683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:05 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

Hiya, this is my first picture, just click here below:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/images/emma1.jpg

Description:

I have always been a fan of manga and thought of drawing her. I got the hat from my Avator. Please send me your comments! I worked really hard on this one. But not as hard as the next one!

This is my second one:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/images/emma2.jpg

Description:

I did this picture two months ago and thought of showing you on here. I worked on it for hours (mostly on the hands!). as in my last description please give me your comments.

Last but not the last, my third one:

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/images/emma3.jpg

Description:

I rushed this one because I had to go shopping. Though I do think I done well in drawing this. So I hope you like it. And send your comments!

This has all been drawn by freehand. So thats why it looks kinda bad. I coloured it in pencil. As Im only 13 and dont realy know how to paint (though I can still be good at it) that well (and my mouse jumps).

I have been dying to show all of these. If you ever want to see more then just ask. I think my art work is better than my writing! As you see I have put my signature (cant spell) at the bottom and copyright. So you cant copy it! And if you try please dont. I like to see my work admired, not copied. I love you lots!

If you print it out, it will cover most of a A4 page. Printing it out will let you see my whole picture in one look.
Last edited by Emma on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:26 pm
View Likes
Green Monkey says...

Ummm.... I guess they're good... I can see slight drawing talent in them. Perhaps I should send in artwork. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:29 pm
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Mondo cool-age. I wish I had a scanner. i liked it. But to me i kinda cried, it wasn't like... OMG WOW but it was like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAILORIU MOONAYE!!!

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:43 pm
View Likes
Skye says...

These are pretty good! I think you are awesome at faces and hair (especially hair!) but could use a little more work on bodies and lips and such. But they show tons of promise! My fave would definitely be the second, but the first and second have cool hair! ^.^

WARNING: This review comes from someone who can't even draw an ice cube, so you can pretty much disregard everything I have to say in the art department.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

683 Reviews

Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:40 am
View Likes
Emma says...

Thanx.
Why cant I be 17?
Maybe you'd like them more.....

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:54 pm
View Likes
nickelpickle says...

I like them. The second one was pretty good, and there was more deatil. The bodies are not really all that defined, but that's okay. Work some more and you have the chance to be an exceptional artist as well as a writer. By the way, you really ought to stop using the fact that you are just thirteen as an excuse for everything. I am fourteen as are many others on the site. Quite a few people are your age or younger. When people tell you that you can do better, take it as a complient, not an isult and don't try to defend yourself by saying how young you are.

Nicole

683 Reviews

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:53 am
View Likes
Emma says...

Nicole... it says that you're 16.

And yes Im not to good on the bodies. I find it easier doing the heads. And the hair...
The hands are hard too! So normally in my pictures I try and hide them!

Well thanx for saying you liked my pictures. When its close up you can see all the mistakes I made! I think it I tidy it up more, it will look nicer.

P.s
All the pictures I've drawn is from manga/amine drawings and my way of drawings. That's why it looks that way. If you want I can show you a couple of comic strips I done.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:05 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

Do you learn art at school? Or even out of school? Because the people are wonderfully in proportion (no legs twice as long as the other leg, and the heads seem the right size etc.) and the composition is good too. What I like about the composition is that the action is evenly spaced, there's no patches that look over crowded and others that look empty. You don't draw knees and elbows in bends like there isn't any bone (my pet peeve) which I have seen people your age do.
To improve: Try to draw using long, confident lines rather than faint sketchy ones (trust me). And why don't you try some different shaded backgrounds, like a diagonal shading from light to dark. Just for fun. Also, have you heard of basic shapes? Also, did you say you had troble with hands? Sketch you r hand, in all sorts of different poses. Realisticly, not manga (yet again, trust me) it helps you realise how hands actually look, and how to draw them with ease in any pose. Then it's easier in any style. I don't know if it will help that style much, but for drawing in general, if you think of -- and draw -- the subject in basic shapes first(circles, ovals, rectangles, triangles etc.) then the overall figure improves. Also -- something I had to learn -- draw messy. No kidding, if you sketch arond a circle a few times in big confident curves, then rub away the lines you leave a circle that looks more circular (rather than the oval shaped flops freehand drawing usually comes up with). Above all, practice! Sketch things all the time, any time. Never give up, even if it's not someone else that doesn't like your work, it's you. Keep your sketches and pictures, and don't let yourself discourage you (I know about this!) Eventually you'll stop looking over your own shoulder so much. (EVERYONE always looks over their own shoulder, at everything.)
NOTICE: That was mostly genral improvement. Not nesesarily things I noticed you did wrong. This is art, there is no wrong.
I'm no great fan of that style, and don't know much about it, but I dso know that things like hips, eyes and hair are supposed to be exaggerated.

BTW...
Nicole said: By the way, you really ought to stop using the fact that you are just thirteen as an excuse for everything.

Ah! But there's an upside to that! I myself scraped up a first prize for traditional art over a 16 year old. The judges said they took my age (11 at the time) into consideration. The painting is pretty good for an 11 year old, in all modesty, and that ups your chances at a prize (not that I think of that on purpose, it's just how it is) So that kind of evens it out.

PS This I sooooo much easier than editing poetry (which is not my greatest field of work)!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:03 pm
View Likes
VariousUndine says...

It's nice, but you need to practice more. I mean, if you want to be serious in any way. At this point in your artistic skill, it's hard to give anything else but that kind of critique. You can only get better with practice. Though I did notice that while the body on the second pic is pretty good (well, for anime style), her... left arm? is way shorter than the right.

Learning from anime/manga is good for a while. It concentrates on simplicity, deformation, etc. It's easy to learn from. Practice by looking at pics and studying from it. Notice things about the body's proportions, how an anime figure is like... generally 7 and a half heads tall, the arms end at about midthigh, how long legs usually are, things like that. You have a general feel for proportion but your lines lack definition, shape. I think if you started by looking at art and copying it (that's looking at it and drawing it, not tracing, NEVER TRACING or I might have to eat you. I know.) you'd improve very rapidly.

I also agree. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I think the younger you are, the more time you have to practice. That's the only upside to age. I think it's taken me my whole life to draw the way I do, but that's the case with everything, you know? Good luck. If you work at it you'll have improved tenfold by April.
[size=0]"I know it's not a party if it happens every night/ pretending there's glamour and candlelabra when you're drinking by candlelight/ What does it take to get a drink in this place?"~ The Postal Service, "This Place Is A Prison" [/size]

683 Reviews

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

Omg Éloeré, you're like saying what my art teacher said! I know I do short lines, I don't use my elbow, (Thats how you get long nice clean lines) I normally use my hand.

My ittle story
When I was three (I remember this) I found this crayon, I made a mark on the floor with it when I was playing with it. I got up and looked around to make more marks. (I somehow didnt think of the walls..) I saw this carboard and magically started drawing! This were messy lines, but in a space of a year I started to be able to draw people. Ever since I started school, teachers (And pupils) have said I had talent in my work. Because of this compliments I did it more. (Just so I could praised more! :D ) Once, when my mum and dad came to pick me up from school (I was aged 5) The teacher told my parents to come in to see my work!! I was right pleased!

With the hand thing. It doesn't really work. I copied my hand (I'll try and steal it from class and scan it) It was like a copy apart from being black and white. The teacher even said that people who did standard grade could do such excellent work! I think its because I rush the hands.. which make it messy.

And yes VariousUndine one arm is much larger than the other. When I was looking over my work (it was coloured in at the time) I noticed that. I was like: AAAAAH NOOOOO!
And It would ruin my work if I rubbed it out. But take this into consideration (Cant be bothered checking my spelling) NO ONE can ever draw a perfect picture. EVERYONE make mistakes... Im just one of those people who does it alot.

If you must know, Im not being mean. Everyone who is my age says I have talent. And honestly in art, when sketching things I am one of the best. If you want I could send in some pics of my sketching of objects and that. I am really good at sketching but at the moment Im working on my anime/manga.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:44 pm
View Likes
Bobo says...

Keep working! I personally like more realistic anime/manga (my favorite is Naruto), but you're definitely drawing better than I did at your age, and you can look at some of my drawings from about a year ago and you'll probably be much better by the time you're 17. Good luck!

683 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:07 pm
Emma says...

Thank you. And yes of course the pics in there is better! They are done by ppl 10/20/30/40 years older than me! Anyhow Im playing to either be a graphics artist or anime artist. It depends though, I might need learn the Japan languge! :?

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:21 pm
View Likes
Midnight says...

Hey, I don't know much about manga but I can see improvement in everyone of these and they're very pretty. My sister loves Anime and Manga and so we have drawings of One Piece characters all around our house.
But yes can definately see talent there, wish I could draw like that at 13!
available

683 Reviews

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:15 pm
View Likes
Emma says...

Thank you. Though there are people even better than me at this age.

Have you ever heard of the pharse: The new communite is getting more cleverer than the old? Because its true, we are all becoming better at younger ages.

Mawahaha, I ate all the pies... :P

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:43 pm
View Likes
Lollipop says...

Well done Emma! I love them all but the second one's my favourite! :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly