Young Writers Society

Need a Cover?

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

Hallo, hearts.

If you need a cover for your novel, ask away!
It will cost you one riddle. (Try not to repeat.)

Here are the things I need:

THE TITLE.
A basic plot/theme of your novel.
The mood of your novel, and it's genre.
A description of the novel's most important place.
A description of up to two of your characters.
Finally, tell me if you have any color preferences.

If you have something specific- a picture you took, a picture from Google, and object- in mind, detail it for me in your description.

HRM Queen Aurora of Hearts~
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:02 pm
Vervain says...

As the first customer, I feel the need to ask a basic riddle: What kind of room has no doors or windows?

As for my cover -- the title is 'The Mysterious Misfortune of Miss Scarlett Fawkes'. It's a steampunk murder mystery, in which the main character's teacher dies and she goes on a hunt for the one who killed him, getting embroiled in other mysteries along the way.

Descriptions: The most important place... one could say it's the abandoned Spire -- a thin black tower in the center of the city that looms over everything. The main character, Scarlett, is a tomboy who wears her (dark auburn) hair braided; her brother-figure, Claude, is taller than her and sandy-haired. Neither of them have totally-solid faces in my mind, so go with whatever feels best.

Color preference, probably just not anything light or pastel. xD
stay off the faerie paths

212 Reviews

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

Done!
Answer to the riddle: a... mushroom?

Too big of a file to attach:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8UGH ... sp=sharing

@Arkhaion

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:10 pm
Storygirl95 says...

Title: Monsters Take Many Forms
It's a story where this girl is being chased by this horrendous monster until at the end we realize it's just a moth and she has mottephobia.
It's horror at the beginning but it silly at the end. There's some slight romance at the end too.
The story takes place entirely in a bedroom at night time so it's dark. She has to hide from the moth in an armoire.
The story is of a girl in her 20's who is a mildly sassy little redhead and a guy(they're dating) who is most definitely extra sassy and has dark hair and brown eyes also in his 20s.
No color preferences I guess besides that it should be darker since it's during the night and has the allusion of being a horror story.
Note: it can't be a picture of a moth of have one in it because you're not supposed to know it's a moth until the end. It's a surprise.

Here's my riddle: Four guys decide that they want to go have some fun. They all drive out to a lake, rent a boat, and paddle out to the middle of the lake. They start messing around, rocking the boat and just playing around. Unfortunately, the boat capsizes, and they all fall into the lake. But not a single man got wet. How is this possible?
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 pm
Hattable says...

@Storygirl95 SPOILERS!

Spoilers!

SPOILERS!

"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

212 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 am
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

storygirll.PNG

@Storygirl95

Done! I didn't include the people (in full vision) because I didn't think it fit.

The riddle: (do tell me if I'm right): They're all boys :D

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 am
Storygirl95 says...

Sorry, @Hattable
I didn't mean to stress you out.

And @QueenOfHearts that's beautiful!
That's not the answer I have, but it's a very correct answer nonetheless. I think I'll say the riddle has two answers now haha. It's really that they're all married or dating. So they're not single. But I like your answer too! :D
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:04 am
Tuesday says...

Heyo~

So.. Billi Wack and the Story of Mystery

Basically about a mutant goat who escaped from NAPA (National Animals Protection Agency) and runs into Sarah Jones, a stay at home mom who has no job and was married but her love died (such sadness). As they are doing their thing of not trying to be caught by NAPA, we have the POV of the other characters (Samuel, Martha, and Mr. Rubel). Sam and Martha are looking for NAPA since the company they work for (or rather got into) wanted to expose the world to NAPA's harsh crimes. Typical marriage starter for the newlyweds.

Humor, mystery and a tad of suspense (but that is going to be coming somewhat soon.. I hope ;-;). Speculative fiction (as for what Ark said).

Mostly the important part is escaping from NAPA and (soon) the child of Sarah is going to be kidnapped! Mostly it happens fast but not too fast that you are like 'what the heck happened?' or something. Billi runs while Sarah is also kidnapped and Mr. Rubel threats Billi that he will kill everything he loves.

Billi Wack- a mutant goat with a strong sense of fun, adventure and courage. He has a slick grey coat that is covered with spongy yellow baby clothes, that always has a milk stain around the collar and curved goat horns that come out of the top of his head. He is the delinquent that escaped NAPA and hopes to have to never go back.

Sarah Jones- a woman in her late thirties that was a grocer at the local grocery store before her husband died from a car crash. She doesn't like to talk about the accident, nonetheless the people involved and just pretends to happy for once. She helps Billi with whatever he needs and soon builds a strong bond of friendship and trust (also love?)

Also no color preferences.

Riddle!
Question: There is a story that a man and not a man
Saw and did not see a bird and not a bird
Perched on a branch and not a branch
And hit him and did not hit him with a rock and not a rock.

How is this possible?

Thanks again~
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

212 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 am
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

Alright, fiiine.
Cover: (too big to attach)

Riddle: Did it happen in a dream?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@QueenOfHearts I totally googled that last one, and you would never have come up with the answer in a million billion zillion years. Whoa.

Me next, me next!

Title: The Book Man

Basic Plot: Christian Abernathy is a shy accountant who loves nothing as much as books. His life is turned upside when an injured balloon artist comes to his door one night in need of help. Suddenly Christian finds himself spending every night in an enchanted park--until an ancient creature attacks. Now Christian must face an adventure the likes of which he has only read about.

Most Important Setting: Celadon Park. I could describe the whole thing, but it's very big and I always picture the gate figuring in the cover, so let me just describe that. It's very high--so tall it looms over you when you stand before it--made of wrought iron, arch-shaped when it's closed but the kind of arch that's pointed at the top. The walls on either side of it are made of stone but are covered in thick ivy. You can see some treetops over the top of the wall. There's a sidewalk in front of it.

Characters: Christian Abernathy. Very tall and thin. Pale skin, black hair, and blue eyes. Wears glasses. Clean-shaven. Generally wears slacks and a button-down shirt, even if he's not working. (He's an accountant.) Shy, socially awkward, impossibly polite. Loves reading and books. (His house is called The Book House and it appears to be made of books. Not that that's not an important setting, but it's not the point of action or anything.)

Goblin. Even taller than Christian, skeletal, with mottled greyish-blue skin. Overlarge bald head, very thin and sharply pointed hooked nose. Eyes are very deep-set, but when you see them they're as brilliantly blue as a summer sky (really his only feature that's not hideously ugly). Four arms, two legs (all gangling and bony), long toes. Huge batlike wings. A lion's tail. He wears a sort of kilt, and that's it.

Color Preference: Darker colors, probably. To be honest I picture the cover being like the park gate opening inward and light coming from behind it and Christian silhouetted in front of it like he's about to go in, but I am terrible and can never make it look like I want. HOWEVER, I'm totally open to any ideas you might have, because the covers you've done so far are awesome (I especially liked the Monsters one).

And now, a riddle.

Poor people have it. Rich people need it. If you eat it, you die. What is it?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:36 am
Hattable says...

@Storygirl95, I was joking. :p

@QueenOfHearts / @Blaspherica, oh my god, that cover for Billi Whack is amazing. ;-;

Also, I shall stop commenting here unless I have a request. Apologies.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

212 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:37 am
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

There y'are.

Too big to fit.

The bookcase might be too much. I don't know...

@BlueAfrica

Riddle: Nothing

@Hattable thanks.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:12 pm
RagingLive says...

Hi, QueenOfHearts! I absolutely love all of your covers so far, and since I need one for my NaNo book, I figured why let someone who knows what they're doing take over? (I would be hopeless, let me tell you!)

Title: The Medousa Tree (yes, medousa with an 'o')

I don't quite have a plot or theme yet, but I do know that it's about a girl seeking vengeance for her brother's death. She's a hacker and she's searching for some people who might be able to help her if she doesn't kill them first. Together, her and these people join up against Medousa (I'm not even sure what Medousa is yet, xD) and each have a variety of talents. The protagonist is the techie while the other two are agents - like the brain and the brawn comparison.
Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't. Like I said, I don't even know what's going on.

I'm not sure about the location because I know for sure that they're going to be traveling a lot. So maybe a hotel room? Or a plane? Or a ship? One of the big scenes did take place in a city's underground water-way.

Well, this girl's name is Beth and she's the narrator because so far my book is placed in first person narrative. She's brainy but has her looks and while she can be a pessimist sometimes, she has never been a quitter. She's twenty years old and has been looking for her brother's killer ever since she blew out of his funeral three years before because of a clue he left her. She also is in a love/hate relationship with chai tea.

I would prefer darker, ominous colors and hues just as it is fitting with a mystery/suspense book.

Now for the real test . . .
Sherlock stumbles into a crime scene. The victim is the owner of the house who is slumped dead on a chair and have a bullet hole in his head. A gun lies on the floor and a cassette recorder is found on the table. On pressing the play button, Sherlock hears the message 'I have committed sins in my life and now I offer my soul to the great Lord' and a gunshot follows.
Sherlock smiles, of course it's a murder.
'Cause your own story, is the safest place you'll ever be
~Echosmith

212 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:17 pm
View Likes
TheCrimsonLady says...

Done! (I /love/ this one.)

Alright... the man was religious (Christian) and God says not to commit suicide.

@RagingLive

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:28 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

(Can I offer my guess to the last one? Someone had to be there to press "stop" on and rewind the tape recorder so Sherlock would press "play" -- otherwise it would have still been running/at the end when he got there.)
stay off the faerie paths

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres