z

Young Writers Society

Holy's "doodle a day" spot

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:19 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I decided I don't draw enough SO I'm going to try to do a drawing a day. They probably won't be perfect, I'll probably hate a LOT of them, but it's good practice and fun. Also, feel free to critique!

Here's the first:

Not sure how I feel about this. I was listening to Paul Brant whilst I drew this; I don't think that had any obvious impact on it. XP
100% autistic

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:35 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

It seems like something you'd find on the cover of an old novel for children.

Something like Where the Sidewalk Ends, or one of the many covers Quentin Blake did for Roald Dahl
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

494 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:45 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

@Gringoamericano, I was sort of thinking about the elephants from "the Elephant Alphabet Book" and the creatures from "Where the Wild Things Are"- two books that I grew up with! I'm going to look up those that you've mentioned though, 'cause now I'm interested.

Here's some of the pictures from those books I mentioned in case you're curious:

Spoiler! :

100% autistic

494 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I had originally drawn a cartoon rabbit for today, but it was really boring and I didn't like it. I tried uploading it as an attachment from my ipod but alas, the file was too big so you were spared the boringness of it all. Anyway, then I drew this because I've been wanting to draw feet a lot lately. XP

(I can't help but feel it needs more though)
100% autistic

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:33 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

You have a great style. They really do look like childrens' book illustrations. Draw the Loch Ness monster!

494 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:36 pm
Holysocks says...

@Prokaryote, thanks! I like the idea of drawing the Loch Ness monster now! ^_^
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

494 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:39 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I wasn't going to use this picture because I wasn't planning it as a drawing for this... it was just for fun and sort of as practice because I want to be able to draw realistic people, but it's late and stuff so here it issss:

Started out drawing a portrait of Drew Barrymore...
Spoiler! :

But then I stopped because I got excited that it was looking less cartoony and did my own thing. XP
100% autistic

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:49 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Hey,

I really like this last portrait, but if you want to go less cartoony, then really push your shading. When you're shading something, do light strokes and build up on them, so never really push too hard until you REALLY want to get something dark.

Look at the image you have there, and see how far in the shadow goes on the cheek. You should be able to shadow that far in on your own drawing as well. The more you push shadows and highlights, the less cartoony it's going to look.

If you have a highlight that's near a line, make whatever's on the OTHER side of that line a low light, so like, if the background is on the highlight side, then make the background dark. Conversely, if the background is on the shadow side, make the background LIGHT, this will help balance out the image AND erase your lines. After all, we don't walk around outlined, so your entire drawing should be shadowed to hide those lines with highlights and shadows.

Oh, and your lips and nose are too small.

494 Reviews

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:56 am
Holysocks says...

Ooh, thanks for the advice, @Aley! ^_^
100% autistic

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:34 am
bellathebookworm says...

I love your drawings! The style is really interesting.

494 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:10 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Thanks @bellathebookworm!

...this illustrates my state of mind right now pretty well XP I wanted to do something really cool and fun but nothing was working, so he happened. SO original, I know. *sarcasm warning* :P
100% autistic

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:55 am
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

Regarding @Aley's advice on shading, here's a sort of trick for you to make it somewhat easier: squint. For some reason, when you squint, you can see the shadows better, then you can try copying that onto paper.
Not anymore.

494 Reviews

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 pm
Holysocks says...

Thanks for the tip, @EscaSkye! I'll give that a try sometime. I don't really have trouble seeing where I need to shade - I don't think - but on faces I tend to either do an incredibly sloppy job or a hardly shaded job. I think I need to learn to be a little more patient with my art! Anyway, I'm going to try the squinting thing! XP

Also, just so people aren't like "D: SHE QUIT!!!" I was just going to say that I think I'll post a bunch of pictures after a few days, because posting daily adds to my reviews and I don't like that because it makes my reviewing number feel fake.
100% autistic

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:22 am
Sonder says...

Yay art! I love what you have so far and look forward to your future posts! :3
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher