z

Young Writers Society

Webcomic artists wanted

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:42 pm
Europa says...

Hello there. I'm a avid writer who normally haunts the Storybook forum here at YWS, and now lo and behold I come to infest the creativity corner! As you may have guessed from the title, I wanted to adapt a Storybook into a webcomic, but I have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever. Hopefully, one of you amazingly talented people will be interested.

what's the story?

Heroes of the Shadows is a high action supernatural thriller themed around the bond of family, the consequences of abusing power, and the true meaning of heroism. It mainly chronicles the adventures of five supernatural children, Kirsten, Scarlett, Echo, Astral, Carlos, and Leon who with the help of two normal soldiers, Tybalt and Mattew, are the results of a failed experiment that tried to create superhumans, as they try to find their place in a world that rejected them while also contending with E.A.G.L.E, the government foundation responsible for the project who will stop at nothing the recapture the rogue failures, Blak, a malevolent entity determined to end the rest of the world, and most of all, the roaring conflicts within their own group and themselves.

(I would personally rate it 14 and older for blood, violence, brief mild language, and some disturbing/frightening scenes that may be unfit for children.)
for more information, here's the link to the SB.

https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?t=103948&view=unread#unread

Any special requirements?

I would prefer that the comic be drawn in a manga or realistic cartoon style, and since there are characters that are anthropromorphic in the story, should have at least a little experience drawing non-human subjects. Heroes has a lot of scenes where there's a lot of action and/or emotional moments, so it would be easiest if you were able to draw characters in dynamic poses and could draw a wide array of facial expressions. I'd especially like for a candidate to have a bit of experience drawing comics.

What's the process?

The audition process is quite simple. The only thing you will need beforehand is a portfolio of your best work.

Process

1.Present portfolio pieces. You can either post them on your wall and tag me, or PM them to me.

2. An interview. I'll PM you with a series of questions, and you PM me your answers. Pretty simple.

3. Cold Sketch. I will give you a series of prompts to choose from. You pick two, and draw two pieces based on those prompts. You can PM them to me or tag me in a wall post.

The pieces done for this audition will ONLY be accepted by those two means. I want to keep auditions as private as possible.

What is the criteria for portfolios?
I'm not picky when it comes to what you put in. The only requirement is that it should contain at least five pieces of your original art.

Any advice?
I strongly suggest anyone interested read at least part of the Storybook. This will help you in the audition greatly. Especially when it comes down to the cold sketch.

And that, my friends, is all.

45 Reviews

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:52 am
Europa says...

Alright! Recruiting is now closed. @NympheaLily @haredrier @Samk642 I know you all are definitely in. @DreamingForever, post here if you decided whether or not you decided to participate. The first stage will be Interviews, so keep your eyes peeled for PMs. Also, I will post here when we move from one stage to the next, and I'll also announce who gets the slot when all is said and done in this thread. (I may choose more than one artist) So be sure to subscribe to this page for updates. Good luck!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 pm
Amabilia says...

@TheFantasy14 I don't think I'll be able to do it sorry.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:45 pm
Featherstone says...

I would, but I don't think my artistic ability is strong enough :(. If there is anything else you need done (particularly if there are animals- I am better at those than anything else) feel free to ask me, though I can't guarantee amazing work or anything
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

45 Reviews

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:11 pm
Europa says...

@DreamingForever that's alright. Thanks for your interest!

45 Reviews

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:25 am
Europa says...

@featherstone9086 I'll have my people call your people. And by that I mean I'm glad to have you and keep on the lookout for the first interview question I'll be PMing tonight.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:27 am
Featherstone says...

...I don't exactly have people...one of the reasons I can't...I might if I had a better drawing ability, but yeah...I just do stuff on my own
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

45 Reviews

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 am
Europa says...

Oh. May have misread your message. Sorry. I did see some of your artwork and its really good! Even if you don't want to try for this, I'll definitely look out for new artwork from you!

45 Reviews

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 pm
Europa says...

@NympheaLily and @Samk642 that concludes the interview. We'll be starting wit portfolios now. I'd like for there to be five or more pieces that you;ve already drawn. @NympheaLily, I've seen the ones you drew for me, but would you mind giving me a few that you've drawn before? Portfolios should have at least fie pieces. After Friday, you'll both have a week to put together the portfolio and get it up for me to see. Good luck!

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White