z

Young Writers Society

Child's Play - Cover art & Character sketches

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 am
crossroads says...

Hello.

I'm taking my steps towards being rightfully called a professional, and I would really like to build up my portfolio a bit (the one that will go onto my website and CV and so on eventually) -- and for that, I need to actually have some works, so I figured to open myself up to commissions.

I make cover art (traditional or e-book formats) and I can do character sketches. If you'd like me to make some for you, please request below, and make sure you've provided me with everything required.

Covers
If you want your cover made, the first thing you need to tell me is if you want an e-book cover or a traditional cover. The latter means you get a front, spine and back. The former means only front.

When that's out of the way, answer me these:
    What is the title of the book?
    What is the author's name?
    What is the genre of the book?
    What are some main motifs you want to see on the cover (max 5)?
    What kind of colour palette do you imagine?
    Anything else?

(Only for traditional covers) What is the book's wordcount?
    (Only for traditional covers) What is the book's blurb/What do you want written on the back?

If you're about to [self-]publish and the requirements say that your book needs anything else on the cover, tell me.

Character sketches
First things first, when I say character sketches I mean character sketches. Although I try to be detailed enough, they will be in black and white and have a sketch feeling to them. Also, for now I'll only be doing portraits, so no full-body drawings, sorry.

Here's what I need:
    Gender/Sex: (also note here if they're, for example, "an old man with soft feminine features" or whatever combination have you)
    Race: (if someone's of mixed race, specify; you'd be surprised how many times I'd had people tell me only as much as if there's only one possible "mixed race" out there)
    Face shape: (here is one of many handy charts available at a quick google search. Choose the closest one and add description if needed)
    Nose shape: (chart)
    Eye shape: (include the distance between the eyes and from the nose)
    Eyebrows shape and expression: (thick/thin, kept/unkept, square/round/etc, frowning/raised/etc)
    Lip shape: (include lip size and any other description you deem necessary)
    Hair: (details, please)
    Facial hair: (if any)
    References: (if any)
    Other: (scars, beauty marks, makeup, whatever)

Allow for a few days before prompting me to work faster; I'm more busy with life and stuff than I'd like, sadly, and even when I'm not I don't always have the strength to be creative.
^

I'll be filling the space between the requests with my work, as soon as I transfer it between my various devices and finish a couple of concepts :mrgreen:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 am
wakarimasen says...

Hi! May I ask how much you'd be charging for commissions? I have a front cover design that I want to work with, but I'm a little stuck on what to do with the back and spine when the time comes....

Good luck! :)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 am
View Likes
Rook says...

I REALLY like your work, so I'm going to be snatching this up quickly. Also I have a new novel idea as of like, two days ago, and I'm sorta at the obsessing about it even though I haven't even titled it with a working title yet point. Also, it'll be steampunk and I know you're amazing at that sort of tone in your drawings!
It has two MCs, whose POVs it'll be switching from in the chapters, so if it's not too much, I'd like to ask for two character sketches (but if it is too much, just draw whichever you feel most inclined to). Don't worry about timing. I am a patient person, for reals.

Lennox Gray
Gender/Sex: Male 18ish
Race: white
Face shape: Inverted triangle maybe? Sharp chin for sure.
Nose shape: maybe medium perky (tbh i haven't given much thought to this)
Eye shape: thin eyes, an average distance between them, maybe a little closer to the nose than usual.
Eyebrows shape and expression: maybe looking like they got zapped off recently? and mischievous
Lip shape: just average lips, but if he could have like a lopsided smile, that would be nice
Hair: Mussed dark hair that goes an inch or so past the ears
Facial hair: you know that scruffy beard that teens who can't grow beards yet are proud of even though it's really cringy? Yeah, that. Patchy. hehe!
References: none. I don't have any concrete image in my mind about what these characters look like, so whatever you come up with will be perfect!
Other: he's an inventor, so a little grime about his face would be nice. If you're feeling up to adding a little extra, some steam-punky goggles on his head would fit nicely c:
--
Ivy Blackwell
Gender/Sex: female, 19ish
Race: Indian, I suppose. (this is taking place in a fantasy land, so race isn't all that crucial to me. I would like her to have a bit darker complexion than Lennox, though!)
Face shape: oval
Nose shape: tall and dainty, I guess
Eye shape: roundish almond maybe, a little bit wide and a little far from the nose. eyelashes like, pretty thick for being natural, but not unnaturally so.
Eyebrows shape and expression: thin, arched
Lip shape: average size, maybe a hint of a smile on there?
Hair: dark, in a braid off to one side, could be a pretty messy braid
Facial hair: none
References: none
Other: can't think of anything! Although she's a florist so again, if you /want/ to add anything extra, a couple flowers in her hair would fit <3

uh, your payment will be my undying love and gratitude <3
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

*Drops from ceiling* Hiya! I need a characer interview done, if you please!

I don't quite know how much I need to pay, but whenever you have the time, (if it's free, I'm a cheapskate. XD) if you could do this one, that would be fantabulous! :D

Julia Vadik:

Gender/sex: Female,
Race: African American,
Face Shape: Round,
Nose shape: Button, (though perhaps the nostrils are a slight bit less defined)
Eye shape: Round. They're about the average distance from the nose, and her eyes are about the normal distance away from each other.
Eyebrows: They're normal, I would think, not plucked, and their set in an arch-ish(?) sort of way. Like she's smiling.
Lips shape: Thin upper lip, here's a link to see what I mean: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=li ... ajaxhist=0

Hair: Wild, curly, black, her hair's even more curly than most, it goes down to about mid-waist. Her bangs are mostly parted to the right, though she has a slight bit on her left side. The bangs are more grown out.

Facial hair: None,
References: I'm afraid I have none. Sorry,
Other: She has dimples when she smiles.

Again, thank you so much for doing all this. You're an awesome drawer, and I'm sorry that I can't pay you. Even if you can't do mine, thank you so much for posting something for the others! :D

-Cups :pirate3:
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

117 Reviews

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:36 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

I'm not calling myself a proper professional YET, so no worries about what I charge. Instead of paying me, just go welcome ten people to the site, or review five Green Room works, or join a Storybook or answer a few questions in Resources ;)

I'll be travelling the next two days, and then play a nice girlfriend for my boyfriend's birthday, but I think you can safely expect me to do the things you requested by the end of the week.
- they/them -

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 am
Rosendorn says...

Mmm... Let's see what my description is like. I haven't had a cover made for Cat Steps for awhile.

Traditional please.

What is the title of the book?
Cat Steps

What is the author's name?
A. R. White

What is the genre of the book?
Fantasy

What are some main motifs you want to see on the cover (max 5)?
Mughal India/Persian architecture, cats, secrecy

What kind of colour palette do you imagine?
Deep tones. Blood, ruby, midnight, indigo. I actually don't care what the colours are so long as you avoid green, orange, or anything overly bright except maybe for some twinkle. I'm also not terribly fond of black unless it's a particularly deep shadow.

Anything else?
This is a story of justice, vengeance, and autonomy. Most of the games played are mental, you're just as likely to die from poison as you are a blade, and magic is everywhere. Like, fairly literally everywhere.

(Only for traditional covers) What is the book's wordcount?
Ballparking for around 90k

(Only for traditional covers) What is the book's blurb/What do you want written on the back?

Kerani’s sole purpose has always been ensuring the survival of her bloodline, through murder and through marriage, until assassinations in the cracks of society threaten to burst into the heart of the empire. With a husband beckoning for a politically savvy wife fitting for an Empire Raj, her father demanding a dutiful daughter to speak only when she is spoken to, and a heart raging for justice towards the forgotten, she has a choice— give up her blades and play political games within her own palace, or jump into the heat of battle no matter how far away from home that takes her.

Raised with the heart of a queen, knowing all too well how many will die along every path available, she has sworn to protect her people. But first, she must decide what cost she is willing to pay.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

117 Reviews

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 pm
crossroads says...

Oh. Wow.
Don't ask me how my mind works, because you don't want to know, but I've literally and honestly forgotten that I'd ever posted this thread.

Give me a few days to reconnect with my own brain, and start uni, please, and then I promise I'll get back to you all. And poke me 'cause wow I didn't have anything disappear from my mind like that in years.
- they/them -

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:08 am
Kingly342 says...

What is the title of the book? Ara'theia (in capitals if possible)
What is the author's name? TJ MAXWELL
What is the genre of the book? High fantasy/Steampunk
What are some main motifs you want to see on the cover (max 5)? Some typical medieval style heraldry, but with two crossed Lee Enfield rifles behind it.
What kind of color palette do you imagine? A yellow-white striped background.
Anything else? A knight's helm (full-face) in the centre (so it'd be (from forward to back) knight's helm -> heraldry -> crossed rifles).

I probably asked for you to do alot of work on the cover (I'm not sure, I don't do this kind of work myself) but if you do get it done I'd be thankful.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 pm
Charm says...

Hey! I'm really looking forward to this!

Gender/Sex: he's a teenage boy
Race: he's Caucasian
Face shape: rectangle?
Nose shape: medium refined
Eye shape: roundish almond and the distance is normal. also they're blue.
Spoiler! :

Eyebrows shape and expression: pretty much the male version of tumblr eyebrows but that are a little messy because all his hair is messy.
Lip shape: normal sized lips. i don't really have a clear image in my mind of his lips.
Hair: his hair is golden and wide curls (not super coiled or anything). he has it short on the sides and kind of piled on the top of his head.
Spoiler! :

Thanks! If you're curious his name is Westcott.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:21 pm
sweetrapturedlight says...

If you don't mind, could you do mine as well?

Gender/Sex: Male
Race: White and very pale
Face shape: Diamond
Nose shape: (Small) Bulb
Eye shape: Round, spaced evenly from each other and his nose. His eyes are dark brown.
Eyebrows shape and expression: Thin, kept, round, one raised
Lip shape: Average lip size
Hair: Medium length and pale brown, hanging around his face, but not going that much past his ears. He usually has a few bangs in his eyes.
Facial hair: N/A
References: N/A
Other: Wears medium sized rectangle glasses that magnify his eyes slightly.
Thanks!

117 Reviews

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:55 pm
crossroads says...

Oh dear. Okay.

I'm going to catch up on all the requests posted in here so far, as soon as I manage. Until I do, however, please consider this thread closed to further requests.
- they/them -

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix