z

Young Writers Society

Black and White Photos

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:45 pm
sabradan says...

Hi! As some of you may know, I am an amateur photographer (I prefer B/W) and I want to eventaully publish a book on photography/of my photos. All of these pics are a couple years old (2-3) and I'm not sure if I've posted them here or not, but I'd appreciate it if people took a look at em and told me what they think. Thanks.

1. This is at Navy Pier in Chicago. It is still untitled.
2. I really like this one. The model is this girl in my class who was really pretty/had beautiful eyes. Again, no title. This is by far my favorite.
3. The Shrine of the Book in Jerusalem. One of my least favorite because its rather "washed out" and the composition is shoddy. Thats what I get for taking a picture while moving. Still untitled. Sensing a trend?
4. Independence Hall on Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv. Again, not my favorite due to the way the film developed on paper (too "Washed out")
5. This one is called "Gates of Hell" at the moment, but I may change it. It is the gate to go into Auschwitz in Poland. It would've been a great pic, if I didn't overdevelop it, and didn't manage to get fingerprints on the negative and accidentally cut a corner off. Overall its not too bad, but it could be a lot better. I am considering to make this part of a series peice to send into an art mag.
6. Probably one of my favorites, although its still too dark. The fences in Aushcwitz-Birkenau, in Poland.
7. Also one of my favorites (at least from that roll) its a Jewish Star my freinds and I made out of special candles Jews light on the memorial of death (Yahrziet candles) Its a little on the dark side, but lighter than the other two.
8. "Chai HaMelech HaMashiach!" (Long live the King Messiah) this was found spray painted on a wall (outside) of a house in the spiritual city of Tzfat (Safed) Israel.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:02 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I think I've seen that fences one before... Have you posted it on YWS?

I think my favourites are the pier (love the angle) and the fences one.

Only thing I'd point out is that the star with the candles looks a little unclear. I don't mean the photo. I'm not really sure... I think it's the way the candles are placed.

Great photos though, and I have to agree, the black and white makes them look pretty amazing. ;)

*claps*
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:10 pm
Via says...

I love the navy pier picture! That's a awesome picture right there...so often the weather is horrible at the pier in Chicago and you can't get a very good picture.

I agree that the star candles are a little off...not quite even or something.

I'm a sucker for black and white photos :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:10 pm
Meshugenah says...

Psch, black and white is the best, bar none.

I'll agree with Kay: the fence is awesome. Perspective just right.

The last one, with the writing ("Chai HaMelech HaMashiach!")? It just strikes me, can't say why (and I'm not art critic, just a lover). Some of these are pretty good, Dan (says the one who doesn't know quite how to work a real camera, let alone develop film).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:29 pm
Emerson says...

The pictures from Poland of Aushcwitz-Birkenau are my favorite... so chilling.

The ferris wheel, I like that one also, it is at a great angle.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

147 Reviews

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:45 pm
sabradan says...

write me wrote:I love the navy pier picture! That's a awesome picture right there...so often the weather is horrible at the pier in Chicago and you can't get a very good picture.

I agree that the star candles are a little off...not quite even or something.

I'm a sucker for black and white photos :D

Yeah, I know, the candles we couldn't get 'em organized perfectly.
The pier, yeah we went down in like April and it was surprisingly good weather. It was rainy the day before and the day after but I got there on a clear day.

Thanks!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

147 Reviews

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

Claudette wrote:The pictures from Poland of Aushcwitz-Birkenau are my favorite... so chilling.

The ferris wheel, I like that one also, it is at a great angle.

Haha, yeah, it was hard for me to get past the rent-a-cops for that one.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:56 pm
Via says...

Wow. Mad props for taking that in April at the Pier.

Chicago is ridiculously rainy in April [I'd compare it to Seattle, honestly]. There can be a five day period where is rains everyday, nonstop. It's ridiculous.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

147 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:01 am
sabradan says...

write me wrote:Wow. Mad props for taking that in April at the Pier.

Chicago is ridiculously rainy in April [I'd compare it to Seattle, honestly]. There can be a five day period where is rains everyday, nonstop. It's ridiculous.

I know. I live in the NW Burbs.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:03 am
Ares says...

I think I saw the fences in your profile on some website a long time ago. I like the coaster, the flag, the eye, and the fences the best...

Nifty stuff.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:11 am
Skye says...

I was just at Navy Pier yesterday - yay Chicago! :D

The fence picture is my favorite by far. Fantastic. I'm loving the black/white thing as well; it really compliments the subjects being photographed.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:00 am
Alteran says...

The pier and the flag are my favorites. Very nice pictures. I'm not much for picture critiques. I think they all look nice.

The Gates to Hell was a little to dark and made it hard to make out what it was at first.

Pictures by Sab are a 10/10 for me. WOOT!
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:09 am
Swires says...

The pier is my favourite, again Ill reiterate that the angle is wonderful and the lighting is excellent.

However I also liked the meaning behind the candles, I thought that was quite emotive.

I disliked the eye, eyes suggest colour to me and Id prefer it to be in colour as opposed to black and white. However thats just personal preference.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:56 am
Elizabeth says...

These are all beautiful photos. I might want to be a photographer someday, and these are really pretty. I like the Ferris Wheel the absolute best though, and it was really great to see the camps... I want to visit them someday... heh.

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:30 pm
emotion_less says...

hey dan! yea i'm not really a professional at photos and i've never taken any classes or anything... but yea. i love taking pictures and i wanted to comment on some of yours.

the first and second- i really, really liked these. i loved the angle of the ferris wheel and the girl's eye is really pretty.

the third one- eh, i don't really like this one that much. the shrine wasn't exactly centered/it didn't seem like you were really going for an artistic shot here. but i know you said the shot was taken hastily so that's most likely why. =)

the fourth- if it wasn't for the background, i think it would have been all right. the background kind of takes away from the flag because of all the things in it and it's seemed accidentally slanted. i don't know if i'm making much sense here... but anyway.

fifth- i liked it. the dark splotches are the fingerprints you mentioned, i'm guessing. otherwise, it's really good. chilling, like someone before me already said.

sixth- haha it seems like all i was going to say was already said by you... but yea a little too dark, but it was good.

seven- i think the angle of it could have been a little more interesting, but, since you were trying to capture the whole star, it would have been hard to do both.

eight- i'm not really sure what to say about this. i want to say the lighting seems kind of awkward, but i don't know if it's the lighting or the wall color.

okay, i'm done now. i hope i don't sound like i'm trying to be all professional because i'm definitely not. if some of my comments don't make sense, ignore them...

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte