z

Young Writers Society

Character sketches?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:57 am
Storygirl95 says...

I was just wondering something.
How do you guys do character sketches? Does the author just describe them to you? Do you ask for pictures of them that are close but not quite right and put them together? As in, this guy has the right hair, but his face looks more like this guys.
Do you just use your imagination? Do you read the story and draw them from there?

Just curious. :)
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:22 am
View Likes
Angrynoodles says...

Yeah, I do character sketches and different concept arts for my dedicated stories. However, I only do it because I typically forget what some of the characters look like haha

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:25 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

I can see that haha.
Actually, I can never figure out what my heroine's hair color is. Sometimes I imagine her being blonde and then sometimes she's a brunette.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 am
View Likes
Angrynoodles says...

That's exactly what happens with me and I will have to return to the first chapter and find where I described everyone's appearance, lol.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:28 am
crossroads says...

When it comes to my own characters, I'm not quite capable of drawing their face until I've gotten to know them, be it through sudden inspiration or through months of writing about them. When I take commissions and draw for other people, I usually ask for physical description and info on personality, as I believe no character sketch can look quite right if the artist focuses solely on the physical appearance.r
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:10 pm
Steggy says...

If I ever try to draw a character, it would have to be when I fully understand them or when I am beginning their story. Also if people, by some chance, someone asks me to draw them a character I'll have to focus on their personality or features.
I think sometimes, imagination can help the author; expand their characters and story.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 pm
Apricity says...

I have plenty of friends who are artists that can render their characters far more realistic than me, but rarely do you come across an artist who renders the 'perfect' character. Because very rarely do we manage to capture our thoughts and put them into words.

However, I'll share with you some tips they use to draw their characters. As Aria have said, getting to know your characters are important. Know their looks, their personalities and their beliefs. Once you know what they look like, look at reference pictures. Be it real people or drawn pictures, start studying how to draw different expressions, hair, body, what style do you want to draw them in? Keep in mind you won't accomplish this in a day or two, or even a week. But it'll be worth it.

DevaintArt has a large stock of drawing tutorials along with anatomy tutorials, it's the largest Art community online. There are also many other sites such as Tumblr and Pinterest where you can find and collect references.

Of course, if you're drawing for someone else. Then get as much detail as you can on that character before you start.

If you've got any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen