z

Young Writers Society

Seirre's Scribbles

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 am
View Likes
Chxkra2.O says...

Omg I think I’m inlove with this no lie , this got a trippy art vibe added to it , LOVVEEEELYYYY.

Seirre wrote:Here are a couple random (and slightly odd) sketches of mine.

Mushrooms

Ostrich-Octopus-Kangaroo
[user]chxkra2.Ohttps://linktr.ee/gunjahmami[/user][media]art[/media]

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:30 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Time for an art dump from the past while! The first one is something I did for fun on my own time, the rest are from my art class last year.

pencil crayon

chalk pastel, black and white pencil crayon

oil pastel

regular ol' pencil
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

455 Reviews

Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:39 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Another art dump? I could never >.>

acrylic on a canvas

pastel on black paper (it was a MESS)

pencil (compositional planning for an etching that I never got around to doing, but still sorta groovy in its own right)

acrylic on canvas

Post 1 of 3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

Spoiler! :
planning - acrylic on paper

underpainting (I think this step looks super cool so I'm including it hehe)

half way done - the crows look SICK here

finished product, acrylic on canvas

Post 2 of 3

-- Hank Green

they/them

455 Reviews

Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:57 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

See clay sculpture enspoilered!

Spoiler! :

Most of the art projects from this latest art dump have some pretty intense meanings/intentions - so if you'd like to hear the background story for some of these do feel free to ask! I've got lots to say. But I figured I'd just save that unless anyone expresses interest. ^^

Post 3 of 3

-- Hank Green

they/them

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 pm
View Likes
Zyria says...

I'd be interested in hearing the background stories for some of your pieces asfhasdfkjhasdfkjh. Also may I just say that your art is just trippy. Like how are you so talented :000
She who calls the stars to shine

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:46 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

OMG i love all of these 0.0 May I hear the story behind the crows/scarecrow one? That one is especially epic (the colors! the highlights! the angle! the wings!!) =D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

455 Reviews

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:10 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

@Zyria aww :') thank you!! I've been leaning into trippy art vibes recently and it's a great time.

@Spearmint <3 thank you! The angled perspective was a journey to get right - but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Spoiler! :
I wrote some artist statements for these when I made them, so if the language is a bit stiff/formal compared to how I usually write on this site - that's why xD

The Scarecrow [Intrusive Thoughts]
Intrusive thoughts are thoughts that pop into your head unprompted and unwanted. They can cover a wide variety of topics, but the one thing they have in common is their extremity. A person might be driving, for instance, and suddenly their brain tells them to swerve into the other lane. They don’t want to do this, and they might even know they would never actually act on that thought, but the thought is very persistent nonetheless. This can make driving a lot scarier, especially when your brain keeps repeating it over and over: swerve. swerve. swerve. It's easy to internalize that somewhere in your subconscious, you must actually want to do this and you're a horrible person who cannot be trusted with a car. Even worse, the more you try to fight an intrusive thought, or out-logic it, or disprove it, the stickier it becomes. This can become a horrible feedback loop in which you become fixated on these thoughts, believing if you try hard enough you can make them go away. The reason intrusive thoughts are so tenacious, though, is because they actually represent the exact opposite of what you believe. Your brain buys into the shock factor of the thought because it directly contradicts your moral code.

I wanted this painting to convey the manner in which intrusive thoughts “eat away” at an individual. The crows are attacking the scarecrow as a group, tearing out the scarecrow’s stuffing and consuming it. This shows how the more pervasive the thoughts become, the more the individual begins to lose sight of their actual beliefs, becoming convinced that they are their thoughts. The scarecrow is even lifting some of its stuffing towards the crows, reflecting how intrusive thoughts can become a vicious cycle and how actively trying to make an intrusive thought go away just gives it more ammunition. There is also some irony in the fact that the scarecrow is being eaten by the very thing it is supposed to be scaring away; the crows are functionally the moral opposite of the scarecrow, just like intrusive thoughts directly contradict a person’s morals.

[Okay back to me being less formal xD] In terms of the perspective, lighting, and colour scheme - I really just wanted to make the scene feel very intense, dramatic, and sort of dooming. And then my idea with the crows was to have them descending in an almost tornado or whirlpool-like formation to show how inescapable intrusive thoughts feel. I'm not gonna lie, the colour scheme was a pain in the butt - because of how specific and random the main burgundy-esque colour is, it really doesn't match with much else, apart from other similar shades and tints. So I accidentally forced the colour scheme into being monochromatic <.< but hey, I don't hate it!

The Colourful Shattered Mirror [Internal Identity]
This is one of my favourites in terms of personal meaning! Back to professional-sounding Seirre -

We often place a lot of emphasis on the external aspects of one's identity: external connections, external relationships, external validation, external success, you name it. It can be easy to lose sight of who you actually are - just you, without anyone else in the equation.

In my painting, the colourful and fractured reflection of a person in the mirror represents the version of themself they have learned from other people. The bizarre and unrealistic colours show that this reflection is not natural; it is a mask that has been built up over time, by roles, expectations, stereotypes, and preconceived notions that other people have projected onto them. These colours make the person's image very fun and cheery and easy to look at; in other words, palatable for everybody else.

My dream as I grow older is to learn how to break past the version of myself I've created for other people and get to the "real me" (as cliche as that sounds). In my artwork, the reflection is breaking out from behind the confines of the mirror. The reflected hand that is coming out of the mirror holds the hand of the original person. The subject of this painting has started to connect to themself.

-- Hank Green

they/them

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:35 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ohh that’s fascinating! Thank you for the insights, Seirre! (I have def experienced intrusive thoughts before, although usually I try to distract myself with something else.) The crows also kind of remind me of the raven in Poe’s “The Raven”— mysterious, ominous… And I rather like the monochrome :] Thanks and I look forward to seeing any future art you create! ^^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

455 Reviews

Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:44 am
View Likes
Hijinks says...

It's that time again (Christmas art dump)

work in progress
Spoiler! :

reference photo

finished piece (acrylic on canvas)

Made this for my mom -- it's an old "play fort" we brought to all our three previous houses, but not to our current one. There are a lot of childhood memories connected to it and my mom was really sad to leave it behind (and did a huge photo shoot of it before we left; great for art references!). I like how the painting turned out overall, but I'm not entirelyyy happy with the colours. I think the saturation is too high and harsh on the eyes -- although everyone else says that gives it a dreamlike/memory-like effect that is perfect for the subject. So perhaps I've just been staring at it too long. @_@

-- Hank Green

they/them

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster