Young Writers Society

mage's magical art

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

While I'm still getting over the shock of both this thread and my commissions thread being mentioned in the newest edition of Squills (Thank you so much, @megsug for the compliment and just bringing them up in the first place! ^_^), here's the banner and avatar I made for SNA (short for Schadel's Necromancy Agency), my club for my book The Case of Schadel H. Kueper! ^_^ Both don't have much to do with the book.

mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:29 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Since I actually owe you a few reviews, but not quite ready to review more stories.

Art crits:
Spoiler! :

White text works wonderfully on the green, but the green text on the nebula blends too well, and then the final bit of white text is too near a bunch of light colors.

I assume you took the facebook logo girl from the internet because I would imagine you would personally put mage something or other logos on her otherwise. So mentioning your photoshop skills, The background is made up of bright cheerful colors and balances well with the characters shades. So good choice.

Hm, the banner "Schadel's Necromancy Agency" blends in too much with the background, can you outline the letters with something?

A simple drawing that looks like it was made in marker, then cut, scanned, and pasted over a color edited star field. It works quite well, I can see the pixels from what looks like your attempts to clean the edges, but it makes it looks more like it was cut out of a real piece of paper, which I like, even if it was not intended.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thank you so much, @Zolen! ^_^ Seeing a critique from you really made my day - I love your art. <3

Spoiler! :
One of my biggest problems is something you pointed out - I don't want the words to stick out color-wise but that sometimes means they blend in.

I don't actually use Photoshop. I wish I could, but I don't have the software and don't know where to even begin. ^^" My edits are done with two apps on my phone - Pixlr (for the text, like with the banners) and Multi Layer (for layering images, like with the avatars).

For the banner for Schadel, I could redo the lettering and try to make them a different color or use a different font! ^_^

I wish I was the one who cut that image out, but I found it - like all of the other things here - on the internet. I did notice that, though, when I was picking it. I didn't think of it the way you did, but I like your view on it even better! ^_^

Once again, thank you so much for the critque! ^_^
mage

queer and here.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Gimp is a exact-o-knife of a program with most of the same tools photoshop has, where it falls short, you can use inkscape for.

Both are free.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:59 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

Cause I'm a creepy lurker, I want to jump in this conversation and say that Paint Tool Sai works well, too, but it doesn't have a text function.

@Mage Sic Pics! I like the ghost one... He's cute. :D

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I haven't posted in here in ages...Well, for now, here's a commission I made for @KaiRyu! ^_^

mage

queer and here.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

These are awesome, @jaybird!!
*insert quirky signature here*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Time to update this thread for the first time since 2016! I'm not sure who this girl is or if I'll ever draw her again, but she was someone I doodled when listening to The White Vault yesterday. According to my brother, she's the living embodiment of the bi flag - which was accidental, right up until I realized what the combination of blue, purple and pink reminded me of.

mage

queer and here.

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:29 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

That's so good Mage! The way her hair fades from pink to purple is really pretty <3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@whatchamacallit, thank you! I had a lot of fun coloring her hair in. <3

Also, here's a little art dump from the past few weeks - I've been meaning to post my art in here, but I keep forgetting.

Here's some fanart of Simon Hall from The White Vault! He doesn't have a canon description, so I took some artistic liberties with his appearance. I lowkey get Tom Holland vibes from him.

More fanart! This time it's Bag Girl from the City of Blank webcomic. It was originally a Draw In Your Style (DIYS) challenge, but I decided to draw to try drawing her in a slightly different pose.

This is an original character who owes her existence to a splash of water on a rock. Her name is Arlene, she likes puns, and she's tied to Cancer constellation in a way I haven't exactly figured out yet.

I ended up drawing some vent art two days ago after binging a webcomic about fairy tales, so here's a drawing of a girl in a tower. I'll leave the rest of it up to interpretation!

Last, but certainly not least, here's some fanart of my favorite aroace girl Georgia Warr! She's from Alice Oseman's Loveless, which I just spent a good chunk of my day binging. I'm really proud of how she turned out.
mage

queer and here.

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott