z

Young Writers Society

Steam's Story Art

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:11 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

To be honest, this was a kind of spur-of-the-moment decision. I've been doing a lot of digital art stuff since I installed GIMP and whilst I'm not the best, I've improved a lot now I've learnt how to properly utilise the brushes and layers and put on cool effects.

So, rather than cluttering up my wall with my art, I thought I'd create an actual thread for this! Everything I draw is story-related because writing is my life <3 and many of these stories will never see the light of day, but I'll put them here anyway. Enjoy! (... or most likely not...)
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

359 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

This is Lili, the protagonist of my most recent novel. Most of this was a mix of different bits of art - some of the outline came from an earlier, abandoned fanart originally for a friend's novel, and the background is one I made earlier (I'll put the background in a later post)

There's some limited shading here because I'm struggling to get the opacity of the layers right. Lili's freckles should really be a lot more prominent, but again I had a bit of a transparency issue.

lili.png

359 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

This one doesn't have a name - just "Project B". It's a landscape drawing of the kind of world in which my story is set (hence why it's in the background of Lili's picture)

I'm actually really happy with this one. The colours are a bit paler than I would have liked, but I managed to get the sky texture to my satisfaction and if there was a bit more contrast on the ice, I feel like that texture's OK too.

Project B.png

207 Reviews

Reviews: 207
Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 pm
Rin321 says...

What site/ program did you use?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I am a funtastic awesome writer-
what are you?

You are an awesome writer as well-that is what you are

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

359 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:21 pm
steampowered says...

@CHRISSY321 Just GIMP. It's free software if you want to download it, and it's pretty intuitive (although I had come to GIMP from Inkscape so I had an understanding of the layers etc.)

359 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:32 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

Well, this picture eventually uploaded - I think it was a bit too big. :(

Unlike the previous two pictures, this one is hand-drawn and uploaded to the computer via a scanner. This is a character from one of my older stories, drawn a couple of years ago, and I remember this drawing because I really struggled with the shading.

drawing.png

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

That last drawing is beautiful and detailed! You have so much artistic talent, keep on posting on here <3 I have subscribed so I'm expecting more ;)

Spoiler! :
you have it. this is my 1000 post on yws c: you're welcome xD
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

359 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:07 pm
steampowered says...

Not actually story art, but a thing I made for the YWS Appreciation club (it's a transparent image, in case you were wondering about the weird border)

359 Reviews

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:44 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

This one's a step-by-step process I finished just now. It's a drawing of one of my yet-to-be-introduced novel characters, and I decided I was going to do it in a Japanese-manga style of drawing.

Step 1
Spoiler! :
step 1.png

I like to do an outline on GIMP before I start drawing so I have a framework. Note the weird little offshoot coming out of the character's shoulder - it was originally going to be a wing, but I couldn't get it to look right so I missed it out of the final picture. The outline's in red so it helps it stand out when I draw the final outline in black.

Step 2
Spoiler! :
step 2.png

Well... this was actually a number of different steps which I forgot to record. The hair doesn't have an outline as you can see - I made that on a different layer and used GIMP's smear tool to give it a wispy appearance. Because I didn't want the hair to be solid white I put a few yellowish streaks in it and blurred it the best I could. The eyes were a bit rushed but I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out.

Step 3 (the finished thing!)
Spoiler! :
step 3.png

Added in the background you can see in Lili's picture and in the later post, then hid the outline. It's not perfect as you can probably see, but I saved the GIMP file so I might go back and edit a copy.

And the whole thing took me 20-30 minutes, so it was a pretty quick drawing. :D

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear