Young Writers Society

Tales of the Airwaves [NEW DEADLINE]

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 am
Kale says...

Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm
Dreamy says...

Quick question though, is there a specific reason why the participants are not allowed to read the stories beforehand and choose it themselves?

If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Dreamy I want an equal number of writers assigned to each story, and often, professional screenwriters doing adaptations aren't given the choice in what to adapt, they're assigned, so this is practice for the real world. ;)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:01 pm
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Oh? That's not what I thought, I genuinely believed that the screen writers usually just come across a book that they absolutely fall in love with and so adapt it for the screen. Thank you for the info.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:06 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Dreamy

Usually, a producer will read a book that they like and then decide to buy it if they think it will make a good movie, then they'll hire a screenwriter to adapt the material.

I'm not sure what your favorite books are, but for example, in Classic Movie Fans we just watched Gone With the Wind. That started as a book. David O. Selznick was an independent producer who happened to read it and thought it would make a good movie. He bought the rights, hired a screenwriter, and oversaw the production.

That's not always how it goes, of course, but that gets at the gist of it. Screenwriters have more power in the process if they direct as well, but that's a whole different ball game. ;)

-- Walt Disney

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm
IacanusNegraeus says...

I don't want to sound like I am advertising or anything, but this reminds me EXACTLY of one of my business ventures.

In my ambition, I actually established my own (legitimate) production studio that produces original audio-dramas. We have staff writers & editors, and often we all collaborate on certain projects. In addition to such, our writers each have their own shows that they are writing. To give you an idea, if any of you are familiar with old time classic radio from the 40s and 50s, it's like that. My show is, actually, an anthology series called "Tales From the Golden Age". I take old scripts from shows like "Suspense" and "The Whistler", and update them to fit a more modern setting, to be more plebeian-friendly.

We also function like a litmag, and at certain times throughout the year, we encourage people to submit their own scripts. We, in turn, produce the best ones. It's a really fun niche, I think, and I'm glad that we've actually managed to be so successful at getting it started. I'm not joking when I say that it looks good on a resume. At least one person from on here is on our writing staff, or, at least, was at one point. I'm not going to name her though :P

My partners and I are currently in the midst of securing our copyright, which we're excited about. We're also reaching out to potential donors, on the grounds that this would help encourage literacy as well as the exposure to a great new method of storytelling. It's an exciting time for us. I'm just saying all of this because it makes me so glad that we're not the only ones with this goal, others being those who envisioned this brilliant endeavor here on YWS.

Still, I think that podcasts, particularly audio dramas, are a really under-represented form of media, and I hope to do what I can to reinvigorate an interest into what I think is a fantastic storytelling medium.

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

Wow . . .that is cool.
I'm winning at life!

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

I would love to be a script writer someday . . .I guess I'd make a good one from what you guys have seen of me-(Playing around with that one)
I'm winning at life!

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 pm
IacanusNegraeus says...

Katnes wrote:Wow . . .that is cool.

That in reference to the one I helped establish or YWS?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:36 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

@Katnes -- You should come to the workshop/general festivities/try out for a part! I played Hamlet and a few other characters back when we had our Shakespeare Radio Festival, and it was loads of fun getting to put on a production with @Rosendorn, @LadySpark, @Kyllorac, and so many others! My bet is that this will be even more fun. ;)
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 am
Elinor says...

Hey all,

The deadline for this is May 14th, which is two weeks from Monday, so I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? How's the writing going? Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything from me!

Spoiler! :

@corvidconvalescence
@LittleLee
@Ventomology
@OniiChan
@123pinkrose
@snowmonkey9
@Sujana
@hexglass
@Sheyren
@ellasnotebook

-- Walt Disney

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:00 am
LittleLee says...

So I've written it out halfway, but umm.... Could I get the story again? Because I cleared my inbox, and forgot to keep this...
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:38 pm
Ventomology says...

Real life is a bit more hectic than I predicted it would be. I'm not 100% sure I'll even finish anything. Sorry!
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:41 pm
Elinor says...

Ventomology wrote:Real life is a bit more hectic than I predicted it would be. I'm not 100% sure I'll even finish anything. Sorry!

I believe in you. Depending on how everything is going, we can easily extend the deadline. You still have two weeks, but let me know if there's any way I can help in the meantime!

-- Walt Disney

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb