260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:25 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

Europe Part Two!

FRANCE & SPAIN
Where we left off...
After York, I went to Manchester for a couple of days, caught up with family in London and then went to Dublin. All the while not being very good with remembering to take photos (I think I got two photos in Dublin?). After Dublin I returned to London and caught the Eurostar to Paris, where I also didn't take many pictures. I did take this one, though.
Spoiler! :
Image[/img]
The lack of photos in Paris was partly because I was there with a friend, who was taking photos, and also because I already had plenty of Eiffel Tower pics from my last trip)

Toulouse
After Paris, I caught the train down to Toulouse, where I had properly hot weather for the first time on my trip! Yay! Sometimes known as la ville rose or 'the pink city', because of the colour of the buildings, Toulouse was insanely pretty. And also a lot closer to the Spanish border than I thought (Geography at my school was all about types of hills and erosion, so knowing where places are isn't my strong suit).
Spoiler! :

Barcelona
I went to Barcelona on a whim, because it was so close to Toulouse and I didn't really feel like doing another 5+ hour train trip. I hadn't felt drawn to Spain in the way I had other countries, but I ended up falling for Barcelona when I got lost in the drop-dead gorgeous Gothic Quarter on my first day there. Barcelona was all I saw of Spain, but I definitely want to see more of the country.

Spoiler! :

Party Jesus!

After Barcelona, I went beck into France to Montpellier, where I kind of chilled out a bit. No photos from there, which is a shame, because it's a beautiful little city full of narrow streets and lovely, very French architecture.

Marseille
You know how you see those post cards of beaches and you wonder whether the water's actually that blue in real life? The water in Marseille, along the coast actually is. I didn't get to explore the city as much as I might have liked to, but it's beautiful by the sea.

Spoiler! :

Marseille was my last stop in France, from there I headed into the very beautiful and very expensive Switzerland.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:39 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I'm going to keep doing this by country for the foreseeable future.

SWITZERLAND
Switzerland is the country where your budget goes to die. It's as picturesque as it gets, but boy oh boy it's expensive.

Basel
I stayed in this lovely city right on the border with both France and Germany. I think it's a little bit cheaper (by Swiss standards) to stay here, compared to places like Zurich, and it certainly doesn't get the same amount of tourism, but it's an utterly charming city, where you can catch the tram to another country. While I was there I walked across the German border and caught the tram to France and back. Easily the most scenic tram trip I've ever taken.

Spoiler! :

The Basel Munster has some of the best statues.

The tripoint monument, at the point where Switzerland, France and Germany meet (even though they technically meet in the middle of the river)

Zurich
Visited on a day trip. Spent much of the afternoon lounging around in the sun by the lake.
Spoiler! :

if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde