z

Young Writers Society

Dan Sanders Photography take 2

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:04 am
sabradan says...

Howdy all. Okay, so I got a new camera, a DSLR. To be specific, a Fujifilm S1 Pro edition, for those who care/know. So I'm still learning how to use it (i.e. diferent settings, change/add filters, etc) so I figured to play around withit, I'd go to the Chicago Botanic Gardens and take some shots. While the pics are of course rather cliche, as every "photographer" in PHOTO I goes there for pics, I think I still wound up with some decent, original pics. Oh, and this batch is in color rahter than B/W. These are some of the better pnes of the day.

As always, comments/critiques are always welcome.

Untitled #1
Untitled #2. Working title: For whom does the [blue] bell toll?
Untitled #3
Untitled #4
The Long and Winding Road.
Note: On this photo, I was trying to go for an "Artistic" style portrait (You know, a "portrait" with a model, but where they aren't necessarily the focal point...this was my first attempt, with my freind Nathan as a model. I'm not sure I'm happy with the result)
Untitled#5
Untitled #6
Untitled #7
Untitled #8
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:05 am
Alteran says...

Hey Sab, Thought I'd have a go at your pics.

1. Colors are nice. It pulls your eye down the center and is very pleasing.

2. A bit iffy. The flower color isn't strong enough to pull out of the greenery so it makes it look a bit dull. I like the off center pic though.

3. My Favorite. The lighting is great and it pulls the eye up to the brighness which is very cheerful and warm.

4. Nice vibrant colors. It stands out nicely and the other flowers out of focus give the background a nice look.

Long winding Road: Hard to see the model from so far away, plus the shadows distract from him as well. As do the other two poeple and the stuff on the right side. The arch needed to be centered, perhaps you a bit closer. Your friend could have moved to either side or even into the sun on the other side of the arch.

5, 7 & 8. Nice. Nother spectacular but all very pretty. Nice shots of flowers.

6. The transition fom pink to the medium shadded Green and the dark green right behind the bloom make a very pleasing pic. Good job.

All in all, Nice pics. Always look for that impossible angle and go for it :D
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Rydia says...

1. The detail here is exquisite and the colours are vibrant and pretty.

2. This one is nice but it's a bit 'wishy washy' and there isn't enough contrast.

3. I love that waterfall and I like how it descends into darkness, creating a great contrast with the sunlight and reflection at the top.

4. The archway is nice but I'm not so sure about the title and your friend doesn't look natural enough. His stance is very clearly a pose and perhaps you should crop it a little so that the arch touches all four borders of the picture.

Out of the other flowers I like eight quite a lot and six is pretty but the others are rather average. Some very good work here though.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:07 pm
Ares says...

These are nice but I like your old B&W ones better.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:50 am
Saphira says...

All the flower ones are fantastic. The colours are obsolutly amzing and the choice of flowers is good. I like how the flowers are in a sharper focus than the background.

The arch picture is good. I like that you have used a mosel though i think that the arch could be more central in the picture.

The waterfall on is fantatsic. It looks very professtional and it is just amazing.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:13 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

Most of these are great, really pretty and colorful. I think I like two, three, and six the best.

You know, it's hard to critique art and photography, because so much of it is in the eye of whoever's doing it... not really something you can criticize because it's all relative. (That's usually why I'm not too critical in this forum... :P)

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:28 am
Lindsaroo says...

These are so beautiful!!

I like the third and the forth one the best. They're very pretty.
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:10 am
Sohini says...

Th efirst four photos are grand, colourful and makes me feel happy *smiles*

the rest are too cliched, I think.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:44 pm
Leja says...

For "The Long and Winding Road", I think it could benefit from being cropped so that the edges of the archway aren't seen, so that it seems a little more endless and a little less real. [EDIT: I also think it might have been helpful if the people past your friend weren't there, if your friend were more towards the front or the back of the archway rather in the middle, and if there were something in the bare grass space past the arch and to the left to sort of "direct" the subject more along the path]

I loved the pictures before this one, but the ones of flowers that follow didn't interest me so much.
Last edited by Leja on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:23 pm
Knurla says...

On your last photo, there's a very odd strip across the bottom. Maybe try cropping it off?

#7 is beautiful, I love the red!

The waterfall is absolutely gorgeous! I like how it's bright at the top, then darker at the bottom. Very nice and relaxing effect.

I like the first one as well, it seems as if the petals are reaching away from the sun. They're all great!

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11