Young Writers Society

how about some art

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Introductory Post

Since September for me has been all about the color coordination - and I think that that is certainly a form of art - I thought I'd finally open up one of these threads.

Also there may or may not be ranting or research presented about the difference between darkcyan and teal so stay tuned for that... which I shall consider conceptual art.

I figure it's better to post my avatar edits and doodles and such here rather than spam the people page anyways! I've also been playing with some kind of fun shape poetry lately, so maybe you'll get some of that here too... we'll see...

Anyways, please feel free to comment, critique, or anything else in this thread!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

To get started here's a cute little tree I drew in October, which reminds me that I want to try to inktober this year again...

here's my inktober thread from last year: clubs/2750/forum/76819

Here's a selection of fun avatars I've made...

And here's a painting I did this summer:
not entirely happy about how it turned out - I sort of ran out of patience with the sky and just slapped some colors on it, but I do like how the reflection on the water looks

1227 Reviews

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:30 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

artistic method note:
Spoiler! :
And here's a little art-related project I've been working for a while on...
I considered posting it in my NaPo thread as poetry, but really I think it leans a little further into the art & research side of things. Enjoy - I would consider this a satirical artistic reflection on ultimate truth as it pertains to colors. Feel free to comment if you desire.

A STUDY IN COLOR:
DARK CYAN VERSUS TEAL

written by alliyah

Disclaimer: The following study was done independently by alliyah using all proper procedures and various methods that could be expected for such a study. The views and opinions expressed within this case are those of the author and/or researcher and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other official folks.

INTRODUCTION:
For some time now I've been working on distinguishing the properties of dark cyan from its close relation, teal. This question arises because dark cyan appears to be the ultimate color option from a stand-point of several discernible factors.
1. Clear Visibility (unlike yellow for instance, dark cyan has clear visibility especially when appearing over white or pale backgrounds)
2. Poetic Cadence (consider the line "let me write in dark cyan" versus the alternative line "let me write in squash" - the dual word, three syllable combination is interesting and appealing to the ear)
3. Relative Obscurity (dark cyan is not as common as red, blue, green, yellow making it more exciting because of its obscurity).
4. Visually Pleasing Appearance (the color is visually pleasing to the eye).

However, if the color "dark cyan" is actually the same color as "teal", then "dark cyan" is not the single most ultimate color. This brings me to our research question:

Research Question: Are teal and dark cyan the same color?

METHODOLOGY:
1. Make the colors big with a few variations of cyan and teal to add clarity.
(size 200 font, bold, aligned left)

LIGHT CYAN CYAN DARK CYAN TEAL

2. Draw a line of just dark cyan and teal to see if there is a discernible difference.

^The first half of that line is in dark cyan the second half is in teal.

Now let's make the lines vertical for greater visibility.
Make a line of vertical line color progressions for and easier comparison.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
(white, light cyan, cyan, dark turquoise, dark cyan, teal, black)

Seeing that the first two tests do not offer a real difference, we moved to level 3 & 4.

3. Look up the hexadecimal codes and see if they're different.

DARK CYAN #008B8B TEAL #008080 DARK TURQUOISE #00CED1

Okay, I was getting a bit worried, but here it looks pretty good right? Dark cyan is slightly lighter - and the hex # colors seem to indicate that they're different right? Okay. Sweet. There are observable differences to a very discerning eye. Further research from this site (https://encycolorpedia.com/008080 ) seems to indicate that those two codes mean that Dark Cyan uses just a little bit more blue and green than Teal. Good to know... Not being an expert in how to interpret hexadecimal numbers we'll move to the final test.

4. Upload both colors in paint and make them larger to determine if they are different.

For this test I took a screen shot of both dark cyan text and teal text, then magnified the image, took the paint selection tool and made a circle of "dark cyan", then in the middle I typed the number 5 and changed it to the color "teal".

here are the results:

Ah ha! I am very pleased with these results, as it does appear that one can very clearly see that number in the circle! Those are clearly different colors, I would say it appears that teal is actually slightly darker than dark cyan - which is interesting considering the names. Wonderful and conclusive results here!

CASE FINDINGS:
To a degree of medium-scientific certainty I can say that dark cyan is in fact a discernibly different color than teal. Dark cyan appears to be slightly lighter, and therefore it stands to scientific reasoning is without a doubt the ultimate color of all the colors.

ADDITIONAL FINDINGS:
Although this study did profer the important information that "dark cyan" and "teal" are different, through the course of study I was able to find the disturbing information that "light teal" and "dark teal" do not exist for YWS coding, and further that LIGHT CYAN is a very mysterious and under-utilized color option as well.

SUPPORTING MATERIALS:
Color Expert, @Sheyren comments on the qualities of dark cyan here:
"I vote dark cyan, actually. Clearly the nicest color."

Link to quote

Color Poet, alliyah writes a poem about colors, starting with the ultimate color dark cyan first in the poem, "thoughts in a yws writing jam".
"Here we write in dark cyan,"

Link to poem

As a companion to this study, my poem let me write in dark cyan takes a look at the poetic and emotional implications of the differences between dark cyan and teal.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:45 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

The sketch of the tree looks realistic and great, alliyah! :o
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1227 Reviews

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:39 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Everyone already saw this in the pumpkin carving contest - but I am posting it here too for fun!

----------------

Also did inktober this year and posted about half of my stuff in the inktober ~club~ but I might post or re-do some of the better stuff from that later if I remember. :D

Spoiler! :

1227 Reviews

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Experimental Poetry: February 2019

I have been trying out some experimental poetry lately - it's sort of artsy so I'm posting it here! I would consider all four of these to be poems though some folks might disagree, feel free to let me know what you think about them.

visual poetry "maybe poetry could be"

(posted here if you want to comment or review)

blackout poetry "are there more than answers?"

(did this for the week 6 prompt for Poem a Week with a page taken from "Aristotle Nichomachean Ethics", Bobbs-Merrill Educational Publishing, 1983, page 295 - I somewhat cheated by stealing and pasting a few words from page 291 as well.)

object poetry "senbazuru"

(process note: I wrote Poem 5 from my 2018 NaPo on paper, folded into a paper crane)

word poem "read between the lines"

(process note: I was interested in trying a method of poetry, where you use a repeated phrase to create a larger phrase [I don't know if this has a name - maybe inverted acrostic?]- and thought it'd be interesting if the messages contradicted each other. I'm not entirely happy with the results - but plan on trying again with a different set of words. Did this with Microsoft PowerPoint.)

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:28 am
View Likes
neptune says...

Wow, these are really cool alliyah! I love seeing all of your experimental stuff and I especially like the object poetry & word poem! <3
you can request a review here!
Check out Squills!

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Whoa. These are awesome, alliyah! I like the 'I don't care' 'I loved you' one. That was interesting. I also like the tree drawings you made, they're very cool. Also, the crane is awesome! I can literally, never, ever, ever, make a proper crane. It's always messed up, but whatever. (: :D ;) :) :smt038
*insert quirky signature here*

1227 Reviews

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Shape Poems: April 2019

Going to add my shape poems from NaPo on to this thread to keep everything in one spot; new poems coming soon!

maybe not all questions are profound | roads we should not cross
rather than a standard shape poem this poem is made up of little phrases to create the shape of a chicken which can be read in out of order and still sort of paint a picture of what the poem means. The poem actually I think feels a bit overwhelming presented in this way with the tilted text - but I believe that goes with the content of the poem.

word clouds heavy with synonyms for rain
this poem posted a bit tiny, so it's hard to see some of the phrases, but uses the same technique as the poem above where you don't necessarally have to read it linearly left to right, but can read in a circle or read in clumps or read larger phrases first - I like that some of the words could go with multiple phrases creating different conflicting voices in the poem

broken branches
this poem while read left to right like a standard poem, was able to employ white-space to create pauses almost like line-breaks, the ending "root" section has a very stilted flow in comparison to the first part, which I think works with the flow of content as well.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 pm
Lib says...

Wowwie! These are great, alliyah! Is there a specific site or something they you use to shape them or do you do 'em yourself?

1227 Reviews

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:52 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Thanks Liberty- I find or draw an image outline of what I'd like the poem to be shaped as, put that in background of a PowerPoint slide, type poetic phrases or lines over it to fit picture shape, then delete background picture at the end so I'm just left with the text.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:47 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Ooooh, coooool. I should try that, but I'm afraid I'll mess up, lol

1227 Reviews

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:23 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

September Poetry Art

Okay just made this poem - and really excited about how it turned out.

spiderwebs | spiraling

1227 Reviews

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:59 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

not poetry ... but a fish! for inktober

and Saint Irene -

1227 Reviews

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:41 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

October Poetry Art

for this one I took the words from my first version of i swear i don't miss home and layered them until they made this person - in hindsight I don't think this is the right poem for this technique, but I love the concept, and think it looks pretty neat despite not quite having the poetic meaning I was going for.

^ where will you stay, where will you make your home with original intended background

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles