: Thanks for the critique. I'll try to work on peoples' curves.
"Don't we all."

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:49 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Y'know, the first set down to the girl with the umbrella reminds me of Fruits Basket and to be honest, they seem to even follow that same theme, when they are caught in the rain waiting for a bu... and they have umbrellas.

Good though, and I liked how the girl with the umbrella was slanted, so it looked like one of thos pictures that are taken before the person has time to pose. Lovely.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 pm
Stori says...

I think some color wouldn't go wrong. All of your drawings are bleak without it. If that's your intent, feel free to ignore my suggestion :D
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

76 Reviews

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:08 am
KingKamor says...

Lizzy: Fruits Basket? o.O Whatever. XD Thanks for the comment, and yes, I did try to make them look a bit like photographs.

Kyte: Yeah, I don't usually add color because I'm horrible at it. Me being red/green colorblind doesn't help. But I'll try to use color in some of my future drawings. >=D
"Don't we all."

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:56 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

Whoa, that first picture was skinny.

I like the drawing of the girl, her sweater was very pretty and her skirt was nice. Pleats, woot.

Muffin

76 Reviews

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 am
KingKamor says...

EnchantressMuffin wrote:Whoa, that first picture was skinny.

I like the drawing of the girl, her sweater was very pretty and her skirt was nice. Pleats, woot.

Muffin
Wow, I didn't know that people would still commenting on this. Thanks for the comment, and yes, the first one is skinny as all hell. <.< >.>
"Don't we all."

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:58 pm
Someguy says...

Really nice, I love the girl.

The neck was big in the first picture.

The grey. It made it depressing like you said. It always rains in this miserable world.

Loved it :)
Look at my big shiny shell...

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green