z

Young Writers Society

kath(art)ic pain-things

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:01 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Pretty random art stuffs because I can’t write anything at the moment. Also yes, the pun was a stretch (might be cringy too oops) but i’ll probly won’t be able to use that anywhere else so it’s now or never.

And essentially, im here to show my progress towards becoming a digital artist (hopefully i get to that point lol)
P.S. My notes are enspoilered because they are l.o.n.g.

Last edited by kattee on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Spoiler! :

a squirrel painting(?) i did using Lisa Bardot’s fur brushes. they basically have this hairy texture and i found it very fun to play with. not to blow my own horn but i actually like the highlights hahaha and i’m especially proud with painting the eyes because it got closer to realism or had this protruding effect. i’m a literal beginner when it comes to digital painting so it was hard to navigate through procreate (using the most suitable brush, masking, right layer filtering) in order to achieve it so i’m quite satisfied haha.
Last edited by kattee on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want some sweet reviews to your poems, short stories, and essays, come by Katteelogue.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

In search for my own art style, these past two weeks had been dedicated on drawing different art styles from both anime and cartoon. I was more keen on drawing anime art styles rather than cartoon ones so I just chose two of them to share here.

Anime style

Spoiler! :
Starting off with Tendou Shizuku from Kakao 79%. It’s glaringly obvious how I was obsessed on drawing her. It’s not simply because she is the most relatable (although she is my favourite character among all of them in Kakao) but because she became this “eye-opener.” I used to really like shoujo mangas back in 6-8th grade but now I thoroughly loathe it. And, in here, I found out why.

Tendou’s only a semi-main character, but, honestly she’s the most realistic one out of all the characters in that manga (my opinion only). Yet, being a “semi-main” she’s given less less spotlight. Yea, but like I said, having her as my favourite prompt me to focus mainly on scenes with her in it and I start noticing the lack of development. It is extremely infuriating and that’s most likely because the main characters are too prioritised (if you get what I mean). It’s like they don’t manoeuvre around the world but the world does. u g h

That’s probly the main reason why I can never like shoujo (even shounen) main characters; they have this extremely perfect amount of strengths and weaknesses, making them so ideal or close to “perfection”. They’re “flaws” makes them more endearing (to the other characters, not to the reader) rather than coming out as an actual flaw or something she should deal with.

Tendou just deserves better treatment, i guess? And it seemed like the author starts recognising that after around 160 + chapters (she deserves way better but i’ll take what i can get)

Hopefully, I worded it out correctly or everything I said might potentially be over the place. So if you’ve reached this part, then you’re a psycho.

Spoiler! :
Next one’s Kamiyama Aya from Haru Matsu Bokura. To be frank, choosing him among the other ones isn’t that deep. He’s from a shoujo manga as well and is a semi-main character so there’d be less explaining to do (i’m exposing how lazy i am but oh well).

I’m not that attached to this character or liked the manga. Back in 8th grade, I guess I do, but now, it’s probly some nostalgia thing.
Last edited by kattee on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:52 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Cartoon-ish style

Spoiler! :
^^Whilst looking for cartoon art styles, I come across this one in instagram. These were from the drawings of melonkkat(go check her out). Essentially, I chose this one because It’s more of a boundary between anime and cartoon. The artist’s inspiration was from an anime but in terms of style, it has this sketchbook-y or children book feel to it. The texture’s bit rough and less rigid, in contrast to manga style lol

^This style’s from cursed._.doodles (also from instagram). One word: adorable.

Spoiler! :
Disclaimer: I’m not claiming these art as mine and these posts are more of giving my due respect because I wouldn’t grow in my art without this process. I also wanted to share it because not everyone does (which is fine ofc. Not hating them or anything). I want people to become aware that art styles don’t come naturally to a person; it’s through the quality you spend on learning different ones and choosing what you like in it until it forms into something you.

Ok. I’m not gonna attempt to sound inspiring so don’t get yer tissues but I hope it inspires some artists i’m still on the process of getting my art style so if my art is still horrible i honestly don’t know how i could be inspiring to go easy on themselves and to reprogram their thoughts that trying out other people’s art style isn’t cheating. It’s the first stage of learning (as long as you don’t claim the art as your own)
Last edited by kattee on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:50 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

ROUND SHOOKING 1 of attempting my own art style

Spoiler! :

I wanted to check if drawing different art styles actually help me in my progress and it somehow did, I guess? I still don’t have that confidence to actually draw my own character so I once again drew Tendou Shizuku, with a bit of twist and variations. I made her look younger on a whim, with a more defined cheek bone and bigger eyes. It also became a bit cartoon-ish with little details on the hair.

I quite like it?

Also, I tried adding colour it for once, unlike my previous skethces. I’m thoroughly afraid of colouring sketches because I usually ruin them, mainly because I’m new to digital art and I’m still familiarising myself with procreate why do i feel like i said this already but anyway. I don’t want to filter it but: digital art is astronomically different from traditional art. The process are nowhere near each other (or is that because I’m a beginner?)

But anyway, moving on, this is actually my 3rd attempt of colouring the piece and I’ve enspoilered the 1st and 2nd attempt as proof that “just keep trying” is a golden motto. It’s rare to get it on the first try because it’s usually the experimental stage. After numerous attempts, I distinguished what I like and didn’t about the colours and that got me closer and closer to the “finish” (is any artwork truly finish?) piece.

I also played with lighting, trying to understand how bounce light works and I doubt I’ve done it completely correct but I guess I’m getting there.

Spoiler! :

Not gonna lie, I’m having second thoughts about actually posting this because it’s horrid. The shading’s too smooth, making it look so muddy. Then again, without this experience I would realise that I need sharp shadows and highlights (i saw lots of art ytbers say this a lot but it’s harder to apply because when i’m actually painting(?). i can sometimes be put off by the glaring difference between the base tone and the shadows and i couldn’t help myself but blend them oop)

Now this is my 2nd attempt and it’s quite satisfactory. I used this as the foundation of the third attempt and just tweak it a little bit.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:09 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Work in Progress 1.0

My first oc whilst still venturing on my art style i am really trying. This work’s only 50% done since it’s supposed to have a slightly darker overtone (hinted by the backdrop)

Actually 35 percent lol the cardigans barely getting by

I just realised that the eye proportions a bit askew lol 20%

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

Just inserting my illustration for NaPo 2021 cos my NaPo thread will probly get buried after april.
my calligraphy’s improving —i think. i hope

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:56 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

((This isn’t the finished version))

Last edited by kattee on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:05 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

((this is part of the project i’m working on above))

they’re basically snippets

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

a less saturated version of my napo illustration

Spoiler! :
I genuinely prefer this one because it evokes a more serene vibe but I had to make it more orange-y in the original one not only to show a end-of-summer or near autumn scene, but also to appropriate it to the emotion in the poem hopefully it gives off that energy but anywho, without further ado:

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:00 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

((a work in progress))

yes, i still placed my signature because im that paranoid

Have a lovely day❤️

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
KATTEE! I love love love that tiger - the patterning of the strips, and colors and everything are just AHHHHH!! SO GOOD! I especially like how it's following human foot-prints! :D Reminds me of "The Life of Pi"! I also enjoy the movement you're portraying in both the "water splash" pictures.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

81 Reviews

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am
View Likes
kattee says...

Spoiler! :

AHH thank you alliyah!! >.> The Life of Pi never occurred to me when I was drawing/painting this but oh my goodness I love that movie!!

+ water is the most difficult thing to emulate in art AHH SO GLAD U LIKED IT <3 <3

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:13 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

First realistic-ish portrait + Grayscale Values

A work in progress!! I’ve been learning how to paint more realistic portraits for 2 months now. I got ahead of myself when I started digital art last January or February and went on with a more stylised approach (anime to cartoon-ish). I didn’t realise that the best and, paradoxically, easiest way to get better in drawing/painting people is through portrait studies. SamdoesArts probly helped me realise that. This isn’t the best but this is definitely progress!!

Spoiler! :

P.s. yes, it isn’t done but I wanted to paste my sign becos im paranoid

update

6240A1AD-6EAF-416C-92C8-92D8A82D7D5F.jpeg

Clothes are way more detailed. I’m trying to understand grayscale values and how they interact with each other to form 3 dimensional shapes. Yes, there’s no hands as of yet because I found drawing them thoroughly tedious.
Last edited by kattee on Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Have a lovely day❤️

81 Reviews

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:08 pm
View Likes
kattee says...

New and improved stylised work: Exploring Colour theory

I’ve got anotha work in progress!! This is a more stylised drawing where I placed my oc in an abstract landscape so I could experiment with the colour scheme. I’m thinking of alternating between a semi-realistic and a stylised illustration. Semi-realistic orbits more around the little details and the texture of the shading whilst stylisation gives me more freedom to play around with colours and even the lighting here’s quite stylised.
Last edited by kattee on Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Have a lovely day❤️

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream